Short action magnums

PRShooter

New member here and I need the posts anyways so figured I'd ask the big short action magnum debate. I have a spare short action origin with magnum bf in the safe. (If I had a long or medium action on hand I'd be using it) Wanting to build a SAM with hopes of one day booking an elk hunt. I want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets and still retain magazine feeding.

The 4 big on my list at the moment are:
#1 6.5-7 prcw-brass availability/choices is awesome but I really don't want to deal with donuts and neck turn/ream
#2 7saum-brass availability is hit or miss
#3 7sst-same as saum, limited brass
#4 6.8 western-same thing, brass limited

Don't just say the 300wsm is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd like some personal experiences and why one would lean towards 1 vs the other. Thanks in advance.

Just take the advice of have 200 pieces of brass before you cut the chamber. Then brass availability isn't an issue regardless of what you choose…at least for the life of the barrel.
I guess I should've rephrased what I'm looking for. I know one person can't answer what is best for me but I'd like to see opinions of pro's vs cons and what's working well for others. 6.8 has crap brass and limiting bullet selection but is there something really special about it that would still make it come on top above something such as 7sst and so on or so forth. No matter which way I go will have it's own drawbacks just want to hear personal experiences on why you chose what and which is the least painful if that makes sense.

New member here and I need the posts anyways so figured I'd ask the big short action magnum debate. I have a spare short action origin with magnum bf in the safe. (If I had a long or medium action on hand I'd be using it) Wanting to build a SAM with hopes of one day booking an elk hunt. I want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets and still retain magazine feeding.

The 4 big on my list at the moment are:
#1 6.5-7 prcw-brass availability/choices is awesome but I really don't want to deal with donuts and neck turn/ream
#2 7saum-brass availability is hit or miss
#3 7sst-same as saum, limited brass
#4 6.8 western-same thing, brass limited

Don't just say the 300wsm is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd like some personal experiences and why one would lean towards 1 vs the other. Thanks in advance.
The 7SS is the best way to go. More performance than the SST with no downside and brass is always in stock.

The 6.5 PRC, is another good one, in a Short action.
It's hard to beat the Performance of, a 140 gr. Elite hunter or, 143 ELD-X Bullet at,.. 3,100 FPS+
My grandsons, Savage 110 Lite Hunter, shoots, Sub 1/2 MOA and he's blasted, 3 Deer at, 225 to 498 yards all,.. DRT with, Pass thru's ( ELD-X's )
And, the 7 mm RSAUM, IS, very Nice, if, liking an ACCURATE,.. 7 MM

Last edited:
The 7SS is the best way to go. More performance than the SST with no downside and brass is always in stock.
Okay I'll bite, what's the downside of sst over ss? Both have in stock adg brass. I know case capacity is greater with ss but sst you get a more reliably feeding shoulder angle supposedly? Id be running at 22-24" barrel so is the little extra capacity going to play a role? I have never had any dealings with either so just curious. Thanks.

The 6.5 PRC, is THE One that, I'd go with,.. in a Short action.
Hard to Beat the Performance of, a 140 gr. Elite hunter or, 143 ELD-X Bullet at,.. 3,100 FPS+
My grandsons, Savage 110 Lite Hunter, shoots, Sub 1/2 MOA and he's blasted, 3 Deer at, 225 to 498 yards all,.. DRT with, Pass thru's ( ELD-X's )
And, the 7 mm RSAUM, IS,. VERY,. Nice if liking, an ACCURATE,.. 7 MM
I considered the prc but I could see there being a considerable amount of energy difference between a 140 or even the 153gr vs a 175-190. I feel the .270 to .284 being the sweet spot

I considered the prc but I could see there being a considerable amount of energy difference between a 140 or even the 153gr vs a 175-190. I feel the .270 to .284 being the sweet spot
The 7 PRC, is NOT,.. a Short Action, "Candidate",.. IMO
My son Used, a Tikka Magnum action W/ 24" Proof bbl., for His 7 PRC Rifle to seat, the Long Berger's - ELD-M's, IF,.. Need be.
With YOUR Action,.. go 7 MM RSAUM or, 6.5 PRC,. Just, My 2 cents.

Last edited:
FUDGE,. "Energy" ,.. Look AT,. Velocity at, 1,000 Yards to determine IF, the Bullet,.. "Expands Well",..
I use, 2,000 FPS as My Bottom "Limit" for, Berger, 140 Elites or Classic's.
With a WELL Placed Shot, the 6,5 PRC, can Kill Elk out to,.. 1,000 Yards ( or a little more ) with, 140 gr. Elite Hunt.,.. Berger.

Last edited:
The 7 RSAUM with 168 grain H-VLD Bergers would BE, My 1st. Choice, in a "Short Action" for,.. Elk.
Watch gunfather precision, shoot HIS on, youTube, way, WAY,.. out there !
Good luck with,. YOUR,. choice !!