Updated Factory Short Magnums/Ultramags

Preferred magnum/ultramag bottle neck cartridge Hunting Rifle setup

• Total voters
No one likes the only correct answer to this... because it requires a completely new system.

Some of us have/are doing work to this end... but cooperation from the industry is virtually non-existent.

Can't say I blame them, considering the sheer number of people that think belted magnums are (and always will be) the best thing in the world.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Just a guess, but there are probably more people wishing the 300PRC came with a 24" than a 20.
Cheap 24 inch 300PRCs are pretty easy to find but it starts to get expensive when you start trying to find one in 22 or 20 inch... Even then your still stuck with a pig long action and giant magazine.

may as well, they remaking everything else. I wouldnt want 30cal short mag to feel left out lol
6.5prc is basically a 6.5x284, 300 prc is a non belted and properly throated 300wm, 7prc is a non belted properly throated 7mag that fits in a shorter long action mag. Not sure 300wsm would be popular enough to try to improve on? Throat it and your out of short action mag capacity. I'm all for new stuff though. Not sure the forums need another Hornady thread to cry about haha!

Last edited:
6.5prc is basically a 6.5x284, 300 prc is a non belted and properly throated 300wm, 7prc is a non belted proplery throated 7mag that fits in a shorter long action mag. Not sure 300wsm would be popular enough to try to improve on? Throat it and your out of short action mag capacity. I'm all for new stuff though. Not sure the forums need another Hornady thread to cry about haha!
so 300wsm is the end of the road for short action 30 cals? 30PRC just sounds good!

so 300wsm is the end of the road for short action 30 cals? 30PRC just sounds good!
I have no clue. They tried the .277 version of the 6.5prc and it sounds like it has a decent following but who knows. I thought that swamplord guy had a Rum or 300norma case shrunk down to a short action? Go big or go home!

Maybe @Elk Hunter 338 can make a Baby Reaper!

You dont think short action, 20 inch 30PRCs would outsell long action 300PRC 22 inch in hunting rifles?
First, no.
Second, who would want to single feed a SA action for the 300PRC for a hunting rifle?

My opinions on the general US hunting community:
1. The majority do not shoot suppressors (probably 99%+?).
2. The majority don't shoot past 400 yards (85%?). This is a specialty hunting forum. Not the general public catch-all.
3. The majority won't need a magnum cartridge for the hunting they do.
4. The majority that do buy a magnum cartridge want all the extra HP that magnum offers over the standard cartridges.
5. The big gun companies are not going to build a product that 1% of the hunters would consider.
6. If you want a 20" 300PRC, you can buy a factory rifle and cut the barrel down. Or rebarrel. Or build a custom to your liking.
7. If you want a single feed SA .300PRC with 20" barrel, build it. No commercial gun manufacturer will build one.

I have no clue. They tried the .277 version of the 6.5prc and it sounds like it has a decent following but who knows. I thought that swamplord guy had a Rum or 300norma case shrunk down to a short action? Go big or go home!

Maybe @Elk Hunter 338 can make a Baby Reaper!
300RUM to fit in an SA is the 300SAUM...

First, no.
Second, who would want to single feed a SA action for the 300PRC for a hunting rifle?

My opinions on the general US hunting community:
1. The majority do not shoot suppressors (probably 99%+?).
2. The majority don't shoot past 400 yards (85%?). This is a specialty hunting forum. Not the general public catch-all.
3. The majority won't need a magnum cartridge for the hunting they do.
4. The majority that do buy a magnum cartridge want all the extra HP that magnum offers over the standard cartridges.
5. The big gun companies are not going to build a product that 1% of the hunters would consider.
6. If you want a 20" 300PRC, you can buy a factory rifle and cut the barrel down. Or rebarrel. Or build a custom to your liking.
7. If you want a single feed SA .300PRC with 20" barrel, build it. No commercial gun manufacturer will build one.
I dont know man, ole gold trigger built my 6.8W stalker 20 inch for $512 then they mailed me a black friday check for $100 lol

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 1.41.33 PM.png

Idk, I kind of tend to agree now that I have a suppressor. For a hunting rifle, I have zero desire for anything over 22". More like 18-20". My next custom barrel (currently waiting for it to be made) is going to be 18. Now, I don't do long range deer hunting. But, I still could with this barrel, it's going to be a 25 SST.

Long story short I'm a little surprised that the trend hasn't shifted towards having some short barrels on the shelf too. Maybe not as the main offering, but I do think the shorties would sell pretty well too for the most part.

Plus, your average redneck doesn't need a 26" 300 win mag to blast a doe at 75 yards lol.