Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

I have no need for a 6.5 CM bolt gun because of my existent few swedes and 6.5-06's

if I was building an AR, I'd go with the cm over the 260 though.

If Remington would of done it right to begin with the creedmoor would have never seen the light of day. By that I mean a 260 improved! Not just a simple neck down regurgitated 308. Built on a short action with a bit longer than there standard S.A. box, throated for the long 140 class modern pills and a 1:8 twist! Remington is behind the times. The creed picked up where Remington stopped, and got it right. The reason I like the creed is it should match the ballistics of my Swede with 140's so I can have a practice rig without burning that barrel up and it has a better design than the standard 260 imho. Just my $.02

JE, the .280 Rem/.280 Rem Exp. and the 7mm RemMag are 2 totally different cartridges altogether... One is a standard bolt face, the other is a magnum cartridge.

I KNOW THAT !!!, It was just a reference to what Remington did to a great cartridge like many others.but the performance with less powder is what I was referring to. Also the 7mm rem mag was in response to the popularity of the 264 Win mag. And if you remember, If you were anybody, you owned a 7 rem mag. it became the most popular cartridge of its time and almost everybody loaded ammo for it.

There have been many more great cartridges that fell by the wayside because of poor twist rates and poorer marketing And not just from Remington.

Now with all of the new powders the 280 AI will out velocity the 7 Mag
most of the time with the same weight bullets. and many other great cartridges have only been saved by gunsmiths and experienced shooters and hunters because they knew their value and performance potential.

J E CUSTOM

Q: Was the 6.5 CM really a necessity?
A: NO! Necessity of anything is all relative.

It is irrelevant who drops the ball and missed the opportunity or who capitalizes on the opportunity and is raking in the benefits. What it is important is that we have an additonal choice available to us and for that I am thankful. I do not have a 6.5 CM at the moment; my 6.5x55 Swede (has been around longer than our venerable .30-06) which fills that gap.

Life is all about choices, what we do with them is entirely up to us ... just saying. :D

I don't understand the hate for a cartridge. You have a choice!!!
There's literally hundreds of threads on Facebook just hating on the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Now it's starting on here!!

This forum is changing..

I agree...and for long range plinking and target practice and coyote hunting, the 6.5 cm is fantastic. I have a factory a7, Its shot everything submoa...not many frickin factory rifles do that! My milspec 308 is the only factory rifle I've had do that. Coincidence that they're chambered in two cartridges known for being inherently accurate...I think not. Yesterday I shot my creed at 880yds in a full value wind that was gaining in strength from 12mph to 15mph. I missed my first shot, corrected and stayed on target for the next three, I wouldn't have stayed in target in that wind with my 308 and 168pills...And I'm not burning 80+gr of powder each shot. The unsung truth about long range hunting is practice, practice, and more practice, and the 6.5cm is the perfect round for it.

Everyone says, it's the people who shoot the Creed is the reason for the hate. I know several respectable people on this site and others who found the benefit of the Creed design.

So... the thread will get fired up, several people comment, and not one more comment will ever depict the people. It's always the cartridge.
Inanimate objects seem to be in the crosshairs anymore.

I don't understand the hate for a cartridge. You have a choice!!!
There's literally hundreds of threads on Facebook just hating on the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Now it's starting on here!!

This forum is changing..
Yep true story. Sadly enough, us that actually know what we're talking about and chose the cartridge for good reasons get lumped into the same crowd as the supporters and you can't tell anyone different because we shoot the creepmoor, needmoor, crapmoor, or whatever else they can come up with.

I have said it and still do, "There is no best cartridge" Any cartridge can be loaded to be accurate in the right rifle. It can also perform to the owners needs and likes. Use, dictates how well a cartridge performs and when the right combination is chosen it can perform brilliantly.

I don't own a Creedmoore because I don't need one. My choices are based on many things and dislikes, is not one of those things. What I "Like" may be what someone else Doesn't, and that's what makes the world go round.

The fact that a cartridge has a large following says much about a cartridges appeal, The fact that a particular cartridge doesn't, Doesn't mean it's a bad cartridge, It just means that there is less need for it in that area.

It is also very interesting that different areas have different cartridge popularity.

Like many, I don't hate any cartridge. But I do like most of the cartridges that I have for their use whether they have a catchy name or not. It Just A Name. I pay no attention to advertising and hype because it has no bearing on the real performance when used for the right purpose.

Just My 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

.....It is also very interesting that different areas have different cartridge popularity......J E CUSTOM

When I bought my .260 it was because, both it, and the 6.5 Creedmoor rifles were scarce in this area, and I found a .260 in rifle that suited the purpose I had in mind. If I had come across a 6.5 in the same rifle I would have bought that.

I know where more than one is on the shelf, but I have no intention of changing.

Currently looking at rifles for a young man I shoot with that's left handed. reducing further the number of available packages I'm interested in.

No bad cartridges really, just those that are misapplied.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.