trying to decide on which 6.5 for hunting

That's what I had in mind at the start of this caridge search, and that's why I came up with the 6.5s. I have plenty of other rifles but I want my "go to rifle" for all hunting applications or long range shooting. The only issue I have with any 6.5s is ammo availability. If it's my go to rifle I want more available ammo, but I guess you can't have everything haha. So I will just hand load for it.

Well, if you are going to handload, I know my two chioces!:D.......Rich

Absolute truth right here. I can't recommend the short action 6.5's for elk; will they do the job? If care is taken, you bet your *** they can, but they do lack the snot of the larger 6.5's.

The OP likes to shoot a lot (good!), truth is, you're going to wear out the x284 faster than a Creed' or 260; that's life. But you also get higher velocity which brings more down range energy, less drop & less drift.

I also have to agree with Grey, the Savage LRH would be a dandy fit which will also free up a little cash for optics. You need to seriously weigh the pro's & con's here, how often do you really hunt elk? Is it a serious need or a pipe dream?

I say that based on my experience. I'd much rather hunt elk with a competent, experienced shooter who has hundreds of rounds thru his 6.5 Creed than a weekend wonder who is scared of shooting the barrel out of his 6.5x284.

t

Exactly what I was thinking. So far I haven't found anything that I don't like about the 6.5 Creedmoor!! Getting to be a very good shot with your rifle is a lot more important than having a real fast rifle. The mid velocity will do anything the fast 6.5s will, just 100-200 yards closer.
Alot depends on what you want to do with your rifle. Will it be a main hunting rifle or is your primary goal to kill an elk at 600 yards plus. In my experience, a lot more game is seen at under 200 yards than over 400 .

I'd do a 6.5x280 ack! But I'm kinda biased, mine got me this Washington general season mulley at 444yds. I was running Matrix 142's at 3060fps :)
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Attachments

• reid buck '14.jpg
    reid buck '14.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 67
  • buck #2 '14.jpg
    buck #2 '14.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
Exactly what I was thinking. So far I haven't found anything that I don't like about the 6.5 Creedmoor!! Getting to be a very good shot with your rifle is a lot more important than having a real fast rifle. The mid velocity will do anything the fast 6.5s will, just 100-200 yards closer.
Alot depends on what you want to do with your rifle. Will it be a main hunting rifle or is your primary goal to kill an elk at 600 yards plus. In my experience, a lot more game is seen at under 200 yards than over 400 .

Elk in my hunting ares are usually under 4 hundred yards. More like 100-300. The long range hunting (600 yards) would be on big mules and whitetails out east.

And Rich I know your choices haha!

Elk in my hunting ares are usually under 4 hundred yards. More like 100-300. The long range hunting (600 yards) would be on big mules and whitetails out east.

And Rich I know your choices haha!

Then a 6.5 is definitely going to work for you. Do the sherman short. : ) As soon as I get my barrel issue sorted out I will get with Rich.

Then a 6.5 is definitely going to work for you. Do the sherman short. : ) As soon as I get my barrel issue sorted out I will get with Rich.

anyone know where I could get just an action? Preferably a savage with an Accu trigger.because I don't feel like taking a barrel off any of my current actions, none of my barrels are shot out. the reason I would prefer a savage is so I could do it myself.

For that the mid velocity 6.5 would execellently. And give you longer throat life. For more velocity the 6.5/06AI would simplify getting brass. Fireform with the C.O.W.method 25/06 brass and your good to go. Unless the plunger ejector would bother keeping things centered.

For that the mid velocity 6.5 would execellently. And give you longer throat life. For more velocity the 6.5/06AI would simplify getting brass. Fireform with the C.O.W.method 25/06 brass and your good to go. Unless the plunger ejector would bother keeping things centered.

what do you consider to be the medium 6.5?

which of the 6.5 you consider to be medium?

I just harvest a elk with my winchester model 70 extreme weather 264 win mag and it worked really well. .

Aaron,
I was in your shoes not long ago. I made my decision about 6 weeks back. I should have my 6.5 SS in a week or so. My smith has to stamp, bead blast, & then reinstall the barrel. I'm the culprit with the reamer & gage btw. Should give me just enough time to do some load development before the Wisconsin's opener. Rich's SS case design is pretty ingenious imo. "OOPS" forgot to mention Big N Green/Rhian's too. This was my first leap into a wildcat cartridge. The case forming process was easy, with the step by step instructions from Rich. Being my first endeavor into case forming/reforming I seriously looked forward to it & enjoyed the whole process. Now I'm looking forward to the fire forming & load development. Not too mention christening a new rifle.:D I know the jury is still out on the SS about barrel life, case life ect. but from the data of similarish case designs & that of Rich & Rhian I was willing to dive in while the reamer's still warm, as Rich put it. Performance, longevity?, efficiency & accuracy. Most won't give up accuracy & performance but the longevity & efficiency on the other hand can be overcome with $$$. I think my SS will have the longest barrel to date. A 5r 1-8 Bartlein Med. Palma contour finished to 30.5", threaded with a 3 port Ross Schuler brake custom tapered & timed for 32" total length, Savage 11, Accutrigger 1.5#, PTG bottom metal, Accuracy International mags, McMillan stock- retrofitted from my high power silhouette rifle, a Ruger V77 reconfigured & inletted with a Whidden V-block. Stock is similar to a McMillan Scout in design with a Monte Carlo cheek. (Gotta figure how to post pics) I think the velocity with RL33 from the SS in a l---ong barrel are going to impress. Rich thinks 3300+ with the 160's should be doable. I'm planning on finding the max load then downloading it for reduced pressures & longevity. I stoked, I figure what the heck I can always have the barrel cut back. Good luck with your decision now that I've stirred the pot a little more. Kev

I have speaking with a forum member who took 3 deer and an elk with a 6.5-284. Said it worked very well.

My buddy shot a deer last week with my 6.5-284 at 375 and it did a fine job.

With the mid- high vel 6.5s from 6.5×47 Lapua up thru 6.5 STW . Killing a deer at 400 yards isn't the issue since they all will do it well.
IMO the important thing is to find the round that is right for you. !!! For my use the mid vel 6.5s are ideal. I understand the round and rifles limitations and benefits and work accordingly. . If, Where I hunted or shot was real windy I would probably go with a faster cart.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.