Time for a .204 Ruger

CarolinaVH

Hello everybody. I have been a long time lurker and have had really enjoyed reading the posts on this Forum. Learned a lot as well. Decided to officially join the Forum so that I can ask and get some specific information. My first post! I like the smaller calibers and have developed an interest in the .204 Ruger. Love being able to see the bullet strikes. I will use it for range shooting for fun and playing around with load development; and also for small varmint hunting (ground hogs here in the East, have a SD prairie dog trip planned this summer). Already have a .17HMR and .223 Remington but want something in the 32-40gr bullet range (I know that the .223 will shoot 40gr bullets). Have narrowed my search down to three rifles... the Remington 700 VLS (VSSF II if I can find one), the Kimber 84M Varmint, and the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint. I know there are other great rifles out there besides these like the Sako, CZ, Browning, Savage, etc but for whatever reasons these are the ones that I have settled on. I know that I can't really go wrong with any of these three but would like to get you all's comments and opinions on these rifles to help with my decision. Looking for information on out of box performance (accuracy, strength and smoothness of bolt, trigger, reliability, etc). Know there is a price variance with these three but that is not a major consideration other than I don't want to spend more bucks without some enhancements that warrant the extra cost. I would greatly appreciate your insight on the differences, unique quirks, and features that each of my three finalists have. Opinions are very much welcome. Just want to hear about these rifles and gather information before I make my decision. I am looking forward to reading all the responses from this great Forum. Thanks for the help.

Vanguard would be my pick, I do not own a 204 but I load for 3 friends that do, and do all the testing and have yet to be impressed, a 22-250 will out run a 40grn in 204 with a 50grn bullet by over 100fps, I have also ran 40grn noslers up close to 4350 from a 22-250 and the 35s will easily break 4500, so imo a 204 is not efficient. One of my friends has the kimber you speak of and it shoots good, but its not good enough for the money, he wished he would have bought the savage 12 bvss 22-250 sitting next to it.

Vangaurd varmint Sub MOA or now it's "range certified"
Comes with a composit stock and an ok trigger..22-250 would get my vote. I dont think the vangaurd comes in 204.

Thanks for the quick replies. Very good advice. To tell you the truth I have always wanted a 22-250 but was concerned that the recoil of the 22-250 would not allow to see bullet strikes, would it? The reason this comes up is that I can go shooting by myself and not require a spotter to see where it hits. Of course if I hit the target I don't need a spotter, right? LOL.

In a varmint weight rifle recoil is practically non exsistant, in a 6# short barreled sporter it may jump a little.

have several 204s, favorite is a rem. xr100. it will place 26gr bergers in one hole out to 300yds. has about 2500 rounds through it cleaned twice. own several 223 22-250s and 220 swifts. if i want to see my shots, experiance zero recoil this little jem gets the nod.

None of the above, I'm a 223/CZ, 20PPC/Savage and 243/savage fan!
The couple of 204s in the safe run neck and neck with the 223s.Some days the 204s outshoot the 223s and some days the 223s do better.
If your new 204 likes and you feed it Hornady factory ammo it might outshoot the average 223 but will have a hard time keeping up with the 223ai. Good luck finding a reload the 204 likes that comes even close to factory velocities. Not saying it cant be done but IMHO it aint easy.
The 22-250 heats up very fast and recoil will keep you from seeing most of the action, on a good day I can watch a few hits from my 22-250 and 243 shootin 55 grainers but I'd rather hand it to a buddy and spot for him:D
I'm kinda kicking around the new 17Hornet round in a lightweight walkabout gun for seeing my hits?

The secret to watching your hits with a 22-250 is called a muzzle brake. It is so much fun to watch PD's explode when hit with a high velocity .224 pill.

+2 on the muzzle brake. i have a defensive edge brake on my 260 and i can see my shot most of the time. it does a better job then i even thought it could. a brake on a 22-250 would be awesome way to go,

Carolina VH I am with your kind of thinking. I have a 17 HMR that I have never shot and I went out to the boonies with a couple of friends that shot the 204 and one guy with a 17 and had a chance to shoot both and I settled on the 204. I will be going after coyotes in Utah, over by the Colorado border. I just sent for the 204 and it should be here to me by Mon. Then I will head for the boonies again

Vanguard would be my pick, I do not own a 204 but I load for 3 friends that do, and do all the testing and have yet to be impressed, a 22-250 will out run a 40grn in 204 with a 50grn bullet by over 100fps, I have also ran 40grn noslers up close to 4350 from a 22-250 and the 35s will easily break 4500, so imo a 204 is not efficient. One of my friends has the kimber you speak of and it shoots good, but its not good enough for the money, he wished he would have bought the savage 12 bvss 22-250 sitting next to it.
backwood83.. Could you give me a run down on the prices of your reloads for the 204?? I will furnish the brass

I have a Savage M12 with a 26" Varmint Barrel PLUS a muzzle break. I get 4,320fps with 32gr VMax Bullets and evening at 24 power and close range, you see the prairie dogs explode

I also would put a brake on a 22-250 I did on mine heavy barrel Rem and can see fly's disappear from the target when they land (helps to smear a little honey on the target) fun though

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.