Thumbhole stocks on mag rifles

land308

I'm considering a boyds thumbhole varminter for my remington 700 in 300 win mag. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the boyds stocks in general. I am also wondering how well do thumbhole stocks hold up to recoil and to falls while hiking. Every now and again I take a pretty good fall and bang my rifle up pretty good. Would a thumbhole stoke hold togeather? Thanks for any input.

I have several boyd laminated thumbhole stocks on my rifles and they hold up fine to recoil. As for the falls I would think that they are just as good or better than a regular woodstocked rifle.

Just my .02 cents

I have one on a 7mm rem mag and it has held up just fine. I had it glass bedded and it shoots great.

I have Fajen thumb hole on a mauser 270.

I had it slinged on my shoulder and tripped in the lava rocks. The rifle ended up keeping from falling into a large crack in the lava. The barrel, scope and stock got dinged really good. It wore the scars for years. The very next shot accounted for a rock chuck at about 250 yards.

I'd venture to say that the thumb hole is stronger that the standard sporter for structural integrity.

The other great feature is straight back recoil if designed w/no drop at heal which helps to spot the shot...

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm going to get one of the boyds VIP unfinished laminate stocks. The price is right. I'll finish it and then learn how to bed it properly.

I got the unfinished stock when i did mine and my gunshop included the finishing coat when I took it to them to get it bedded. It looks really good.

I have an hs precision thumbhole stock on a 25-06 and like it.

I have a boyd stocked xr-100 22-250 -the raised cheekpiece on the boyds make for the most comfortable stock that i've used.
When you lay your cheek on the stock you're looking down the center of the scope -not so w/an hs precision.

A boyds w/ one of the hi-viz recoil pads would be very nice indeed.

side note to land 308 -stop running down the mountains -you could fall .

Shooting off the bench, I really like thumbhole stocks, but for hunting, they don't handle as well as a conventional stock for me. To bring one up without taking my eye off the game, I have to fiddle with it trying to get my hand in the right place and get my thumb into the hole. It's distracting, and has made me look down when I didn't want to. Also, it's usually awkward or uncomfortable for me to keep my hand and thumb in place on the stock while walking (or even sitting).

I have had several thumbholes, but haven't kept any of them. There is one other observation; straight comb stocks on hard kicking guns make my cheekbone sore. Stocks with Monte Carlo cheekpieces don't. I had a thumbhole stock that had a Monte Carlo cheekpiece on it that was maybe the most comfortable stock to shoot that I ever had, but didn't work for me on a hunting rifle.

My opinion, (confused by age and experience) Tom

Here is my 300WM in a Boyd's Varminter Thumbhole....took alot of the recoil away after a Limbsaver pad, compared to the factory BDL stock it is wonderful.

Sorry about the burlap....just seeing if it actually took any signature away from the scope.

Joe Oakes

100_1687.jpg

300WM1.jpg

Hmmmm if you give it a lot of abuse try dropping it in an AI Chassis. Have owned several rifles as well as Chassis Systems from them and they are first rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.