Updated Factory Short Magnums/Ultramags

Preferred magnum/ultramag bottle neck cartridge Hunting Rifle setup

• Total voters

pecker_wood

When is hornady or winchester going to start building heavy for caliber, fast twist, short action, short barrel magnums that everyone wants? Good start with the 65PRC but I dont want a 2 foot long barrel. Need to get out those short 7mm and 30 magnums done right.

Last edited:
Id like to be able to just go buy hornady precision hunter 212s off the shelf for a short action short barrel 30 cal short PRC...

Last edited:
Hmmmm probably not going to. Just like long range precision sporter weight rifles. The percentage of purchasers is probably single digit percentage of rifle buyers. They need to make money to stay in business and selling one off's wont even cover the water bill. Savage will build you a put together with any of their already on hand parts for their current rifles. Give them a call.

Hmmmm probably not going to. Just like long range precision sporter weight rifles. The percentage of purchasers is probably single digit percentage of rifle buyers. They need to make money to stay in business and selling one off's wont even cover the water bill. Savage will build you a put together with any of their already on hand parts for their current rifles. Give them a call.
You dont think short action, 20 inch 30 cal PRCs would outsell long action 300PRC longer barrel hunting rifles?

Last edited:
trying to learn here, what would the difference in performance be in a 24-26" 300 wsm versus a 20" 300 prc with the same bullet weight?
Im talking all factory guns and loaded ammo not custom guns or reloading because its a pain and im out of that phase. For your question probably the same performance but 300 win short mag was designed around lighter bullets, outdated twists and its a pain finding ammo because winchester doesnt make enough and hornady doesnt do it.

You dont think short action, 20 inch 30PRCs would outsell long action 300PRC 22 inch in hunting rifles?
No way in hello bud. When I look outside my little tiny bubble, the true real big world is so different. I ran some quick numbers as close as I could find. Hunting licenses sold in the USA 16 million, number of LRH members 200K from all over the world. Just running numbers based on the forum of LRH members who want a short barreled gun let alone in a specific caliber I will just throw in 50K. Applying a deer tag to every license in the USA sold, and every LRH short barrel member hunts deer. .003% want a short barreled rifle. No matter how its extrapolated the numbers will probably be close to the same percentage.

No way in hello bud. When I look outside my little tiny bubble, the true real big world is so different. I ran some quick numbers as close as I could find. Hunting licenses sold in the USA 16 million, number of LRH members 200K from all over the world. Just running numbers based on the forum of LRH members who want a short barreled gun let alone in a specific caliber I will just throw in 50K. Applying a deer tag to every license in the USA sold, and every LRH short barrel member hunts deer. .003% want a short barreled rifle. No matter how its extrapolated the numbers will probably be close to the same percentage.
You think even with the shift to silencers? I just like short oal rifles becuase their handy so i wouldnt want to make it longer with a silencer. Hunting with a long action 300PRC 26 inch barrel and silencer seems like it would be a pain...

300RCM dead. 300WSM almost dead. Wats next?
Bud you make me laugh. You must factor in I'm an older stuck in my ways kind of person. My guess...6.8 Western, followed by 7PRC. Here is a question.....why has the 220 swift not made a comeback? Maybe start a new thread on what cartridge is the next to fade away? Gotta go drink some coffee and clean up the shop.

trying to learn here, what would the difference in performance be in a 24-26" 300 wsm versus a 20" 300 prc with the same bullet weight?

Also, this is regurgitated information from discussions here, you cannot take advantage of the long skinny high BC bullets in the WSM like you can the 300 PRC, put that 300 WSM in a medium sized action, it levels the playing field.

I'd take the medium action and 15? less grains of powder for equal performance.
But I don't handicap myself with short barrels, and I load. He doesn't load. He wants a factory gun. Chop a factory barrel and thread it? Or are they too thin? I may be missing out but it kinda seems like putting a 2 barrel carb and ultra quiet exhaust on a 454.
i don't see a factory purposefully knocking performance down on a stallion like the 300 PRC, but Hornady ain't afraid to start a trend as we know.
And people board the train.