Trying to decide Savage vs Browning

I bought a xbolt HCS in 280ai last fall. Trigger adjusted down to just under 3 lb without issue, which is light enough for me. It shoots under MOA with 2 of the 3 factory ammos I've tried in it. Really Iike the rifle. I'm not crazy about the cerakote finish though. It's a hunting rifle and I don't baby it, but it seems pretty easy to wear off.

I have no experience with the Brownng, but have accumulated about a have a dozen Savages that were offered as prizes at a local Egg Shoot competition of which Savage was one of the sponsors. The first was a 6.5x284 LRH that I initially planned on selling but I ended up keeping every one of the Savages. All have been exceptionally accurate, with the LRH capable of consistently hitting softball sized targets at 1000 yards, using it as my practice rifle for LRH.. it was still going strong with no degradation in accuracy at 1200 rounds when I re-barreled it and mounted the barreled action it in an MPA chassis. A few simple actions are necessary when they are in-boxed. 1) Sand off the stocks pressure tab at the tip of the fore-end, and any areas of the stock that might be making contact with the barrel. 2) sear the bedding screw torque at 45# at the barrel lug, and 25# at the tang. Don't over-tighten these screws. 3) IMO, the Accu-Trigger is a very shootable trigger. Check the seating of the trigger spring, and set little to no tension applied by the adjuster screw(this applies to the standard trigger-not the light tsrget trigger). This should produce a smooth, crisp and reliable at 2-2.5#. If you prefer a lighter weight trigger there are 1.5# springs available that are simple to install the same way as described, and function very nicely. I like the spring(only) used in the Timney Savage trigger.
Just some of my thoughts.
An early 500 yard target from 2011, and a 200 yard target about 1000 rounds later in 2019.
8C194F63-68DF-4507-BACA-1190E839BAE5.jpeg1F4B6A3C-B995-41EF-8B58-31ED8183F329.jpeg

I thought we were going to have a FIRST TIME EVER THREAD! Well done folks, just about everyone stayed on track....just about...lol. My vote goes to Browning and it sounds like I got the only GREAT TRIGGER...pull is 2.5 lbs on my Xbolt hunter, zero creep, beautiful accuracy and just me but I think Browning will hold its value far better if you are someone that resells.
I don't think they are bad triggers at all. I think it's juts the difference between some. If you get used to where and how it breaks you should be good either way.
But like everything I've shot some nice browning triggers and some rough ones.

Wanted to order a 280AI custom, but it's out of my budget.
Looked at Christian Arms but I don't like the stock on the Ridgeline which is on the high end of the budget at $2,000.
Looking at a Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Max Long-range for $1300 and a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter for around $900.
Either would allow me more $ to put into the scope.
Plan to shoot handloads mainly for deer and predators/hogs at ranges out to 750 or so. I am stuck on the 280AI just because.
Any suggestions are appreciated as to the browning or the savage, or something else in my budget and this caliber.
thanks
Take a look at Cooper.

Take a look at Cooper.
I have and they are a bit more than I need to spend right now. Have a friend who just got in his Alamo precision which on the lower price end of customs. Cost $3600 without optics.
Can't go there yet.
Cooper's are priced similar I believe.

I have several Brownings, 2 of them recent X-Bolts and 3 Savages bought over the last 4-5 years. I have bought my last Savage though, on the last M12 the barrel copper fouls so badly I can't stand it and it shoots about a 5-6" pattern on the first 5 from dead clean. After the first 5 I get 60-80 rounds of very good accuracy before groups open up and pressure signs start to show and it requires cleaning. I've run over 50 rounds through it shoot 1 clean to bare steel break-in and it hasn't helped at all. This rifle has 350-400 rounds through it now. Yes, my Savages all do shoot pretty decently to really well but I am not willing to put in the work it takes to clean them or waste ammo to get the groups back where they should be on the last one. The Brownings shoot better groups on average and have none of the offensive issues. The factory triggers do suck, but they are easily replaceable. You can buy two Savages for the price of one Browning it seems but I'd rather have one really nice rifle than 2 that irritate me. I am probably going to get lit up for my opinion on Savage but it is my honest opinion. I don't own one yet but from what I've seen on the range I would probably tell you to save a few bucks over the Browning and go get a Tikka if you were my buddy asking for my help picking a new rifle, every one I have shot (5-6 of them?) will shoot as tight as my Brownings and some even better.

I have several Brownings, 2 of them recent X-Bolts and 3 Savages bought over the last 4-5 years. I have bought my last Savage though, on the last M12 the barrel copper fouls so badly I can't stand it and it shoots about a 5-6" pattern on the first 5 from dead clean. After the first 5 I get 60-80 rounds of very good accuracy before groups open up and pressure signs start to show and it requires cleaning. I've run over 50 rounds through it shoot 1 clean to bare steel break-in and it hasn't helped at all. This rifle has 350-400 rounds through it now. Yes, my Savages all do shoot pretty decently to really well but I am not willing to put in the work it takes to clean them or waste ammo to get the groups back where they should be on the last one. The Brownings shoot better groups on average and have none of the offensive issues. The factory triggers do suck, but they are easily replaceable. You can buy two Savages for the price of one Browning it seems but I'd rather have one really nice rifle than 2 that irritate me. I am probably going to get lit up for my opinion on Savage but it is my honest opinion. I don't own one yet but from what I've seen on the range I would probably tell you to save a few bucks over the Browning and go get a Tikka if you were my buddy asking for my help picking a new rifle, every one I have shot (5-6 of them?) will shoot as tight as my Brownings and some even better.
As long as you keep in mind it's an opinion and not state things as factual you shouldn't get lit up. If you do get lit up those ppl are just foolish and you don't worry about them.

I actually have the exact opposite experience with the two brands, so like you I just state it as my experience and move on.

I have had only one Savage rifle, a Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 7mm-08, which only produced ho-hum accuracy despite trying 10 different factory loads.

I have multiple Browning X-Bolts, and I can say the X-Bolt is a really nice rifle. Fit and finish from Browning is always excellent. I especially like the tri-lug action, which allows good clearance between the bolt handle the scope ocular. The rotary magazine feeds really well. I also like the bolt-lock, which allows for unloading the gun with the safety on. 4 screws for each scope mount is a nice feature, too. Do the simple Mcarbo spring swap, and the X-Bolt trigger is really nice.

My wife's factory-stock X-Bolt Medallion in 6.5 Creedmoor (yes, she's a lefty):

At 100 yds with Norma factory ammo:

My wife's first deer, courtesy of the X-Bolt:

Last edited:
Wanted to order a 280AI custom, but it's out of my budget.
Looked at Christian Arms but I don't like the stock on the Ridgeline which is on the high end of the budget at $2,000.
Looking at a Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Max Long-range for $1300 and a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter for around $900.
Either would allow me more $ to put into the scope.
Plan to shoot handloads mainly for deer and predators/hogs at ranges out to 750 or so. I am stuck on the 280AI just because.
Any suggestions are appreciated as to the browning or the savage, or something else in my budget and this caliber.
thanks
I was a savage fan until I dealt with their customer service, never again! Possibly an employee having a bad day but I try to learn from my mistakes so never again!