Gunsmiths

Greg Duerr

I have received several PM from guys that have had bad experiences with reputable Smiths in the Past, I know Im one of them.
Three years ago I hired a Smith, I wont mention his name, who was to build me a Rifle. Many other guys on this sight have used him. I was told that my Rifle would be done in 6 months, which was perfect as four months after I was suppose to receive my Rifle I had an Antelope Tag that I had been putting in for Seven Years. Six months came and went still no rifle. One month before the season I called and was told that the Barrel still had not come in so I called the barrel company and was told that HE had no outstanding orders. Another call and I was told that he and another Smith waited until they had enough orders to received the big discount for multiple barrels. He hoped It would be in soon. I received the Rifle three months later after the season of which I had to borrow a rifle. Finally but my wait was just starting. After over 300 rounds fired with different kinds of Power and Bullets it would not shoot Boat-tail bullets come to find out the reasmer was the first one he bought years and years ago............The throut was wide. So now Im spending another $1000 to have it done right.....Total cost over $3000

You want a good Smith ask a lot of People and get a lot of Referances from the Smith...................................I have a good friend who sent a good smith an action and stock and the $$$ One year later he had not started the project .................six months later still no RIfle. Clint got a little ****ed at him and now three years later.......................???

Dang sorry to hear that, I feel pretty fortunate the smith who built my rifle is only 16 miles from my house, does awesome work and gets it done in the time frame he gives me.

I guess we are just lucky, John Whidden is only about an hour away. He has built 3 rifles for me so far and all shoot less than .5 moa.

Randygun)

Well I have used some talented gunsmiths in the past that were very good and very unprofessional like those mentioned above. I am getting old and my eyes and good hunting years left are limited and I have no use for a gunsmith that screw me around for years waiting. I finally found a amazing gunsmith that is also professional about his business. I have built more than I'll ever be able to shoot, so I'll share the best kept secret in Texas Tumbleweeds Thousand Yard F-Class, Rimfire and High Power Silhouette, and High-Grade Hunting Rifles

I know Matt Pharr! He is in round rock texas. The guys at my range in liberty hill swear by him. Thanks for the reminder. I need to give him a call to see if hell do a custom build for me. By Pharr the best. Lol....

Also, did not mean to thread hijack. I know the feeling about bad business. I had a rifle built by Chris Matthews of long shot rifles. Took two years to get it. It was a work of art and shot amazing but I just wish his business skills where as amazing as his craftsmanship. I know when he filed for bankruptcy some guys on the forum got screwed.

Yep, that's funny I have a rifle being built at Mark Pharr's shop right now but he did not want to do the bolt fix. Mark has the Sporter 8mm in the above pictures. If you want to see Fincher's work he has it, he thought is looked great. I found 10 new unissued virgin barrels in the white so he is installing one on that 8mm and leaving the front sight off.

Yep, that's funny I have a rifle being built at Mark Pharr's shop right now but he did not want to do the bolt fix. Mark has the Sporter 8mm in the above pictures. If you want to see Fincher's work he has it, he thought is looked great. I found 10 new unissued virgin barrels in the white so he is installing one on that 8mm and leaving the front sight off.

Thats great to hear. I am going to give him a call today. Good to know reputable smith for sure! Also, I know its Mark and not Matt from my above post. I type faster than my brain processes. lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts