Updated Factory Short Magnums/Ultramags

Preferred magnum/ultramag bottle neck cartridge Hunting Rifle setup

• Total voters
Long range hunting is different for different areas and ones expectations according to skills and budget.
🤣 🤣 🤣and barrel length, I love the new "general" options for the new poll. Long barrel to one is 18" or more, and the next person is 26" or more. Same for short barrel one is anything under those same measurements. How did the WSSM's turn out for Winchester?

🤣 🤣 🤣and barrel length, I love the new "general" options for the new poll. Long barrel to one is 18" or more, and the next person is 26" or more. Same for short barrel one is anything under those same measurements. How did the WSSM's turn out for Winchester?

They sucked even if you wanted to rebarrel to something useful, nothing fits. I do know a guy who cut, swapped bolt heads and tig welded to make use of two useless actions. He could have bought custom actions for the amount he had in both.

There always seems to be a few good cartridges, that get left by the wayside too soon. A guy would think, Ruger's 338 RCM should of had a bit longer run. Yep, it's still around but, 200 to 225 grain bullets at 2,900 fps seems it would have a following.
I just watched a few videos from hornady and their compact magnums. I liked their thinking around those handy short action magnums. I think I was in the military during that time frame so I missed out on all of the RCM stuff somehow.

For suppressed, I understand since you are adding 5-9" to the overall length with one. But again, I would bet that less than 1% of hunters shoot with a can.
How many people have shot a short barreled magnum with a brake? How obnoxious is a 20" braked magnum?
A 20" 338 edge is well lets just say .. down right flippin angry!! and that's putting nicely .. that's why my can never leaves it!

I have no clue. They tried the .277 version of the 6.5prc and it sounds like it has a decent following but who knows. I thought that swamplord guy had a Rum or 300norma case shrunk down to a short action? Go big or go home!

Maybe @Elk Hunter 338 can make a Baby Reaper!
I had 30 338 375 in the works.. had a brass guy lined out to. we all know how that story went for the brass guy:mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong. You are wanting a .30-6.5 PRC, or something similar,
The 6.5 PRC is actually based on the 338 RCM case (the 300 RCM is a touch longer). The 6.5 PRC, like the 6.8 Western, has a max COAL of 2.955" and is already too long for true short actions.
The selling point of the RCM series was "magnum performance from 20" barrels" and it didn't sell. The catch was that the Hornady ammo used proprietary propellants, so handloaders at the time couldn't match the velocities. It was effectively a Superformance load. Hornady recently had a podcast on the RCM cartridges that had a lot of interesting info.
To fit in a true short action ( 2.81"), a .30 cal running a long-ogived bullet would need a shorter case and be closer to 30-06 performance. It would be much like the Olympic Arms 300 OSSM (based on the 25 WSSM case), but with a fast twist barrel.

Someone else mentioned that the closest thing with readily available ammo is the 300 WSM running a heavy bullet. Heavy bullets tend to get more out of shorter barrels.

Last edited: