One scope two guns?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by TYoung, Jun 10, 2018.

1. TYoung

TYoung Member

I have 2 custom guns 270WBY & 300WBY both with Nightforce 20 MOA rails and Nightforce scopes on them, one an NXS and the other ATACR. I was thinking about just using the ATACR scope and switching back and forth between the two guns, wondering if anyone else does this and how accurate it is when they switch back and forth between the two guns? I'm using American rifle Co. Rings.

2. dgarrett

dgarrett Well-Known Member

I think the only way to do this would be in a Uni mount...Tighten and re-tighten ring screws and mounting the scope would have them worn out before long I believe... JMO Dave

3. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

If you shoot them long range and use a bubble level on the scope and move the scope between the rifles, you will probably find that the bubble level is no longer level. Depending on the severity, that might signal all knids of small difficulties. Also depends on how ofter you want to move the scope. Once, twice a year is one thing, monthly is another.

If I had that kinda hardware, I would sell the the NSX and get another ATACR.

4. joseph singleton

joseph singleton Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Don't your blessed with two nice scopes....stay PUT,my 2cents.

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Save the headache, save your money, and buy a second scope. Swapping them would be a complete pain in the ---.

Doug Herold, CaptnC and tmmcampbell like this.
  6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Why complicate things unnecessarily?

CaptnC and tmmcampbell like this.
  7. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

2 customs each would seem to warrant a dedicated scope in my mind. If you wish them the same sell the NXS, and get another ATACR.

tmmcampbell and FEENIX like this.
  8. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

My gunsmith does it with a Nightforce and rails. He notes where the sight is set for each rifle uses a torque wrench to tighten the rings. They return to within one MOA every time.

Timnterra likes this.
  9. WeiserBucks

WeiserBucks Well-Known Member

I did it for years, I don't and won't ever again.

10. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

Can you give a reason why?

11. WeiserBucks

Because I have better things to do than rezero my optic every time I grab a different rifle.

jrock and tmmcampbell like this.
  12. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t asking you why, I was asking the op.
    I can’t seem to come up with a reason, besides maybe a money issue. If that was the case, I would rather sell both of those, and buy a couple proven midrange scopes, rather than switch back and forth.

Barrelnut and HARPERC like this.
  13. TYoung

TYoung Member

Thanks to all who responded, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Both rifles shoot really well but since I got the ATACR the NXS does not float my boat as much. (clarity,brightness and field of view) I was thinking of selling my nxs and just using one scope between the two but wondered about the complications of it. Sounds like if I'm not willing to spend the money to buy a new ATACR that I should just leave the nxs on my older gun for now.

Attached Files:

mmgravy, CaptnC, SMK1000plus and 5 others like this.
  14. WeiserBucks

You could definitely do worse than an NXS. Run it until funds allow for an upgrade.