Time for an edge

stevescg80

Will be sending my action to jim at centershot the end of this week for him to build me an edge
He will be truing the action installing a 30" stainless brux barrel #10 mtu profile 1in10 twist and chambering for the 338 edge with a heavy recoil lug.Still undecided as far as which stock to get and what to do for a brake?Going to run it as a single shot but may eventually get the seekins bottom metal.What loads are you guys using for starting loads with the 300 mk?I have 200 pcs of brass and would like to have it loaded and waiting.Any advice is welcome.

Jim installed one of his 3port brakes on my remington 700 sendero - 300win mag. The rifle and scope weigh close to 10#. The break works extremely well. I was shooting some federal factory 200 grain loads with it. I would compare the recoil to a light load shot out of a muzzleloader. Just a gentle push - very pleasant to shoot. I have seen the video on his new muscle break - it looks really good.

With Jims break I cant even tell where the barrel stops and the break begins - absolutely seamless. PM me if you want to see a picture.

The same day i shot my buddies Savage weather warrior 338 win mag with the savage muzzle break - I was very surprised at the amount of muzzle blast that came directly back into my face.

Shawn Carlock built my 338 edge and recommended not loading a bunch of ammo for it until i got it. he said usually the go to load works just right, but sometimes a person may need to tweak it.

It turned out to be good advise. Mine needed to be tweaked a little. I am shooting 86 grains of H-1000. Most guys i have talked to are using 90-92 grains.

I would ask your smith what he recomends. Its an awesome caliber and you will enjoy it!

Steve, when I have to test an edge I usually go to my load of 89 grains of H1000.
Worked well in all so far but I agree with the above statment. If you want to load a dozen or so break in rounds, that would be my load.

Talked to jim see from centershot on friday what a great guy to deal with. Hes going to put an original csr break on my edge Now im on the hunt for a great stock was thinking of the fully adj stock from bell and carlson anyone using one of these? I would love to see some pics of you guys rigs in the edge caliber and what setups your using.

yes, I would not load for it until you have it. My edge can take much more powder before pressure signs develop and still shoots single digits es and very good accuracy

Will be sending my action to jim at centershot the end of this week for him to build me an edge
He will be truing the action installing a 30" stainless brux barrel #10 mtu profile 1in10 twist and chambering for the 338 edge with a heavy recoil lug.Still undecided as far as which stock to get and what to do for a brake?Going to run it as a single shot but may eventually get the seekins bottom metal.What loads are you guys using for starting loads with the 300 mk?I have 200 pcs of brass and would like to have it loaded and waiting.Any advice is welcome.

Not sure if you would consider laminate or solid wood but Joel Russo builds some awesome stocks. Here's a link to his website. Charlie

Home_Page

Might as well prep the brass. I think CCI 250 primmers and H-1000 should be a given. It does not take long to fill powder and seat a bullet after that.

Enjoy the edge. Great caliber. 92 grains H-1000, CCI 250, and R-P brass = 2860 fps for me.

BT

That's great. You're giving me the bug but not sure if I should pick up a Sendero 300 RUM and play with that for a while, then rebarrel, or just find a donor action and go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.