One scope two guns?

the idea of switching scopes back and forth constantly would end up giving me OCD.

Just like the people who have nightmares about showing up naked to board meetings, I'd have nightmares about being in the treestand opening morning and seeing a 180" buck and suddenly realizing that I never re-zeroed my rifle after the last round of playing musical chairs with the scopes :eek:

Definitely have been there, long way from my first tasco on a single shot .22 as a kid. Then when I first bought the NXS I thought there was nothing better out there, than got the ATACR and changed my view again. Where will I be 5-10 years from now.

Several folks that shoot long range do this using leupold quick release rings. It seems to work well for them. They even do it during a match and of course record all setting's so they are close.

.....I got the ATACR the NXS does not float my boat as much. (clarity,brightness and field of view)....Sounds like if I'm not willing to spend the money to buy a new ATACR that I should just leave the nxs on my older gun for now....

Few absolutes here, do what pleases you.

If I take the kids squirrel hunting jn the spring, I end up swapping everything around. Then get it back together before fall definitely not equipped for an ATACR on every 17HMR in the safe. They have had Mark 4's on them though Currently the 5-25 is sitting on a Tikka .223. I do leave the 4-16X on my .338 RUM alone.

Loosely translated-we don't alway follow our own best advice.

I swap mine around quite a bit. I live 7 minutes from the range and 3 minutes from national forest so Re-zeroing isn't much more than 20 minutes at either location.

I can't think of any reason I would go hunting without confirming my zero, whether I just swapped scopes or not.

Seems like recently I have been moving scopes around quite a bit...but my swaps are intended to have been permanent.

Then I buy a better scope so I have a move a couple to push a less like scope out of the herd. But I don' bouce back and forth....

I started off on the same venture this past year. Two nice LR guns and one nice LR scope. The levels were slightly off and the windage was about 10 MOA between guns. The main issue I've run into is both the guns are new and I need to work up loads in each at the same time. I always take two guns shooting and alternate to keep them cool. Swapping scopes doesn't work well with my typical game plan. I have to do a complete sight in and re-level with each gun. Its quite the hassle but cheaper than buying another $1200+ scope.

I have one schmitt bender PMii on one gun with euro optics quick release scope mount for pictany rail. I just tried swapping it with my long range muzzeloader which i only use a few times. it has worked great. I think the mount sells for around $500.

I'd probably just use the .300 wby for all my hunting purposes. What do you use the .270 wby for that you don't want to use the .300 for?

If you love both rifles, I'd sell the NXS and get a second ATACR.

I have 2 custom guns 270WBY & 300WBY both with Nightforce 20 MOA rails and Nightforce scopes on them, one an NXS and the other ATACR. I was thinking about just using the ATACR scope and switching back and forth between the two guns, wondering if anyone else does this and how accurate it is when they switch back and forth between the two guns? I'm using American rifle Co. Rings.
Don't do it unless you like constantly re-setting your zero!

If you shoot them long range and use a bubble level on the scope and move the scope between the rifles, you will probably find that the bubble level is no longer level. Depending on the severity, that might signal all knids of small difficulties. Also depends on how ofter you want to move the scope. Once, twice a year is one thing, monthly is another.

If I had that kinda hardware, I would sell the the NSX and get another ATACR.
One scope with the same mounts, shared between two picatinny rails....... well that's extremely easy ; just use a torque screwdriver and tighten the each Tim it's refitted.. Then you simply reset to your other zero
I have 2 custom guns 270WBY & 300WBY both with Nightforce 20 MOA rails and Nightforce scopes on them, one an NXS and the other ATACR. I was thinking about just using the ATACR scope and switching back and forth between the two guns, wondering if anyone else does this and how accurate it is when they switch back and forth between the two guns? I'm using American rifle Co. Rings.

If you shoot them long range and use a bubble level on the scope and move the scope between the rifles, you will probably find that the bubble level is no longer level. Depending on the severity, that might signal all knids of small difficulties. Also depends on how ofter you want to move the scope. Once, twice a year is one thing, monthly is another.

If I had that kinda hardware, I would sell the the NSX and get another ATACR.

It is easy people are making to much of this if thenscope is level it will be level on both guns.you make a note of where each gun is is on target with the scope.just do it for yourself and you will see.nothing gained nothing loss.

I have lots of rifles and lots of scopes. The scopes usually cost more than the rifles they ride. If I could have one scope for all my rifles, I could have twice as many rifles for the same money. Be still my heart... .

But as others have mentioned for lotsa good reasons, this just isn't practical. No two rifles have totally identical mounting systems. So even if repeatability was perfect, some fiddling is required. And repeatability even with the very best mounts isn't perfect. That makes a trip to the range and a half box of ammo or more a requirement every time you do it.

Ain't gunna happen on my rifles no matter how much money it would save. Each pair is its own Combo. If I can't afford the scope, I don't buy the rifle.

If an ATACR is what floats your boat, buy another one. If you can't afford it, live with what you have or buy a less expensive alternative.

Just my two cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts