Trying to decide Savage vs Browning

Buck1970

Wanted to order a 280AI custom, but it's out of my budget.
Looked at Christian Arms but I don't like the stock on the Ridgeline which is on the high end of the budget at $2,000.
Looking at a Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Max Long-range for $1300 and a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter for around $900.
Either would allow me more $ to put into the scope.
Plan to shoot handloads mainly for deer and predators/hogs at ranges out to 750 or so. I am stuck on the 280AI just because.
Any suggestions are appreciated as to the browning or the savage, or something else in my budget and this caliber.
thanks

Browning and savage both make a good rifle. I have a hells canyon long range in .300 win mag that Really shoots great and I have a savage model 10 tactical in .243 win that also shoots really great. I'd suggest picking based on which stock design you like best because I'd put money on both of them shooting well with handloads.

Both in my experience make great rifles. I'm a straight up fan boy of Savage. Both are very accurate and must be the button rifled barrels. I prefer stainless steel no question so Savage. If metal trigger and extra cost does not matter I would go Browning. Have a 06 Hells Canyon doing load work now. Weighs 6lb 7oz and love the 60 deg bolt and stock.

I have an A-Bolt composite 280 Rem, with BOSS. Shoots great! I recently switch the stock out and got better results, but even in factory condition, the rifle has taken a lot of game.

The older ones has limited choices in 280Rem or 280AI, but if you aren't opposed to used, they can be found at good prices :)

I bought a Savage 280 AI in the Ultralight, and I'm doing load development right now. It's my first Savage and I had some issues with the AccuTrigger. After sending it back once to Savage, waiting six weeks, getting it back and it still mis-firing multiple times, I figured out online that they have a issue with mis-firing when the trigger pressure is set too light. I think Savage probably sent the rifle out twice with a trigger setting less than 1 lb. After re-setting the trigger to 2.5 lbs, I've got about 100 rounds in with no issues.

As far as accuracy, I'm working on 2 powders right now, H4831 and IMR7828. I've got 6-7 groups below 0.700 MOA, with one at 0.316. So it's an accurate gun, I should end up around 0.300. The trigger is a design I'm not real happy with, I may switch it out with a Basix or a Timney.

I bought a Savage 280 AI in the Ultralight, and I'm doing load development right now. It's my first Savage and I had some issues with the AccuTrigger. After sending it back once to Savage, waiting six weeks, getting it back and it still mis-firing multiple times, I figured out online that they have a issue with mis-firing when the trigger pressure is set too light. I think Savage probably sent the rifle out twice with a trigger setting less than 1 lb. After re-setting the trigger to 2.5 lbs, I've got about 100 rounds in with no issues.

As far as accuracy, I'm working on 2 powders right now, H4831 and IMR7828. I've got 6-7 groups below 0.700 MOA, with one at 0.316. So it's an accurate gun, I should end up around 0.300. The trigger is a design I'm not real happy with, I may switch it out with a Basix or a Timney.
Yeah I played with the trigger issue myself with too light of setting. The trigger on savages is okay but I HATE browning triggers and the odd way they recoil.
If you could put a Trigger tech on a savage it would be amazing JMO.

Both in my experience make great rifles. I'm a straight up fan boy of Savage. Both are very accurate and must be the button rifled barrels. I prefer stainless steel no question so Savage. If metal trigger and extra cost does not matter I would go Browning. Have a 06 Hells Canyon doing load work now. Weighs 6lb 7oz and love the 60 deg bolt and stock.
Same! If it isn't a custom it's a Savage for me. I have put together alot of semi custom savages and they are just amazing, minus the trigger is only okay.

As everyone said savage always for upgrades easy. But out of those two the browning would be my choice. My long range hunter just didn't impress me from the factory. New stock, and some minor adjustments and it's great. But if your goal is to purchase and shoot I would lean towards the browning.