Top Gunsmiths

My short list, a few of these men were already mentioned. My father and I own or have shot rifles built by these men and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Random order:

My list for what ever its worth:

AR Tactical
Chris Matthews
Shawn Carlock
Nathan Dagley
Ray Romain
Kirby Allen

AG

We were given two ears and one mouth !

Hmmm that tells me that we are supposed to listen twice as much
as we talk.

I think I'll set this one out.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

Wildcat,

Isn't Richard a good smith. Not a suprise he is on the list from what you have been saying about his work......

What are you reading into my post my friend?

Again, your list is filled with very good smiths, I am not offended not to make your list of your preferred smiths.

Kirby Allen(50)

These types of threads always end up in the toilet as someone always gets the ole underwear in a wad..... I usually am in the middle of most things but not this one.

I have had guns built by Darrel Holland , Charley Sisk , Mike Bryant and reciently Nathen Dagley. Three of these guys had built me fine rifles that shot better than I could shoot them and thats in the low.2's and some ,1's one rifle that the fourth smith built was very dissapointing , the machine work was poor and the accuracy was in the .5" range with ALOT of work. If I have another gun built before I can get access to the machines to do it myself I'll more than likely have Nathen Dagley build it , the customer service and turn around time was second to none and the machine work was as good as I have ever seen .. I have seen a gun built by Greg Tannel and it was very nice but it took almost a year to get it.

A list that has the "top" smiths on it realy doesen't mean squat , what are these guys measured by? I'm a nobody as far as custom gun builders are concerned but I will put a gun built by me up against any other gun builders in the world , so if I build a gun that out shoots one built by one of the guys on your list does that make me the best ? NO , that means that I probably got a better barrel or some other minute BS.

Anyway I'm now sorry I wasted my time here

My most accurate specialty handguns have been built by Kirby Allen, Greg Tannel, and Chunk Youngblood. There are some other guys on this forum and not on this forum who are great smiths, but these are the ones I have used personally. All three of these men have been very helpful to me through the years on a number of issues-Thanks Guys for building some great rigs!

I'm new here and have read more than I have posted. This thread is very interesting as to the impressions several smiths have left on several different people. Interesting enough that I thought I would speak up. Kirby Allen, your dead on sir and your reputation has preceded you, you have my utmost respect. I've been involved in LR hunting/shooting for many years, I've used several different smiths and known a few more. If your building a Hunting Rig Kirby is a fine smith, I've spoken with Chris Matthews several times and a friend is having a rifle built by him as I type. Shawn Carlock, well enough said, his reputation speaks for it's self. I now build my own rifles and can tell you, use whom ever your comfortable with and trust. All the names mentioned are very capable smiths. Since Kirby Allen and Shawn Carlock post here and are always eager to assist and share their knowledge, I'd say look no farther, you certainly won't get a better job. Good luck to all.

Guys, I have avoided joining in threads for some time because of this nonsense. Perhaps I missed something in another post. Wildcat posted his list of gunsmiths and that is fine. Why don't we all do that so people can get real opinions about who is good and who is not.

I have heard great things about many of the smiths that Kirby mentioned and Wildcat mentioned. I do not think it is right for someone to say someone is a great smith is they do not have first hand knowledge, it is not honest and may hurt people in the end. My smith is not listed on anybody's list, but my rifles shoot lights out. There is no point in mentioning his name since he is retired. (Except for his buddies, thankfully!)

I think that listing different smiths is helpful since some smiths are closer to where we live than others. And, as Kirby pointed out, build different types of rifles. There are many great smiths out there and we should be sharing this info and building MORE guns instead of fighting with each other.

Aren't we all supposed to be on the same side?

Guys, we need to get along

Roll-your-own, that exactly what I was trying to do. The smiths I listed, I and my friends have experience with all of them, that's why I listed them.

I have never owned a rifle by Kirby, however, I know he is an EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT smith!!!! I am almost positive Kirby will be so successful, he too will be on a list of the top gunsmiths on 6mmBR.com. I think his Allen Mags should get some national attention, they are awesome creations.

I have recommended people, to have Kirby build their long range Rifle.

I am being torn up by some of the posters, I think it's pretty sad.

Anyhow, I think it would be great to add as many good gunsmiths, aswell as bad ones too.

I am done with this post, however, one more thing before I go;

The remark by ss7mm is really funny. He is what we call, in my profession, a Widow Warrior. A Window Warrior is someone who talks a bunch of crap behind the window and as soon as you pull him out of the car or cell, he shuts his pie hole real quick!!!

