ATF eForm 4 Reduced Wait Times?

Have u loged onto u'r atf account & checked it out?
Yep I've called the atf and they ( the one from 6/ and the other from 8/ ) are waiting for a fbi nics check is what I've been told . They say call them and the fbi says no call the atf. It's crazy the fbi has no time line to look at the forms . I've heard the atf hired lots of new processors but they are only handling the new applications and not looking at the backlogged. Idk if it's true or not . These are not my first suppressors so it's not like they won't clear its just a matter of when.

Just to throw-in on conspiracy theories and tech paranoia. EFile and Online applications are pretty easy to catalog and search. Keeping everything on paper and thus slowing the processes (as historically supported by NRA and conservative legislators) have been the bane of BATFE, bogging them down in mountains of paper for YEARS. THEY say that the 4473s and NFA forms are housed in file boxes, overflowing their facilities.

Now, if I wanted a registry of NFA items that was searchable, I'd build a Pavlovian system to reward E-filers and on-line commerce. Et viola!

..... As he retreats to bunker in tin-foil helmet. :p

Yep I've called the atf and they ( the one from 6/ and the other from 8/ ) are waiting for a fbi nics check is what I've been told . They say call them and the fbi says no call the atf. It's crazy the fbi has no time line to look at the forms . I've heard the atf hired lots of new processors but they are only handling the new applications and not looking at the backlogged. Idk if it's true or not . These are not my first suppressors so it's not like they won't clear its just a matter of when.
Typical government agency reply. I have heard that new-efile are being pushed through in record time but older (before February if i remembercorrectly) & paper & in ancient system wait times.

Today I received an email from SilncerCo commenting on reduced eForm 4 wait times. It claimed that a new ATF process will reduce wait times to just a few days or weeks…. They pointed to this article

I'll believe it when I see it. Could be a marketing ploy. Anyone have any insider info?
Caution...when government is doing something positive for We The Little Peeps.....especially regarding 2A issues, they're usually sucking us into something down the road.....ala arm braces are a good to go until 40 million Little Peeps have them, then hocus pocus they're a felony. Like get all the revenue they can before silencers are pushed out of NFA jurisdiction because there weren't NFA items/control in Founders time of penning the 2A.

That's time I waited in 2012. It was actually quick for then. I lucked out.
For the aluminum foil hat guys . If u'r on this site they already have u on their list. Above average shooter. If u purchase a gun in last 14-16yrs the list that's illegal & doesn't exist, has been found yrs ago. Purchasing products on world wide web, that's a list I'm sure of also. Refuse to change legal above board hobbies out fear of offending someone or something I have no control over. Enjoying life while I can.
Not judgmental on any opinions what might happen these days.

Mine are all in trusts (one person) and I'm still waiting (6 months is the farthest out the I expect). If it's a marketing ploy it worked. Capitol Armory was out of most, if not all, Dead Air products when I checked a few days ago.
80 miles away from capital armory (Austin) too. I efiled , 11 working days & still waiting. Individual this time. 12yrs ago did a trust.

I did 2 trust purchases at the end of Sept and got them beginning of March about a week apart. Interesting how it varies so much.

The Atf doesn't get to keep the taxes they collect.
$200 per silencer is a "major" revenue stream? The national debt is 35 trillion dollars.
When has any government entity cared about a revenue stream??

Hi, Axl,
Regarding your post, which I have abbreviated below:

" The Atf (sic) doesn't get to keep the taxes they collect."

When I bought my first suppressor (~1988) and several subsequent ones, I was instructed to endorse a check to the U.S. Treasury for the "tax" I was required to pay.

In the last several years, I have been instructed to endorse a check to the BATFE, NOT the U.S. Treasury.

It "appears" I am no longer paying a "Tax" to the Treasury, but now I (and everyone else) is paying a "Fee" to the agency charged with processing the paperwork.

Further supporting the assertion is that one filing electronically does not receive an actual "Tax Stamp" from the BATFE. Is that correct?

From what my local Class III dealer tells me, the current crop of electronic applications (Form 4) has an electronically generated facsimile applied when it is approved. One no longer receives a physical "Tax Stamp" that the serial number of the suppressor is written across its face attached to the completed and approved application.

If the money does NOT GO TO THE Treasury, is it a "Tax"?; or is it now a (Processing) "Fee" that is "KEPT" by the BATFE to cover their "expenses" of having employees approve applications, which, by the way, should already be included in the Agency's BUDGET REQUEST.

I am not aware if Congress changed the system (National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968) or the Agency changed their "interpretation" of the statute.

I don't have the answer to this situation, how it occurred and evolved to its' current status. I offer the above as an exercise in critical thinking and wonder if you and other members have an opinion or explanation to offer hereafter.

It looks like a duck and walks like a duck to me.
Is it a goose (tax) or a duck (fee)?

I look forward to the resulting discussion.

Let 'er buck, boys!

(I have not read the entire thread before responding and I apologize if another or others have already brought forth this issue to the discussion.)

Hi, Axl,
Regarding your post, which I have abbreviated below:

" The Atf (sic) doesn't get to keep the taxes they collect."

When I bought my first suppressor (~1988) and several subsequent ones, I was instructed to endorse a check to the U.S. Treasury for the "tax" I was required to pay.

In the last several years, I have been instructed to endorse a check to the BATFE, NOT the U.S. Treasury.

It "appears" I am no longer paying a "Tax" to the Treasury, but now I (and everyone else) is paying a "Fee" to the agency charged with processing the paperwork.

Further supporting the assertion is that one filing electronically does not receive an actual "Tax Stamp" from the BATFE. Is that correct?

From what my local Class III dealer tells me, the current crop of electronic applications (Form 4) has an electronically generated facsimile applied when it is approved. One no longer receives a physical "Tax Stamp" that the serial number of the suppressor is written across its face attached to the completed and approved application.

If the money does NOT GO TO THE Treasury, is it a "Tax"?; or is it now a (Processing) "Fee" that is "KEPT" by the BATFE to cover their "expenses" of having employees approve applications, which, by the way, should already be included in the Agency's BUDGET REQUEST.

I am not aware if Congress changed the system (National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968) or the Agency changed their "interpretation" of the statute.

I don't have the answer to this situation, how it occurred and evolved to its' current status. I offer the above as an exercise in critical thinking and wonder if you and other members have an opinion or explanation to offer hereafter.

It looks like a duck and walks like a duck to me.
Is it a goose (tax) or a duck (fee)?

I look forward to the resulting discussion.

Let 'er buck, boys!

(I have not read the entire thread before responding and I apologize if another or others have already brought forth this issue to the discussion.)
I would like to bring this to attention of my representative, Chip Roy

It is amazing. I purchased an FA UZI with Gemtech multi mount can off Gunbroker. It took two weeks to get it into my lgs where it then when though the SS kiosk and was approved to me in 3 days!!

Recent Posts