Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

Ok I'll bite...... here's my take on it.

The creed does do something the 260 doesn't, and that's fit in a short action easier. You can load high bc bullets out to the lands and still fit in the mag. Especially with the new super 6.5 bullets such as the 147 eld, 150 smk, and the soon to come 155 berger, there's no way your going to make those work in a 260 and still fit in the mag. Unless you shove that bullet way down in then the creed will end up being faster anyways because it's not taking up the needed powder space. The case design is better with the 30° shoulder, not allowing as much case stretch. It was a well thought out cartridge. As said before, if it wasn't working then it would have never taken off. It's the most popular 6.5 on the market by far. Not many cartridges have taken off as quickly as the creed has. Also, to be completely honest, I'm not seeing any 260 numbers coming close to what I'm getting in my creed, and I'm using less powder. At this point, it's much more practical to get a CM over a 260 or x47 unless you want to be different. Brass is everywhere, ammo, and rifles in every configuration imaginable.

I saw a vid that had a comparison of the 260 Rem and the 6.5 Creed, with the only real difference being that the 260 Rem was more for handloaders and the 6.5 Creed was for non-handloaders, because of loaded ammunition availability..

I can understand their reasoning in that video. The factory ammunition for the Creedmoor is superior in variety and quality in most mainstream stores than the 260 or any of the other short action 6.5's. It's pretty obvious that Hornady was also trying to kill the 260 Remington to me too.... To the point of them sacrificing potential ammunition sales in that caliber. I know I would have bought a lot of their ammunition had it been offered in 260, before I started rolling my own. Now, because of therir attitude towards the 260, I don't even like buying their bullets to load in any of my calibers. It just left a sour taste with me.

Also, to be completely honest, I'm not seeing any 260 numbers coming close to what I'm getting in my creed, and I'm using less powder.

I haven't started loading for the Creedmoor yet, I have about 100 cases of brass from stuff I bought and shot breaking in the barrel and siighting in the rifle. Maybe I will see some magic numbers when I start making my own rounds.

I know with my 260, I'm getting around 2750 fps with 42.0 grains of h4350 on 142 grain match kings. I plan on loading 140 vld's for hunting deer and I'm sure it'll work fine. I'm just partial to my 260. I hope this creed delivers on all the hype I've heard about this round.....

Hornady makes hunting and target ammo for the 260. Their 129 SST Superformance does 2930 out of a 24" barrel and they make a 130 ELD/M for it too.

I disagree that they targeted the 260's demise. I think they just created a very good product and were very successful bringing it to market. Remington just sat on it's hands and continued to market the 260 as a hunting round without high BC bullets. The 260 sux without high BC bullets. That's why it never took off in that market. It was an underperformer.

The 260 is not the only cartridge the CM has challenged. Just retired my beloved 25/06 for a CM. Have shot both for a few years and the CM just flat out performs my 25/06 as a hunting round at range. So this year I rebarreled.

Talking about taking a 260 with hunting bullets up against something like a 25/06 or 243 or 270 with hunting bullets. In those standard factory ammo configurations, it just didn't perform too well.

I wouldn't say that Hornady targeted the 260's demise, but they sure did not help the 260 at all. I still have yet to see any 143grain precision hunter chambered 260, or any match ammo ELDM 147 grain in 260.

Remington just sat on it's hands and continued to market the 260 as a hunting round without high BC bullets
This is something that I was never told. I was under the impression that the 260 never took off, because Remington dropped the ball and offered that caliber rifles with a 1:9 twist instead of 1:8 twist, therefore making heavier bullets not perform as well as they could. As for the 260 and low bc bullets, I would have to think that most calibers would perform sucky with low BC bullets, including the Creedmoor.

I haven't started loading for the Creedmoor yet, I have about 100 cases of brass from stuff I bought and shot breaking in the barrel and siighting in the rifle. Maybe I will see some magic numbers when I start making my own rounds.

I know with my 260, I'm getting around 2750 fps with 42.0 grains of h4350 on 142 grain match kings. I plan on loading 140 vld's for hunting deer and I'm sure it'll work fine. I'm just partial to my 260. I hope this creed delivers on all the hype I've heard about this round.....
As a contrast, for me 42 grains of h4350 yields 2840 in about 20-30°F temps. 42 grains of rl-17 runs 2885 in summer temps of about 70. These are from a 26in

I wonder if the 30-06 guys felt like the 260 guys do when the 308 came along and out dated it?
Lmao I'm not trying to sound sour towards the Creedmoor, but that is a great analogy lol I'm really just wondering if I was missing something. People's numbers like this:

As a contrast, for me 42 grains of h4350 yields 2840 in about 20-30°F temps. 42 grains of rl-17 runs 2885 in summer temps of about 70. These are from a 26in

are what I was looking for in debating of these two.

Last edited:
The creed is my new most favorite caliber to shoot. Yesterday was the first handload groups out of my gun. 3/4" @ 300yds for 2 powder charges and under .375@ 100 for 2 other powder charges Each not for both in both cases. Factory ammo has not shot bigger than .75@100yds 125deerxp and 140 otm from American Eagle. Hard not to like what it's doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.