You know, the same guy in the bar that talks crap to you while inside, but as soon as your outside, he shuts his trap. I see and hear guys like him day in and day out. There really funny and most of the time pathetic. Don't worry ss7mm, I could say some pretty funny stuff about you. However, I have a little more integrity than you.

Wildcat

Roll-Yur-Own,

You may want to review this previous thread: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/what-joke-24384/

to put this thead into context. May help a bit.

Cheers!

Guys, I have avoided joining in threads for some time because of this nonsense. Perhaps I missed something in another post. Wildcat posted his list of gunsmiths and that is fine. Why don't we all do that so people can get real opinions about who is good and who is not.

I have heard great things about many of the smiths that Kirby mentioned and Wildcat mentioned. I do not think it is right for someone to say someone is a great smith is they do not have first hand knowledge, it is not honest and may hurt people in the end. My smith is not listed on anybody's list, but my rifles shoot lights out. There is no point in mentioning his name since he is retired. (Except for his buddies, thankfully!)

I think that listing different smiths is helpful since some smiths are closer to where we live than others. And, as Kirby pointed out, build different types of rifles. There are many great smiths out there and we should be sharing this info and building MORE guns instead of fighting with each other.

Aren't we all supposed to be on the same side?

Guys, we need to get along

Wildcat,

I am going to try to stay as respectable as I possibly can with this reply. We have had out past dealings, water under the bridge in my opinion.

I do not mind being questioned by anyone because I have never stated anything on this board that is not based in practical real world testing on my part or from data I have studied from reputable parties. So healthy debate is always a good thing.

Offering information about as many quality smiths as we possibly can is also a very good thing. We can not have to many good smiths or offer their names to many times. That is how we as rifle builders make out living, word of mouth. I rely on that 100% for my advertisements.

To that end, I hold my potential customers in very high requards. I hold my current and past customers to an even higher level of personal respect. There have been a very small handful of people out there that have really been tight with me in the development and testing of the Allen Magnum wildcat rounds. The list is so short that I would like to list them now to give them the attention they deserve, in fact they deserve much more then this.

First and formost is my good personal friend Richard Graves. He has been with me from the time before the Allen Magnums were even an idea. He has always bent over backwards to offer me what I need to make my wildcats what they really are today. The man would do anything for me and my family and I would return the priviledge any minute of any day. I look at him as family far more then a friend. Richard has by far been the largest supporter of me and my wildcats with the joint partnership we have had with these adventures. More so then any business venture, he is my friend.

There are also three "civilians" if you will that have also helped me greatly in getting the Allen Magnums up and running.

Two of which are known on here by the call signs Lerch and Bill Bailey. They took a chance and ordered the first two 270 Allen Magnums that were sent to customers and did nearly as much testing, shooting and promoting of the 270 Allen Magnums as I did. I see those two as responsible for the huge success of the 270 AM because they gave it credibility with a third party opinion and offered great reports with detailed data and results which resulted in many more customers joining the Allen Magnum family of users. They really brought the 270 AM out in front of alot of people and get it started.

I can not count the times that these two have come to defend not only the AM chamberings and Wildcat Bullets but also just to back me up personally. That is what friends do and I have two very good friends in the Okie state. In fact, I can not wait until next spring to go down and do some exotic hunting with them.

Finally, the man that has helped me from the start of the 7mm AM project. He is none other then SS7mm. I know him as Dick and see him as more of a true friend then a customer.

He helped with the original set up cost for the 7mm AM when it was only an idea on paper and I did not have the funds to get set up on my own. He helped out with his own $$$$.

He also took possesion of the very first 7mm AM sent to a customer which was reported about here on LRH. He has offered alot of loading data and ballistic data for this round and the 200 gr ULD RBBT. All freely to anyone that was interested.

He has also weathered some storms with me concerning the 7mm AM and dealing with growing pains associated with bring such an extreme performance round into true long term reliable functioning status, not just a crazy idea.

His rifle has been sent back several times for new barrels to be fitted because original barrel designs proved incompatable with the 200 gr ULD RBBT. Even secondary barrel designs recommended by another smith proved even worse with these bullets. Third time was the charm and we designed the barrel specs that we wanted and had them built specifically for our purpose and requirements.

All the while, Dick never once gave up on the idea of the 7mm AM. Never one did he bitch about the delays or problems we were seeing, that was over an 18 month time span at least. Never once did he say anything but that the 7mm AM is the most impressive round he had ever used in the field and he did not want anything other then that round and he wanted to be a part of the headaches to figure out these problems and get the round up and running to its full potential because he believed in what I wanted to do and he understood that we could do it if we got the correct componants.

