We Have A Problem !

My wife does a lot of online transactions with her homeschool groups and their is the same kind of fraud happening there. One way that helps confirm the seller actually has the product is to include in the picture a paper with their screen name and date.

Yah, I used that a lot as a young teenager with Crutchfield getting car stereo equipment, and Summit Racing for engine parts.

I'd think UPS, and FedEx don't like dealing with cash, and no-shows at delivery. But Yah, that would put a hole in the pocket book of the thieves!

Does anyone remember C.O.D.? : Cash on delivery. How I miss that! The good old days. And they call this mess progress.
When you go to fill out a shipping form on UPS.com C.O.D. is still a check box. Don't know what they charge but I think it must still be available.

I have been scammed once for a couple of hundred dollars and learned from it.

Now I look at the sellers profile and the type of post he makes.
If they are all sales, I pass.
If he has not been a member very long, I pass.
If he does not have at least 100 gun related post that Indicate he IS a rifle,shooter, Reloader, I pass.
I once used Google map to see a sellers house using the address and after a little friendly conservation with him, found out that his house and car was nothing like he described. I passed On the deal and mover on.

It is to bad that you cant trust everyone on this site but that's just a sign of the times. PS Len "does" keep an eye on these scammers that use this site and with our help I think he does a good job. If he is PM'ed
and is allowed time to research this person. If done this way, an honest person Is not branded. If this person Is a scammer, Len will remove him from this site.

J E CUSTOM

Also I never risk more than I can afford to lose.

This is such a huge jump of faith I never imagined I would do. But so far it as worked for me. I have bought a few higher end scopes and nice shotgun, and am now in the process of buying a tuned scale. If you don't think it's a priority on your mind all day to send 3 grand to some num num in forum, you haven't lived yet. Feel it out people. If it's to good to be true ...PASS. If the member is less than 2 years do more research. Certainly look at https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/how-to-use-the-buyers-sellers-feedback-forum.134308/ I am sure I may have passed a good deal or two but so fa I have not been taken for all my money.

I hate to see this, I've done tons of buying and selling on this and other sites and never been taken. I've ran across several scammers and I try to point them out when I'm for sure it's a scam. I have never had a problem with anyone that I spoke to on the phone. If the seller will not talk on the phone it's a no go! If I'm suspicious I always ask for more detailed pictures,if they can provide the requested pics then I assume they are just socially awkward.

I have to say that the shooting community is one of the most honorable I've dealt with. I'd say the scammers can be weeded out by asking questions that a non shooter can't answer. Like others have said use your intuition.

I've done this in the past. After I get an address where to ship my funds, I will contact the seller, saying we are both in luck. I tell him I have a brother/friend that lives in that same town/city, and that they are willing to stop by and pick up the item in person. If the seller starts giving you a ******** story about how he can't meet up and is all of a sudden willing to drop the shipping charged, FORGET ABOUT IT. And if they agree to meet up with said friend, I just respond that friend is out of town for awhile and to just ship it. Worked so far, haven't been ripped off yet, but I'm sure the day is coming.

I ''think'' i posted on here before about using USPS Money orders, speaking from experience about getting ripped off. I was scammed for 750.00 i had the guy's address who the money order was mailed to, i called the local sheriff, they sent out a guy to interview this guy. He denied knowing me, dealing with me, every thing. I called the postal inspector, nothing, they were sympathetic, but, i lost all my money. This kind of ''fraud'' is not important to them , they must have bigger fish to fry. I even had the bank, and the tellers number where the MO was deposited, i crossed all my T's, dotted all my i's, in trying to run this guy and my money down. It did NO GOOD AT ALL. Hint, ask for references, do every thing you can to protect yourself if the person is for real, they will be willing to wait for your money. You get in a hurry, you'll loose your money, BUYER BEWARE

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts