Short action magnums

I had a similar choice to make this year with a savage short action I had laying around. Most will argue it was a waste of money to build on the savage but that's for a different discussion all together…. Everything I read brought me to one conclusion and that's the Sherman short has the most performance at 2.95 coal out of any short mag. I understand the fear of running a cartridge that's not commercially supported but from a pure performance standpoint the ss can't be beat in a true short action. I went 6.5 not 7mm but am very happy with it and it feeds better than I expected. Every rifle is different but this one runs a 135 badlands at 3117 with what looks like will be very very good brass life but it's to new to know for sure. No signs of pressure at that load but the low body taper of the Sherman's do hide pressure, hopefully primer pockets hold up 😎
Badlands always run fast for me. I have a 338 NMI running the 275 SBD2 at 3120fps with a barely visible ejector plunger mark. It's so light I can't see it with the naked eye but the camera managed to pick it up in the below image.
IMG_0467.jpeg

Sliced bread in the Christensen. 6.5PRC in the Rem 700. Happy with both. Both hold 1/2" or better all day @100yds. I've settled on 185 VLDH in the wsm with no issues in mag utilizing .007" off lands. So she's good for shooting well past my capabilities. The PRC I did have bolt face work done dual ejectors and M16 extractor installed to help with extraction as the standard rem setup wouldn't cut it. Ran into issues with 140's trying to load to mag length. Shoots awesome single shot though. I've since changed to 127g Barnes LRX seated to mag length @3020fps so should be good from 0-550yds to keep it above that 1900fps range I need. Just something to think about when using a short action.
Nice💪

I would never try to sway anyone toward or away from a direction they want to follow. For me the 300 WSM was 'IT' for me. I've owned quite a few, factory and custom. I am currently building on a Win 70 CRF Stainless, an 8.5 twist 24" Rock Creek Carbon, and Nosler brass is my choice.
I am quite impressed with this particular, caliber and cartridge setup. For me, a lightweight rifle for hunting in mountainous terrain,
This is exactly what I built on a long action for 200 gr + boolits. Finished weight = 7.5 lbs bare rifle including muzzle brake. Barrel is 8.5 twist 26" Bartlein #4 CFW.

My other is a first production year 300 WSM Featherweight that has the smoothest Winchester action I've ever experienced. It got blueprinted and rebarreled a couple years ago with a 10 twist 26" #3 Brux.

Russell Koehler of Marion, TX did a great job on these two 1 ragged hole rifles.

Recent Posts