Thumbhole stocks ?

Thanks for all the replies. This rifle is just a 22-250 with a varmint barrel. Most shots will be 90% sitting and shooting with cross sticks. I have an R-25 and so I am use to a pistol grip. All my other rifles are regular stocks. I guess I will try a thumbhole. I want be hunting anywhere they out law them. I could use my other rifles if I ever went to a state that does.

Interesting replies. I may have to consider one. They look like a stock that allows more comfortable trigger hand placement on the stock, but I always imagined getting my thumb in and out of that hole might be error prone under stressful, hectic scenarios.

I'll had a not useful information for Tnwhip doing varmint hunting but for big game hunting where I know I'll have to do tracking or walk with rifle in hands the thumbhole stocks is not my first choice because I feel it is slower to remove the safe and put back my right hand on the stock then just lifting the thumb on a regular stock to remove the safety.

Personal preference.

...for big game hunting where I know I'll have to do tracking or walk with rifle in hands the thumbhole stock is not my first choice because I feel it is slower to remove the safety and put back my right hand on the stock then just lifting the thumb on a regular stock to remove the safety.

Personal preference.

Yes, working the safety is another consideration for a dangerous game rifle. That's probably why the Randy Lawson thumbhole stock in AZShooter's photo's comes equipped with a cross bolt safety thru the trigger guard. Simple to disengage the safety with the trigger finger, same as with many shotguns.

"Lawson has a crossbolt safety in the trigger guard something that the other thumbholes don't offer."

I was looking on the Boyd's web site and they also have what they call a Tacticool stock. What is everyons thought on it over the thumbhole?

I bought a tacticool for a LA rem 700. Inletting was very good. I only had to open up barrel channel. Nice paint too. The angular recoil pad was a mistake, should have stayed with conventional shape. While I can use it with a rabbit ear rear bag the cutout I prefer a non notched bottom. The grip is nice as is the forend. I drilled out the rear of the stock under the recoil pad and went in a ways in the grip and removed almost 1/2 lb of wood. Can't beat the $125 price.

I don't and won't go with thumbhole stocks. I'm a lefty and my brother and father are righties so it makes borrowing rifles back and forth impossible if we go with thumbhole stocks. The minute you don't think you'll ever need to use someone else's rifle in the field is when you will. I got cocky a few years back and brought out an untested lh 270 without a spare rifle; the action jambed when I fell and I ended up having to borrow a rh 25-06 from my father that I'd never shot before to harvest my deer. If it were a thumbhole stock I'd have been finished for the day.

from my personal experience with thumbholes, I would say that follow up shots are just as fast (maybe slower if you are going by the millisecond). The statement of thumbholes not being as versatile for hunting sounds like it comes without personal experience. I can see if it is going into a scabbard, but that's about where it ends.
Ambidextrous... well you got me on that one. But I would say with confidence that I could shoot a left hand rifle thumbhole in a pinch (of course I'm righty). There is however Manners that has the MCS-GAT and MCS-T5 that are ambidextrous.
For dangerous game or if I'm worried about grizz, I take my thumb out of the holelightbulb.

I find that they are more natural in any position, bench to off hand. I like pistol grips too. I'm slowly putting a thumbhole or pistol grip stock on everything I own.

The only thumbhole I got to try was an AICS Remington 700. Personally I didnt like it. I prefer conventional straight stock or vertical pistol grip ala McMillan A5. Idk, it just didnt feel right to have my thumb like that.

Ambidextrous... well you got me on that one. But I would say with confidence that I could shoot a left hand rifle thumbhole in a pinch (of course I'm righty). There is however Manners that has the MCS-GAT and MCS-T5 that are ambidextrous.
For dangerous game or if I'm worried about grizz, I take my thumb out of the holelightbulb.
depends on the stock... many thumbholes will break ( or wrench it a good one) your thumb if you try to shoot the rifle on the opposite side... some are ambidextrous...

I love my thumbhole stocks! I shoot prone kneeling and off hand a lot. I prefer the feel of the HS Precision PSS120 and PSS046. The hole is smaller on the HS, but I just love the way it feels. I am short with T-Rex arms so I have it cut to a 12.5 LOP and add a 1/4 inch spacer on one for summer shooting in prone.
I also have a Manners GAT that I am not fond of the feel but it is for a WINCHESTER action and HS only makes thumbholes for Remington actions. I also have an Bell & Carlson thumbhole for a Win action, that I bought in a pinch when the Manners did not show up. It is nice feeling and to me feels a touch better then the manners, that is all I will say about it.
I live in Big time Grizzly country and feel that in no way does a thumbhole stock hinder anything other then when I have to off hand a grizzly I will shoot better! I shoot it pretty fast as well when needed, some wolves, numerous elk, a boat load of coyotes and a couple of bears do not like the feel of my thumbhole stocks though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.