Need help with a problem

nelson

I am trying to find a souloution for a problem. One of my customers and the owner of my best gopher and badger shooting pasture! Has a teenage son whose shoots right handed but only has vision in his left eye. They would like to find a scope mounting system that would offset the optics for use with the left eye but allow for comfortable right handed shooting. I have mentioned the possibility of switching to left handed shooting but this is not an option because of some physical problems he has due to the same birth abnormality that ruined his right eye. Any help with this ie: Manufactures links etc would be very much appreciated.

varmicide,
I once developed a severe pain on my right elbow to the point that even when shooting my 9mm it would hurt a lot. I started practicing with my left hand and it worked pretty good after a while. All this to say that in the search I learned that if you hold the gun in your right hand, throw your head to the right, over the right shoulder while aiming using your left eye has the same efect. You'll be on target! Of course this did not help me because my problem was my right elbow not my right eye. Please try it your self and and you'll see it's very doable and you can still be pretty accurate.

I saw a guy at the range shoot right handed using the left eye. Claimed to be left eye dominant and shot that way all the time.

Couple of weeks later he was out there again, this time his son was shooting right handed using the left eye ...

Seems like it would really hurt the nose, but that's what they were doing.

My Great grandmother shot the same way. They made a custom stock that had alot of drop in the comb and slight bend to the right. The gun was shot open sights. Just a thought.

Being right handed and left eye dominant I sorta know where he is coming from.My nephews have the same problem and we just taught them to shoot left handed from the start.
He might try useing a pistol.Its the easiest I have found to use my left eye and still shoot right handed?(Might be a problem useing a pistol in Cananda though?)
Another option is to trim the stock down,in essents take the cheek weld area down till he can rest his head down far enough to use his left eye.It might not work with a gun with a LOT of recoil but I know it works with the little critter-getters.Here is a pic of kinda what I mean.
Sorry I dont know of any scope mounts but am sure it could be done.
cheek.jpg

More pics

Hi we custom made a 2" high mount for a guy here in Australia out of steel as he had the same problem and he is shooting it very well. You can also ger mounting spacers for AR 15 flat top recievers that fit weaver bases and lift the scope 1" that is all you need and he can shoot without any problem.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Well from my shotgun competition experience, I ran across a guy once that had this issue. His correction for it was a custom wood stock that had LOTS of cast off in the buttstock. By having the cast off, it allowed his head to slide farther across the gun and would line up his left eye with the rib. I think this could be done pretty easily. Might get in contact with Fred Wenig. I'm sure Fred would be able to make a blank to suit the kid's needs. Good luck.

If you call RW Hart 1-800-368-3656 they have what they call an offset scope base. It is made of aluminum and will offset the scope 2 1/4" to the side of the firearm. I am looking at it in their 2006 product catalog. They also have a web site, maybe they show a picture of it in there also. www.rwhart.com
Hope this helps. Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.