Short action magnums

@ reubenski,..
IMO,. It's more than,.. "What's New" for a Serious, Elk Rifle Cartridge, LOTS of Hunters, ARE,.. "Jumping on Board"
Read up on it and, it's,.. Merits but,.
There's Nothing, really "Wrong" with, the 7 MM Rem Mag or, 7 WSM, ( If,.. "Doctored up", "Right" by, the Gun Smith ! )
Hornady has made, all the Improvements, "necessary", on those older 2 with, the 7 PRC, design and,.. IT's,.. selling !
My son just Built one AFTER,. Studying, ALL of, the Pro's and Cons of, most, 7 MM,.. Elk "capable", Rifle cartridges.

Last edited:
Well lefty I bought mine from the gun shop in 2004 . It was for a mule deer hunt in Montana . I was told that it was the latest greatest of all time . The three other guys had 7mm rems and I just had to be different . Almost 20 years later and it still shoots . If I were going on a hunt tomorrow and needed a new rifle oh the options I would have 🤷‍♂️

Well lefty I bought mine from the gun shop in 2004 . It was for a mule deer hunt in Montana . I was told that it was the latest greatest of all time . The three other guys had 7mm rems and I just had to be different . Almost 20 years later and it still shoots . If I were going on a hunt tomorrow and needed a new rifle oh the options I would have 🤷‍♂️
Yup,. in the Early 2,000's,.. ALL, the WSM's,.. RULED !
And the 7 WSM was,.. "Hot Stuff",.. THEN !
But, 10 years from Now,.. I'm pretty SURE that, the 7 PRC, will still BE,.."Around"
The 7 WSM ???? Maybe,.. Maybe,.. not !

Last edited:
I sure hope me and mine will be . Chances are I will still have plenty of factory ammo . Hopefully we all will be around and still able to discuss firearms and not just in the " remember when " stories !

@ reubenski,..
IMO,. It's more than,.. "What's New" for a Serious, Elk Rifle Cartridge, LOTS of Hunters, ARE,.. "Jumping on Board"
Read up on it and, it's,.. Merits but,.
There's Nothing, really "Wrong" with, the 7 MM Rem Mag or, 7 WSM, ( If,.. "Doctored up", "Right" by, the Gun Smith ! )
Hornady Has Made, all the Improvements, "necessary", on those TWO with, the 7 PRC, design and,.. IT's,.. selling !
My son just Built one AFTER,. Studying, ALL of, the Pro's and Cons of,.. most, 7 MM's
I have read on it. Thought about building one. Just couldn't find something it did better than what I already have. 🤷 I'm not arguing against the PRC. In fact I thought we were talking about an intangible attribute of marketing that contributes to a cartridges long term use. I don't think it's necessarily some indomitable characteristic of the cartridge like some people like to make out. After all, we've reinvented what my WSM does in a similar but different piece of brass. Which people are still clammering to find in stock and paying a ton of money for when they can find it.

Well, the 300 WSM is the best thing since sliced bread in .308. I own 2. Maybe not better than cinnamon toast….

I believe it is as good or better performing than every other 30 cal on all N American game. Maybe doesn't qualify as "heavy for caliber" but 180 gr bullets will kill everything you want to, will fit in the SA magazine, is incredibly effective and easy to obtain 2800+ fps = low realized recoil, more so with a brake or can. You can also easily fit any bullet with ogive and length that is reasonably close to the 190 Accubond LR. FWIW: I shoot 200+ gr bullets from a long action.

Historically, brass availability is better than your other options.

Brass for, the 7 PRC is, showing up,. little by Little, as ADG and I think Peterson has recently shipped, a Few Batches out,.. lately.
NO the 7 PRC Won't "Do" anything, much better than, a 7 MM Rem Mag or, 7 WSM does
Hornady just, "Streamlined" the 7mm Cartridge, so a guy can go Buy, a New Rifle and a couple Boxes of Accurate, Factory Ammo and hit Chit Way,.. out there

Last edited:
...the .300 saum is the best kept secret other than the 8mm rem mag of all time. It's a shame both were sabotaged by their inventor. Both loaded with correct bullets will handle any North American with ease and both fit into the category of " if you could only have one".....and are capable of outstanding accuracy.

Last edited:
The 7 PRC, is NOT,.. a Short Action, "Candidate",.. IMO
My son Used, a Tikka Magnum action W/ 24" Proof bbl., for His 7 PRC Rifle to seat, the Long Berger's - ELD-M's, IF,.. Need be.
With YOUR Action,.. go 7 MM RSAUM or, 6.5 PRC,. Just, My 2 cents.
Both of my PRC's are fitted or being fitted to a long action.

My Win Mod 70 300 WSM is my favorite rifle and has slayed more game than any other in my safe. I previously loaded it with heavy for caliber loads....210 VLDs. I had one too many animals get away from that load. So, I decided to go the opposite way this year and loaded light for caliber with 150 grn. Barnes TTSXs zooming out of the muzzle at 3205 fps. The whitetail I shot didn't get away. Far from it. I'm still working on an elk this year, but have no worries about penetration or terminal performance in said animal.