We Have A Problem !

dok7mm

Guys, it's pretty well known that we have a problem on LRH. Every week, or so, someone gets ripped off by the scammers on this site.

Just in the last few months, there has been money lost to USASTRIPES, hunternhunter, prohuntersmind, flowhnun63,Blumboss33, Gregori779, Onestep01 and firstblood907. These Scumbags have been all been new members, who run up a fast post count, become "well-known members" and then start posting FOR SALE adds at reduced price point. By the time we get news that someone has lost money, they are on their next user name, building up a new scam.

This is a high volume site, for guns and optics, a perfect target because we buy and sell high dollar items to other shooters, people we trust. Well, it's been proven that we can't do that in every case.

It is hard for us to accuse anyone, we are suspicious of, for fear we may be wrong. I have bought more than I've sold here and mostly I've dealt with good honest people. I have also dealt with people that made the hair stand up on my neck. I stopped the deal and knew they were scammers, but I did not warn others. Had I spoken up, a couple of guys would still have their money, because 5 of the Scumbags above were on my list.

I don't know what Len can do to resolve this problem or what WE can do, beyond our own due diligence. As is, "well-known member" means nothing.

Last edited:
I haven't counted, and could be the new format, but the number of stuff for sell seems to have taken a big jump. Could be there's just a lot of us here these days.

It is tough to call BS on the scammers, best ones always have a couple advocates because it takes the form of a Ponzi scheme, and the early arrivers came out OK. One awhile back scammed a bunch of folks on multiple sites. Some saw it coming, and hard feelings all around after.

I do Paypal only purchase. With Paypal there is at lease some protection. I absolutely will not do money order. I got stung for 15K down in a backhoe years ago and never again with money order. I got most of my money back over about 2 years and monthly payments. Knock on wood but I have yet to get burned with paypal and not get my money back.

Best way I can see is put a timeframe required to be a member before someone can post something to sell. example someone signs up on 12/11/17 must be a (active) member for 3 months or longer before you can post to sell. May not stop it but would deter most scammers to put in the time to do it. Just my thoughts.

Yeah it definitely sucks. Being a newer member I was hesitant to even try to sell a rifle on here just bc of all the BS going on. Wonder if there's anyway they could make to where someone has to be a member for 3-6 months with a certain post count to be able to post in the classifieds? At least make it a little harder for them to scam ppl. But I agree with ppl above saying use PayPal. I always pay the extra 3% for my peace of mind, although I don't think it'd cover a gun purchase.

I do Paypal only purchase. With Paypal there is at lease some protection. I absolutely will not do money order. I got stung for 15K down in a backhoe years ago and never again with money order. I got most of my money back over about 2 years and monthly payments. Knock on wood but I have yet to get burned with paypal and not get my money back.

The problem is that Paypal will not do firearms purchases. If you "sneak it through" using the Friends & Family cash, it still doesn't help.

So, it may work for other items but not for firearms.

I had a long running dispute with PayPal, five years ago, so started using USPS MOs. Never had a problem with them, selling or buying.

I don't think payment method is the big thing, if you stick with checking out the sellers, every which way. I check all postings, telephone to talk to directly, check address, etc. Plus, I don't buy from anyone who hasn't been here six months, any longer.

Best way I can see is put a timeframe required to be a member before someone can post something to sell. example someone signs up on 12/11/17 must be a (active) member for 3 months or longer before you can post to sell. May not stop it but would deter most scammers to put in the time to do it. Just my thoughts.
Haha must have been writing my post when you posted yours.

...pay money to the forum using a debit or credit card to use the classifieds...sucks, but it will def put the brakes on these clowns trying to score a quick buck.
Sucks that it could come to that but on a positive note you'd have a name and bank associated with the card. So if there was a problem at Least you know where to start

Maybe use the forum as a drop shop. You buy something on the site and send the money to the site the seller sends the item to the site and the transaction takes place. of course at a price so the site admin gets something for their time and handling

Maybe use the forum as a drop shop. You buy something on the site and send the money to the site the seller sends the item to the site and the transaction takes place. of course at a price so the site admin gets something for their time and handling
Not a bad idea, but would take time and extra shipping + fees. Total price would be prohibitive.

That's why I always like to see what I am buying, photos don't tell or show it all a lot of the times. And I like to meet who I am dealing with, you can often tell a crook just taking to them for a few minutes. Ever talk to a car salesman? Same thing!. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Possibly try Venmo?? I know that our local PRS and steel competition uses Venmo instead of paypal to sign up for a match, because I believe it has the same protection but is not run by anti gun types, and I think it covers firearm purchases. I have never bought or sold in my few years as a member, but this may be a better way then paypal.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.