Truth and cheat

Nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem. Mag. I have 1 and have had several. I also own multiple WSMs and the 300 WSM used on elk and the 7mm WSM used on deer have peformed well. I would happily recommend the WSMs, especially for short actions. Them 7mm Rem. mags are difficult to work in short actions.

Maybe somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. or their candidate for president lost.

To each his own!!

Last edited:
Why, did yours win?:confused:

Not to highjack this thread but,

No, but he is my President now, and I will pray for him each day to make the right decsions!
Also for all the people that will be directly affected by those decisions. I have a 28 year old in the Marines. I also hope we get to continue to choose between 7mm Rem. Mag and whatever the new calibers may be!

Last edited:

Neither do I. So one of the problems with the original poster - the fella that started this thread - he claims his 7mm RM would perform right along with the 338 Lapua, inferring that he wouldn't have any problems using it in any hunting situation the 338 Lapua could rightfully be put to use.

On the other matter, you've got a healthy attitude concerning our recent Presidential election, as well as our President-elect. Good for you. ;) But you'll find any number of sour-pusses if you patrol the political forum; they seem to be working up ulcers as we communicate. You'd think the world was coming to an end. Like it or not, we got what we got.

Not to be a technical geek but whats a 7mm Win Mag????:D

Every situation has a "Class" of chambering that "CAN" get the job done and many many more that "WILL EASILY" get the job done.

To me, long range hunting for big game is a choice on my part. I do not want a chambering that "CAN" get the job done, I want one that takes as much guess work out of the equation as possible simply because its more responsible in MY MIND to not use a chambering that will get the job done in good conditions.

I want a chambering that will get the job done even if I do not dope the shooting conditions exactly but still get them close.

I suppose a 338 AM or 375 AM would cause some of us to pass out and they certainly are not the best for most situations in fact but when they are appropriate, there is nothing out there that will really run with them other then other wildcats in their same class.

Say a 1000 lb bull elk is feeding calmy on that sidehill at 1500 yards. No way to get closer before light fades and because of the cover, even if you were on the same hillside, you would never be able to see him until you were on top of him and likely he would wind you long before you got a shot off.

If I were sitting there with a 7mm Rem Mag, no matter how accurate and consistant it was, I would never consider the shot. IF I was sitting there with my 338 AX or espeically 338 AM, Again, in ideal conditions and alot of range time on the rifle, there would be no doubt about the practicality of taking that shot and making it with confidence. Not only making the hit but knowing that that big 300 gr SMK would do the work needed no matter where I hit the bull in the vital zone at that range.

Anyway. lets look at some numbers at 1500 yards at 6000 ft elevation.

7mm RM with 168 gr VLD @ 3050 fps
Retained velocity............................1542 fps
Retained energy..............................887 ft/lbs
Drift..............................................6.75 moa
TOF..............................................2.0833 sec

338 AX w/ 300 gr SMK @ 3000 fps
Retained velocity.............................1704 fps
Retained energy...............................1933 ft/lbs
Drift...............................................5.5 moa
TOF...............................................1.9936 sec

338 AM w/ 300 gr SMK @ 3400 fps
REtained velocity..............................1991 fps
Retained energy...............................2640 ft/lbs
Drift...............................................4.5 moa
TOF...............................................1.7343 sec

Now, lets look at the drop numbers if those are important to you, with a 100 yard zero for each and then adjustment needed for 1500 yard zero:
7mm Rem Mag..................................40.0 moa
338 AX...........................................37.5 moa
338 AM...........................................28.5 moa

Many will tell you that the 338 AM is so overkill its basically worthless for any big game hunting. That is until they actually are able to slap steel consistantly and accurately at a mile with a 16 lb rifle that has no recoil hardly at all. Again, opinions are fine, we all have them, lord knows I do as well, but when an opinion is so off with what real world experience proves, its hard to not call someone on it.

For extreme range hunting on big game, there are dozens of choices that are much better and much more impressive at long range on big game.

THe trick is to match up what you want to do with the right equipment. In many cases, the 7mm Rem Mag is just fine. In others its not. Same goes for every other chambering including my wildcats. When used when they should be, they all work great. There is no perfect chambering for all situations and to attack all the larger chamberings because you favor the 7mm RM is simply silly.

Whoa.... a lot has transpired today :rolleyes:

Trshooter, I have hunted most of my life with a 7mm RM. It's a great cartridge and has always served me well. But... there are better cartridges out there. In the 7mm size there is the STW, Dakota and RUM, not to mention wildcats like the AM. Yeah, they are more spendy in brass and powder, but hey, they do more too. And if folks like a particular cartridge, good on them.

Oh, and BTW, if you're a reloader, the belted 7mm RM will probably be more expesive in the long run than the RUM or Dakota

Question for you...

7mm RM 168 Berger, MV 3050, BC .643

300 RUM 210 Berger, MV 3150, BC .647

Which one wins? It dont take a math genious to figure that one out.

Hi,

Last word.... you don't need a 300 or a 338 caliber !!!! a 7mm Remington Magnum with a 168gr Berger Bullet at 3050 Fps retaine more velocity, energy and less drop at 1000 yds than a 300 RUM... it's a fact !!!!! it stand with a 338 Lapua at 1500 Yds...... no comment !

I have to say i don't have any of these calibers and am new to long range shooting so i don't know much, but i actually don't think this guy was saying a 7rm was close at 1500 yards compared to a 338 lapua. I think he may have left the sentence incomplete and meant to say "will it stand" and put "no comment" because he knew it was not close. I do believe he was comparing it to the 300Rum stating that he was giving facts in which he was providing opnion.

it's too bad that Trshooter is probibly not going to ever read any of these posts and if he did judging by the langauge he use he wound not lean athing and he would simply think that we are all idiots for thinking that there is anything beter than the 7mm rm i have to agree with ever one that yes it work and thats has been proven but there are berter things out there and some one will always come out with some thing beter it is in our nature just give it time and before you know it there will be something new out that rivals all else
that is my bit and i wish that we could all learn that there is merit in every one's opinion

I was always told to shoot the biggest caliber "you" are comfortable shooting. For me, it's a .300 Win Mag. I'm a recoil junky, and like to shoot bigger guns, but to sit down at the bench and fire 20+ rounds, I like my .300. I owned a 7mm Rem Mag, and wouldnt mind having another one. I just like the wide range of bullets available for the .30 calibers. If I want to shoot varmints, I'll use 110 V-Max's, deer 165-180gr soft points, Elk 200gr Accubonds. If someone is wanting a magnum and asks me about it, I just let them shoot my .300 or .325. Really it just comes down to "To each his own", because variety is the spice of life. If it wasnt for new calibers, we'd all still be using black powder muskets. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.