Thumbhole stocks

Anyone else like the look and feel of thumbhole stocks ? These are all from Boyds and the fit and finish is excellent .
193E7FAE-23C5-4226-9E74-6998EBC087B9.jpeg

Deputy, I have never shot a thumb hole stock, never handled one. I know, my loss. at this point I am not downing them, I am not really having an opinion about them. I do have interest in shooting one just because I want to know how they shoot and if the ergo's are good for me. I just shot my first McMillan A-4/A-5 stock. I found it a bit too thick in several areas/ways. the grip needs to get whittled down for my hands, the grip needs to go forward for my shorter fingers and I told McMillan about it. Will they listen.. very doubtful. I have thought about ordering a Boyds Feather weight Thumbhole stock just to see. I have a 270 WSM that has an ugly plastic stock.

I have a laminated thumb holed stock on a SKA .762 and I love it. Gun has absolutely no recoil as all sks but I dog for deer around here and its a quick up and shoot. Happy I put it on...

Anyone else like the look and feel of thumbhole stocks ? These are all from Boyds and the fit and finish is excellent .View attachment 182519

I liked Boyd's until it split for the second time. Then they wouldn't replace it. I'm permanently done with them. Funny thing is I need a longer LOP and always order aftermarket stocks, but they will get none of that business. Even politely told the CS rep that but if info, which had no immediate effect.

I liked Boyd's until it split for the second time. Then they wouldn't replace it. I'm permanently done with them. Funny thing is I need a longer LOP and always order aftermarket stocks, but they will get none of that business. Even politely told the CS rep that but if info, which had no immediate effect.
Was it full length pillar bedded? I won't shoot any wood stocked gun, including solid walnut, until they are bedded. I have seen many wood/laminate stocks that were cracked because they were not bedded. It is a requirement for me personally, and it's not just the boyds. I though't I saw a recommendation on their site to bed their stocks, but not sure....if they don't they really should state it, because if they are on anything with significant recoil, they WILL crack if not bedded. Here is a thread I posted on it, actually.

Was it full length pillar bedded? I won't shoot any wood stocked gun, including solid walnut, until they are bedded. I have seen many wood/laminate stocks that were cracked because they were not bedded. It is a requirement for me personally, and it's not just the boyds. I though't I saw a recommendation on their site to bed their stocks, but not sure....if they don't they really should state it, because if they are on anything with significant recoil, they WILL crack if not bedded. Here is a thread I posted on it, actually.

I actually did bed the gun and added pillars. The funny part was the bedding voided their warranty. The other funny part was the recoil lug area was fine. Notice the crack behind the rear Tang(slightly hard to see).20200319_212133.jpg20200319_212113.jpg20200319_212142.jpg

Deputy, I have never shot a thumb hole stock, never handled one. I know, my loss. at this point I am not downing them, I am not really having an opinion about them. I do have interest in shooting one just because I want to know how they shoot and if the ergo's are good for me. I just shot my first McMillan A-4/A-5 stock. I found it a bit too thick in several areas/ways. the grip needs to get whittled down for my hands, the grip needs to go forward for my shorter fingers and I told McMillan about it. Will they listen.. very doubtful. I have thought about ordering a Boyds Feather weight Thumbhole stock just to see. I have a 270 WSM that has an ugly plastic stock.
I have tried other thumbhole stocks that I did not like. The Browning and Ruger target were not ergonomic , to small for my hands. Mine are Boyd's and have no problems, the 270 win has little to no recoil. The other ones are 22-250 and 17 HMR so no recoil.Hope this helps.

I actually did bed the gun and added pillars. The funny part was the bedding voided their warranty. The other funny part was the recoil lug area was fine. Notice the crack behind the rear Tang(slightly hard to see).View attachment 182612View attachment 182613View attachment 182615
Looks like a Savage. I have found that pillar bedding is the best and once pillars and action are bedded tight, to open the action screw holes slightly so there is absolutely no contact around the screws. This ensures that all recoil forces are transferred to the recoil lug area.

I have a Fajen thumbhole on my 308. I originally bought it for silhouette shooting but then found out beyond our club I couldn't use it. Since then the rifle was in and out of several stocks. A3-5's I like the shape but my hands are too small for good trigger orientation. put it back in the thumbhole and left it sitting for along time. I decided to try prs with it so I added lead to make it balance better on the bipod and closer to the center of the forearm. Added seekins dbm for acis mags and now I cannot think of going to a chassis. The fit for me is perfect.
As far as slow bolt response goes that's a bunch of BS.
The target below was a student of mine. He didn't hit a single diamond center on this target. Using the app Splits on my phone I hit the centers in 18.xx seconds which is a good run for me. 200yds is the distance, I've owned the rifle/stock since late 80's and have run this drill since I got out of the service in 85

Attachments

• dot drill.jpg
    dot drill.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 308 profile.jpg
    308 profile.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 97
Looks like a Savage. I have found that pillar bedding is the best and once pillars and action are bedded tight, to open the action screw holes slightly so there is absolutely no contact around the screws. This ensures that all recoil forces are transferred to the recoil lug area.

I'll remember that info for the future, so TY for sharing.
What bothered me the most was the 6" crack radiating behind the rear tang.
The previous Boyd's stock had the entire chunk between the lug and mag well break free. Now I uso a BC stock with an aluminum bedding block. Added Devcon and life is good.

I'll remember that info for the future, so TY for sharing.
What bothered me the most was the 6" crack radiating behind the rear tang.
The previous Boyd's stock had the entire chunk between the lug and mag well break free. Now I uso a BC stock with an aluminum bedding block. Added Devcon and life is good.
Bought a Savage 300 win mag in a Boyd's thumb hole stock. Was already cracked when I bought it and it only had 150 rounds through it. Pried the crack open and drizzled some thin "super glue" in it and clamped it. Pillar and bedded action. Ensured clearance around action screws. No problems since.

It depends on the technique you use to support and fire the rifle I don't grip with the firing hand, just apply a little pressure back on the grip. You could jerk the rifle out from under me as I don't use muscle to support the weapon. The wider grip allows a nice area to apply that slight pressure.
just preference. I don't like thumbhole stocks.

I have tried other thumbhole stocks that I did not like. The Browning and Ruger target were not ergonomic , to small for my hands. Mine are Boyd's and have no problems, the 270 win has little to no recoil. The other ones are 22-250 and 17 HMR so no recoil.Hope this helps.
good to know. I also have a few 270's, one is begging for a new stock.

Wolf 76 and Cody Adams. something just do not track here. I have used Boyds stocks for nearly 19 years now. on everything from rimfire rifles to 458 Win Mag Winchester "Big 5" model 70. Oh, I can not forget the 505 Gibb's Magnum I restocked for a friend. Not once has any of the 60 stocks I have used from Boyds has ever failed in that way. I have had to glass-bed the stocks occasionally for accuracy or when the customer requested the action be bedded to the stock. as for pillars. I have yet to need to pillar any Boyd's stock except for the aforementioned 458. it was a solid figured walnut. That stock begged to be glass bedded. I personally have a "big 5" rifle without bedding in the stock. it has had hundreds of rounds through it. no cracks, no stresses, nothing but a great shooting 375 H&H.
I have to say that the cracking of a laminated stock means the laminate that Boyd's got in that shipment was inferior.
As for no stock should go unbedded, I will have to stay neutral. I know what bedding does for the stock and the action, but sometimes it is just not needed. fiber-glass stocks and other synthetic stocks must be glassed in per the Manufacturers requirements to make the best fit for your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.