Thumbhole stocks

I liked Boyd's until it split for the second time. Then they wouldn't replace it. I'm permanently done with them. Funny thing is I need a longer LOP and always order aftermarket stocks, but they will get none of that business. Even politely told the CS rep that but if info, which had no immediate effect.
Were you using a lead sled when it failed? Also, how on earth does the action screw hole fail to the rear, but the recoil lug area is fine. They should be tied together???

Wolf 76 and Cody Adams. something just do not track here. I have used Boyds stocks for nearly 19 years now. on everything from rimfire rifles to 458 Win Mag Winchester "Big 5" model 70. Oh, I can not forget the 505 Gibb's Magnum I restocked for a friend. Not once has any of the 60 stocks I have used from Boyds has ever failed in that way. I have had to glass-bed the stocks occasionally for accuracy or when the customer requested the action be bedded to the stock. as for pillars. I have yet to need to pillar any Boyd's stock except for the aforementioned 458. it was a solid figured walnut. That stock begged to be glass bedded. I personally have a "big 5" rifle without bedding in the stock. it has had hundreds of rounds through it. no cracks, no stresses, nothing but a great shooting 375 H&H.
I have to say that the cracking of a laminated stock means the laminate that Boyd's got in that shipment was inferior.
As for no stock should go unbedded, I will have to stay neutral. I know what bedding does for the stock and the action, but sometimes it is just not needed. fiber-glass stocks and other synthetic stocks must be glassed in per the Manufacturers requirements to make the best fit for your rifle.
You must be lucky, I have personally seen 6 that were cracked, many more on social media, but take that one for what it is worth.....not all were boyds, 3 were factory ruger rifles, and two of them the action had never been removed from the stock, 1 of which was a walnut stock. My friends wanted them bedded because they were not shooting well. Took them out, and the stock was cracked. One cost me an elk, thankfully I didn't wound it but instead totally missed. To quote from my post -

"They were in the following calibers - 30-06, my personal rifle with around 75 rounds fired, a 7mm-08 (solid walnut stock), and 6.5 Creedmoor with around 150 rounds fired. Notice that these are not necessarily heavy recoiling rounds.....Another was a Savage 11 chambered in .308 with a Boyds replacement stock, the Boyds had roughly 50 rounds through it, another was a Remington 700 with the factory laminated stock chambered in .308, and the last one was a Remington 700 chambered in 7mm rem mag with a Stocky's laminated stock."

I'm glad you have not had any issues, I am not so lucky. Not sure what you do differently.....I still will use boyds stocks, I have no issue with them, I just pillar bed every one of them now. I will still stand by my statements however....

Last edited:
Were you using a lead sled when it failed? Also, how on earth does the action screw hole fail to the rear, but the recoil lug area is fine. They should be tied together???

I don't use a sled. Bags for me.
I do own a sled, but not the big one. I have a solo with no weight and feet that have been replaced with slick plastic.
To be completely fair, Richards microfit stock totally crapped out twice.
Had a laminate for my encore crack as well (not sure of the manufacturer).
Only full aluminum bedding blocks for me moving forward.

As to your original point- I thought the lug and rear tang were in unison. Seems like they should have both failed- but you can see the pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts