Trying to decide on a bullet for my .243 WSSM for Deer/Antelope

jasonprox700

I have an AR in .243 WSSM. It has a 20" barrel with 1:10 twist. I purchased it for coyotes, but I'm getting the hankering to use it on something larger. I may use it for deer season here in Wisconsin this year, but I may also be making a trip to Wyoming next fall for antelope and deer and wouldn't mind using it for that.

I'm trying to decide which bullet I should use. Below are my choices so far. If you have any others, feel free to add them. I know a broadside shot is ideal, but I want a bullet that can handle a quartering shot directly into the shoulder and keep on into the boiler room.

-87gr Berger Hunting bullet (#24524)
-95gr Berger Hunting bullet (#24527) I've been told this will stabilize in a 1:10. I have some at home I'll try. If they stabilize, I'd probably go with these over the 87gr.
-90/95gr Nosler Accubond
-95gr CT Ballistic Silvertip
-80gr TTSX

I had a custom D-tech AR in 243wssm with 22" 10twist and shot the 87gr VLD RIGHT AROUND 3200fps. I killed many deer at the 500 yard Mark. They didnt know what hit them. In my opinion go with the 87gr assuming they shoot the best. With the shorter barrel you will want the extra speed. Thats my opinion right or wrong. Im a fan of heavy for caliber bullets. I killed alot of stuff with this set up and even took it caribou hunting, I was that confident in it.

Have you consider the 95 hordady SST?

The plastic tip give it high BC, the weight id well balanced for the caliber, it also expands well and the interlock cannelure push it deep trough tissue.

It looks hard to beat, isn't it?

It is also easy to crimp, wich you have to consider for an AR... Consistency, reliable trough autoloading steps and high gass pressure on the gas piston.

Just my 2 cents...

Hornady 100 grain, end of story. I've seen more deer come home on top of a truck because of one of those bullets than any other bullet period. My dad used a 243 for whitetails many moons ago and shot it for many years with a 100 hornady and I 4064. Did the trick to 1/4 mile or better if you did your job. I killed my first deer with that bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.