Winchester Super Short Magnums?

Winchester Super Short Mags, yeah or nay

• Best thing since sliced bread...

• Not too bad for a handloader

• Not worth the hassle

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feeding problems and impossible-to-find brass make the WSSM's very non-appealing, and have plagued the WSSM cartridges from the VERY beginning. Other than that, I see no real issue with the cartridges themselves.

Recently someone "rebooted" the popularity using WSM brass for the parent case, and you can buy their pre-formed WSSM brass (from WSM cases) straight from them for about a $1.30 each.

https://www.hillbillybrass.com/reformed-wssm-brass
I just bought 4 boxes of win 64grain PP's for my 223 wssm this morning and I bought 500 pieces of brass a few months ago and it is still in stock today along with 243 and 25 wssm 36.00 for 50

I bought a Winchester Stealth in 223 wssm from a guy in NE. The barrel was so full of copper that bullets tumbled at 25 yards. I think the guy had a bunch of ammo and he burned thru it before shipping the rifle, needless to say I was not happy. He unwillingly took the rifle back and gave a refund. A couple weeks later I found a Stealth II same caliber with a bunch of brass and good bipod for $150 less
And this one shoots very well

I generally don't have problems with enough brass for any of my rifles because before I start a project, I locate and purchase at least 200 rounds first. Then start accumulating all the other parts that are not hard to find. then when I come across good deals on more, i will try to get enough to give me at least 300 rounds.

Having 300 + rounds of brass for each of my rifles has been a good idea and save me lots of trouble. if I sell the rifle I can always get my money back for new brass. (I use batches of 100 until they are worn out and everything else i have is still new and easy to sell if i want to.

There has been several rifles that brass has become extinct and having extra brass has came in handy during hard times. It seems a shame that brass has been responsible for the demise of many good cartridges, and it sounds like the WSMs and the Rums have fallen on hard times for those that didn't plan ahead due to brass shortages.

I also look for other older cartridges that can be used to form the needed cases and with a little research, It is surprising the number of current cases that can be substituted for hard to get cases.

Modern cartridges come and go so It is wise to buy plenty of cases in the beginning and not be caught short, especially if you really like the cartridge and rifle.

J E CUSTOM

I generally don't have problems with enough brass for any of my rifles because before I start a project, I locate and purchase at least 200 rounds first. Then start accumulating all the other parts that are not hard to find. then when I come across good deals on more, i will try to get enough to give me at least 300 rounds.

Having 300 + rounds of brass for each of my rifles has been a good idea and save me lots of trouble. if I sell the rifle I can always get my money back for new brass. (I use batches of 100 until they are worn out and everything else i have is still new and easy to sell if i want to.

There has been several rifles that brass has become extinct and having extra brass has came in handy during hard times. It seems a shame that brass has been responsible for the demise of many good cartridges, and it sounds like the WSMs and the Rums have fallen on hard times for those that didn't plan ahead due to brass shortages.

I also look for other older cartridges that can be used to form the needed cases and with a little research, It is surprising the number of current cases that can be substituted for hard to get cases.

Modern cartridges come and go so It is wise to buy plenty of cases in the beginning and not be caught short, especially if you really like the cartridge and rifle.

J E CUSTOM
I agree.
I had always wanted a 6AI but couldn't find 6mm Rem brass anywhere.
So after some research I found a good deal on Norma 7×57 Mauser brass to fire form.

That's cool right there. And that will fit in the wssm magazine? At least that leaves an option if the barrel does take a dump. I don't generally shoot often enough to worry about barrel life, 100 rounds a year out of any rifle would be a lot.
I entered my ballistics ( 3025 fps 180ttsx 58.5 gr Benchmark) into MikeCRs excel barrel life calculator and it gave me 3800 rounds of accurate barrel life.
However at .95 cents a piece there sure isnt a lot of plinking going on!

Plus I had the barrel Nitrided, so whow knows how long this 358 grant barrel will last.
That's cool right there. And that will fit in the wssm magazine? At least that leaves an option if the barrel does take a dump. I don't generally shoot often enough to worry about barrel life, 100 rounds a year out of any rifle would be a lot.

I tried using that calculator. For whatever reason I cant make it work, maybe it's not mobile supported.

Then I realized, the chances of me even putting a thousand rounds through a rifle in any amount of time are very slim.

Maybe I should get one; this is one of those rounds where for the cost of three boxes of ammo I can get dies, some brass, and some bullets. Plus it sounds like it would be a chance to learn how to anneal my cases.

With all this talk about brass availability, I thought I would do a little research to see where the shortages were. I was surprised that most if not all cartridges were being made in brass form and loaded ammo.

I found all of the short mags (Remington, Winchester and Ruger) in 2 or more brands and some had 6 or more different brands that were available. They may have not been the brand I started with, but with so many selections surely I could find a brand that would work for me with a little sorting and load development.

So for those that don't think they can keep a rifle because of the brass/ammo for it, they need to take another look for what they need.
I found 57 different loads (ammo) for the 6.5 creedmoor and 6 different brands of brass for it and would recommend that anyone that has one, buy several hundred rounds now while it is still available so they don't get caught like the short mag guys did a while back.

You may not be able to find the brass you like, but any brand of brass is better than selling your favorite rifle.

J E CUSTOM

With all this talk about brass availability, I thought I would do a little research to see where the shortages were. I was surprised that most if not all cartridges were being made in brass form and loaded ammo.

I found all of the short mags (Remington, Winchester and Ruger) in 2 or more brands and some had 6 or more different brands that were available. They may have not been the brand I started with, but with so many selections surely I could find a brand that would work for me with a little sorting and load development.

So for those that don't think they can keep a rifle because of the brass/ammo for it, they need to take another look for what they need.
I found 57 different loads (ammo) for the 6.5 creedmoor and 6 different brands of brass for it and would recommend that anyone that has one, buy several hundred rounds now while it is still available so they don't get caught like the short mag guys did a while back.

You may not be able to find the brass you like, but any brand of brass is better than selling your favorite rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Most people giving a certain brass grief are simply not willing to deal with that brass's shortcomings. I've seen people whining about Remington and Hornady brass a good bit. I don't beat the hell out of my rifles running them hot and I don't mind a bit of brass work so I haven't noticed an issue with either brass. I've given Bertram brass in 7stw a bit of grief, but I believe as you do that it's a heck of a lot better than no brass. I just wish it could be fire-formed in my chamber without creating a false shoulder first.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.