Never once did Dick say, maybe you should just build me a 7mm RUM and we will be done with this mess because that would have been ALOT easier for him and I would have done it in a second on my dime, but that never happened.

Instead, he offered to help fund some of the original set up costs. Then when we were testing new barrel designs, I told him I would cover all costs including barrel and machining costs. Then a check shows up in the mail to cover the cost of the new barrel price.............

How many people would do that when they were just told that there would be no charge at all.

Dick has experienced the extreme excitement using a round like this will give you knowing that anything within 2000 yards is in serious trouble in his rifle. Then he has experienced the severe frustration when the original plan stops working as it did in the beginning. Not only once but twice he did this.

Never once blinking in his unfailing support of me, of Richard Graves and of the 7mm Allen Magnum.

Now I am not one to get real ****ed when someone comes after me. I will stand my ground and debate anyone and I seldom get fired up when I get attached personally.......

BUT!!!

When someone that has no idea about the man they are talking about throws out totally uneducated childish comments such as "SS7mm is a Window Warrior" I get pretty ****ed off.

Dick has experienced more in his life then you my friend probably ever will. Just in development of the 7mm AM alone, he has done more legit ballistic testing and load development then most will ever do in a lifetime. To say he just sits behind the **** computer and has no real world experience or that if you met him in real life he would back down from the likes of you are so laughable that your hardly worth replying to.

Dick has been in my shop, I have met the man face to face, I have shaken his hand, I have looked in his eyes and I know that he is 100% real to what he says and believes. I also know for a fact that you would not back him down in a bar. I also know that he has more dignity then most anyone else I have ever known.

So for you to disrespect him in this way, well, it only shows why you are getting the replies you are. You disrespect people at the drop of a hat. Most of the time, it is people that are trying to help you out and simply offer you legit real world experience and for that you start calling them names or referring to them as weak trying to break them down.

Talk about a window warrior to use your own words.

Again, your own words prove the person you are. Funny thing about the web, people can hide who they are for a while but the more then talk, especially when they are emotionally charged up, the true colors come out and in your case, I see nothing but a very insecure person who will go into personal attachs anytime you are questioned on some topic, even if they offer solid data against what you believe of think you believe.

Again, you can think of me what you want, I could care less.

But to say that Dick(SS7mm) is a WINDOW WARRIOR is flat out insulting not only to him but this entire group of people as Dick has freely offered any information he can to anyone that asks. He does not chime in just to test which way the breeze is going. He has a solid knowledge base, a solid experience base from DOING, not from talking or hearing about it from someone else that has done it.

Dick researches a project, decides in his mind if it is worth his time and investment and then commits one way or another, not being influenced by every opinion that may be out there. He makes up his mind, HE DOES IT, and then accepts the risks that may and do happen.

This is simply my opinion of you, you are not man enough to call Dick what you have and all your doing is being a Window Warrior yourself.

Again, keep talking because all that read you long enough will certainly learn who you truely are. Like I said, when you start with the childish comments like you seem to always fall back on, you loose credibility in your debate, no matter if your point is valid of not.

Anyway, you are truely a waste of time but just wanted to state the facts about Dick because Wildcat here has not a clue in the world what he is talking about when he addresses Dick in any way.

For the rest of my customers, I hold them in very high respect as well, again, all my customers are friends to me. I just have a very tight nit group of people that have helped me out a great deal and when those people get attached by someone like Jake Hogue, I get a bit upset and want to set the record straight on the character of a fine man such as Dick.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby---I must say that was very nicely said and you are to be commended for actually sitting down and typing out that statement. That being said I shoot 1K and before I started competing 2 seasons ago I shot long range at the ranch mostly at clay pigeons and gong but more than a couple feral hogs. My preference is to win and in that respect I use who I think is one of the finest on the planet (was not on the list btw) who for the most part is not active building rifles right now but had more than 1 rifle in the winners circle at the F-Class Nationals.

Everyone has opinions with some being well founded on discernable facts and experiences and others quite simply do not. The secret is to be able to filter out those that do not and let them be. Just be calm and address the issue then move on as the continued frustration of dealing from "past baggage" will continue to haunt one until the other party involved decides to let it go.

There is some excellent information on here about smiths. I am glad someone posted this. However, I think the bad smiths should be mentioned on this thread too.

Festus, posted information about a bad smith he did buisness with. I would really like to know who that smith was. I don't ever want to send my rifle project to that guy.

P44

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts