Two shooters, two different POI, same gun

Common (or at least not uncommon) Lol. happens with my father and I. Parallax is going to be imperfect if you have different eyesight and don't change the eyepiece. Even harder to get identical if it's fixed parallax as so much depends on being in the exact place behind the gun which is doubtful with different shooters.

Something to consider when using someone else's rifle for a hunt..

Pretty common i think. My buddy often shoots groups a little off from where mine land. He also doesn't think a level is ever right so there is that as well lol.
I think it is more than common. It should be considered normal. Two folks that hold a rifle close enough to have the same impact would be more unusual, I think.

While shooting yesterday with my girlfriend and her rifle at 315 and 505 yards validating the drops for it…..

I noticed with the same dope we had different points of impact. Grouping size only varying marginally between us.

I noticed a similar thing when zeroing it at 100 on a different outing

Does a shooter's style/technique come into play here?
Yes. In precision shooting EVERYTHING MATTERS. Ie: A friend of mine is a GREAT SHOT. Every rifle I own is zeroed spot-on.....for me. Whenever he shoots one of my rifles or I shoot his - we're always off a smidge. Why? I have right-eye dominance, he has left. Now, knowing this, we both know "how to hold" to allow for the other's zero. Hey - it works!

While shooting yesterday with my girlfriend and her rifle at 315 and 505 yards validating the drops for it…..

I noticed with the same dope we had different points of impact. Grouping size only varying marginally between us.

You may really enjoy watching our Bullets from the Bible series.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I'm not sure really......do fish swim?

The simple answer is absolutely.

2 factors.
Parallax
Sight picture (related to parallax)

If the two groups are separated vertically, the two variables are most likely check weld (changing the parallax) and variations in gun movement during recoil.

I experienced this when my boys started shooting prone, and then again as we taught others to shoot long range, using our equipment. How we fixed this. First, we wrote down notes on exactly how we get into the rifle, step by step, finishing with shoulder relaxed, dead weight in to the rifle with light repeatable bipod loading. When other men followed these instructions, they were able to accomplish nearly identical point of impact. We explained that its not that they are doing anything wrong, but this is how are rifles are zeroed/ dialed in and to make good hits this is what they needed to do. For the boys specifically, they were unable to apply enough dead weight into the stock, and they always hit higher than we do, when following the same instructions. So we zeroed there rifle with very little, almost no dead weight. They can duplicate it every time and have consistent point of impact. When I shoot the rifle dialed in for them, I have to remember to put less dead weight into it. If I do, I can achieve the same point of impact as they do. If I get into the rifle the way I normally do, I will hit low every time. I thought about redoing my rifles for less dead weight so they are the same, but prefer a little more dead weight for spotting my own hits consistently. As they get bigger I will work with them on this so eventually, they are all dialed in the same. The biggest thing is determining the amount of dead weight/ bipod loading that can be done consistently every time, and then zero the rifle using that method. Having gone through this and finding a solution, I hope this helps.

A great many years ago. A friend had a Browning Auto loader in 7mm Rem Mag, his wife got him for Christmas. Now he was going to hunt out-of-state with my brother and another friend.
He must of gone through 10 boxes of shells with it. That rifle would not hold or shoot the same point. The scope was tight and right. We exchanged it for a 7mm Rem Mag in a 700 Rem. The same scope moved to the new Rem rifle. He didn't have much time, so my brother that already had a 7mm RM in a Rem. He had already develop a load in his rifle. (End up being the same load) He got it tuned in. I finish checking to confirm grouping, and set it up at 1" @ 100yds. Groups were about 1/2 @ 100yds. Now the interesting part. We both shot the rifle and had the same impact point. We met with our friend that was going on that hunt at a another location. Set up targets, and he started shooting the rifle. Now he couldn't even get it on paper. I confirmed it was hitting at 100yds and dead on. We had to move the target back to 25yds, and readjust the scope for him. Moved it out to 100yds for him. His groups were what we had been shooting. It had to be how he was holding his rifle or any rifle. For all the years I have been shooting, that was the first time I couldn't pick up somebody else rifle and place groups in the same location as the other person did. I am left handed, and most others are right handed.

Recent Posts