Updated Factory Short Magnums/Ultramags

Preferred magnum/ultramag bottle neck cartridge Hunting Rifle setup

• Total voters
I put a preferred action/barrel length poll up there. Let me know what you think. I tried to change it to "for long or short magnum bottlenecked cartridges" but it wont let me
Here is my opinion.
The "short mags" are not really a "magnum" if they merely match a standard long action cartridge capability. They just do it very well in a short action.
25SST=25-06 Rem
6.5PRC=6.5-06 Rem
6.8 Western=.270 Win
7SAUM=.280AI

And they match a lesser cartridge with a longer barrel. Which makes them far more handy without giving up overall velocity. But there are cons as well. Recoil, muzzle blast, cost per shot, barrel life.
18" 6.5PRC=26" 6.5CM
20" 6.5PRC=24" .260AI
20" .264WM=24" 6.5PRC

Like this:
fa5f106765be4ff55545d35266deff36.jpg

The true magnums start with the .257Wby, .264WM, 7RM, .300WM, etc. Then, you threw in "Ultra Mag" in the poll title. Which are another step up.
Also, your results here are going to be relevant for this crowd of LR shooters/hunters. Which even out west, maybe constitutes 30% of the population. I have buddies that have never shot past 300 yards. And they think 500 is stupid.

That being said, I have a few short(er) barreled short mags. They all serve their purpose and shoot extremely well, but I knew the limitations going in.

I will go cast my vote for "magnum".

Correct me if I'm wrong. You are wanting a .30-6.5 PRC, or something similar, in a factory short action rifle, with an appropriate twist rate barrel, and factory ammunition loaded with the modern long, heavy bullets. Essentially a modernized version of the 300 wsm or 300 saum. I can see a market for that.

Same could be said about a 7-6.5PRC, with same principles. Many still love the 7 saum, but there is no factory ammunition to suit the desires of those who use it.

This is all due to SAAMI specs of those cartridges that were created before the long, heavy bullets of today.

I think the point most are missing is, not all of us handload, therefore we would like a cartridge designed for the modern projectiles, but with availability of store bought ammunition.

You can buy 300WSM Factory loaded ammo with heavies. Federal Premium 200 ELDX ammo for one. Runs 2850 from a 24". Not sure another SA cartridge is really going to do any better than a 300WSM already does. Maybe a 300SS but not going to get factory ammo for it. 300WSM has a crap ton of factory ammo offerings. Figure about -25 fps per inch as you reduce length of barrel.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong. You are wanting a .30-6.5 PRC, or something similar, in a factory short action rifle, with an appropriate twist rate barrel, and factory ammunition loaded with the modern long, heavy bullets. Essentially a modernized version of the 300 wsm or 300 saum. I can see a market for that.

Same could be said about a 7-6.5PRC, with same principles. Many still love the 7 saum, but there is no factory ammunition to suit the desires of those who use it.

This is all due to SAAMI specs of those cartridges that were created before the long, heavy bullets of today.

I think the point most are missing is, not all of us handload, therefore we would like a cartridge designed for the modern projectiles, but with availability of store bought ammunition.
Yep I just updated the thread name to "factory" maybe that will help...

I like the creedmoor but bullets are too small and slow for me, same with 65PRC. 7PRC is long action. 300WSM is throat and twist issues for 212s or 220s... I hope hornady goes after 300wsm next. Market got close with the 6.8W with 7.5twist and 175SGKs but its dead

I don't understand what it would take for Remington to just submit a new SAAMI for the 7 and 30 SAUM and call it SAUM Improved. Literally take the old cartridges and knock a few hundredths off the case length or keep the same length and change the COAL from 2.8 or 2.825 (whichever is current) to 2.950 and post the appropriate twist rate for each. Might not get the attention it once would have since Remington and RemArms are different companies now.

The 7 PRC might finally kill off the 7 SAUM but it seems to still have a huge following.

Might be a subconscious thing but some people like the idea of a short action round over long. Maybe it's 100fps less performance out of shorter barrel but that extra 3/4" shorter bolt throw blows people's minds along with the 3-5oz less weight.

Of course this topic isn't the most fitting in the long range hunting crowd because let's face it, nobody wants less performance when shooting 600+ yards.

If you can't get the 6-8 factory rifle makers to chamber a new round, no point in anybody making the cartridge. People want it but not enough to create it. Unfortunate sad truth.

Im talking all factory guns and loaded ammo not custom guns or reloading because its a pain and im out of that phase. For your question probably the same performance but 300 win short mag was designed around lighter bullets, outdated twists and its a pain finding ammo because winchester doesnt make enough and hornady doesnt do it.
I love the 300wsm with 175 grain or 180 grain hunting bullets. I will reload if I have to but will hunt with this caliber until I can't.
He'll I said the same thing about the 45-70 back in the early 1970's and I probably shoot more long range targets with it than any other gun I own. Just fun to shoot.

I don't understand what it would take for Remington to just submit a new SAAMI for the 7 and 30 SAUM and call it SAUM Improved. Literally take the old cartridges and knock a few hundredths off the case length or keep the same length and change the COAL from 2.8 or 2.825 (whichever is current) to 2.950 and post the appropriate twist rate for each. Might not get the attention it once would have since Remington and RemArms are different companies now.

The 7 PRC might finally kill off the 7 SAUM but it seems to still have a huge following.

Might be a subconscious thing but some people like the idea of a short action round over long. Maybe it's 100fps less performance out of shorter barrel but that extra 3/4" shorter bolt throw blows people's minds along with the 3-5oz less weight.

Of course this topic isn't the most fitting in the long range hunting crowd because let's face it, nobody wants less performance when shooting 600+ yards.

If you can't get the 6-8 factory rifle makers to chamber a new round, no point in anybody making the cartridge. People want it but not enough to create it. Unfortunate sad truth.
Long range hunting is different for different areas and ones expectations according to skills and budget.