using one bolt in two actions

dynafit

Long story is : I lost a magnum faced bolt to an out of production european rifle (7mm Rem mag) and have yet to find a replacement. However, I have an opportunity to purchase a complete rifle of the same make and model in 264 Win mag. Is it feasible to use the bolt from the 264 Win mag in the 7mm Rem mag action if it passes a go/no go gauge test??

And a followup question is: if this is possible, does anyone know of a machinist that could use the 264 Win mag bolt as a pattern to fabricate from scratch a usable bolt for the 7mm Rem mag action?

If what I'm doing is crazy, please let me know.

Thanks.

If it headspaces correctly you will be fine, if it doesn't headspace, a confident gunsmith can correct it, I know some machine shops could duplicate A rifle bolt, however it will not be cheap and they likely wouldn't take a job for a one off, not knowing the make of the rifle you are dealing with but cost is likely to be equal to a new rifle,

Call PTG and get a new bolt.

As long as your not in too big of a hurry to get it. Order it today and maybe in 6 months or so you might get it. They turn out very good work, just poor customer service.

I have had this question pop up in my shop several times, depending on the action type, it is unlikely you will find a new bolt, so, you have a barelled action that is useless.
Yes, you can use a bolt in 2 guns, but it is not just a matter of testing with a go/no go gauge, there are other factors involved.
It would be pertinent if you revealed what rifle it is?

Cheers.

I have had this question pop up in my shop several times, depending on the action type, it is unlikely you will find a new bolt, so, you have a barelled action that is useless.
Yes, you can use a bolt in 2 guns, but it is not just a matter of testing with a go/no go gauge, there are other factors involved.
It would be pertinent if you revealed what rifle it is?

Cheers.
Say it's a Remington 722 in 222 Rem Mag. Would a bolt from another Rem 722 in 222 work in this action ?

Last edited:
Call PTG and get a new bolt.

As long as your not in too big of a hurry to get it. Order it today and maybe in 6 months or so you might get it. They turn out very good work, just poor customer service.
I'm still waiting for a Go gauge from them, and it's been 2 months. Called twice and still haven't received a response. If you want a new bolt go to a machinist that you can talk to and show him the other bolt. I knew what I was doing when I ordered it from them so I will just keep waiting till it arrives.
Jason

MagnumMania , please state what other factors are involved. I profess not to have a lot of experience with this type of situation.

Yes, I have a barrelled action that is useless. It's a Schultz & Larsen M68DL, 7mm Rem Magnum.

thanks
Ok, now knowing what it is, the bolt lugs will need measuring to determine if the bolt from the other rifle fits into the abutments, this requires removal of the barrel.
The headspace measurement will change if work is done to the bolt or abutments and then the barrels will also need reaming to suit…not a simple no gauge job unfortunately.
I had a quick look at Schultz and Larsen parts, if you hunt around, you may just find 1 for your M68.

Cheers.

I'm still waiting for a Go gauge from them, and it's been 2 months. Called twice and still haven't received a response. If you want a new bolt go to a machinist that you can talk to and show him the other bolt. I knew what I was doing when I ordered it from them so I will just keep waiting till it arrives.
Jason
I'm 3 days away from 20 weeks on my go/no-go's since ordered (3/1/23).

Yes, if the headspace is correct ....both fall between the fence post of the go and no-go gauges. Plus it can be altered to make it work. Example I used the same bolt for 308, 6 5 Creedmoor, 358 Win, 8 6 Blackout, in AR 10....AR 15 5.56 bolts will almost always work in another 5.56 case.
Bolt rifles are not as interchange, because industrial standardization of the AR 15, and modern CNC machinery.

Say it's a Remington 722 in 222 Rem Mag. Would a bolt from another Rem 722 in 222 work in this action ?
The bolt would probably fit inside the reciever, but likely the headspace would be off. A 222 mag has a longer case body and a different datum length than a 222 but with the correct go and no-go gauges, its possible to have them have the correct head space with one bolt, or from another 222 or 223...bolt tolerance stack up, bolt lugs, bolt face depth, chamber depths, recoil lug thickness, etc all add to up to make things just slightly out go & no go or on the edge of interchangeability.. a field gauge can be used and still be safe ...then the authorized for emergency use weapon, issued to the grunt.
I ran 8000 rds through a 308 rifle that was factory chambered and the no gauge closed, but wouldn't go on the extra .002". Just size the brass to the deminsions of the long chamber.

The bolt would probably fit inside the reciever, but likely the headspace would be off. A 222 mag has a longer case body and a different datum length than a 222 but with the correct go and no-go gauges, its possible to have them have the correct head space with one bolt, or from another 222 or 223...bolt tolerance stack up, bolt lugs, bolt face depth, chamber depths, recoil lug thickness, etc all add to up to make things just slightly out go & no go or on the edge of interchangeability.. a field gauge can be used and still be safe ...then the authorized for emergency use weapon, issued to the grunt.
I ran 8000 rds through a 308 rifle that was factory chambered and the no gauge closed, but wouldn't go on the extra .002". Just size the brass to the deminsions of the long chamber.
That is what I was thinking. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I don't want to hijack the OP thread. So I will leave it here.