Thumbhole stocks on mag rifles

Thumbhole stocks

As for as strength I would think they were just as strong.

They do feel good shooting offhand or from a bench.

But as Specweldtom said when hunting I find them awkward with
gloves on.

But there are some brands of stocks that have a duel grip style
that addresses each style."NEET"

I think Richards Microfit is one of them.

I have had good luck with the Boyd's stock with the VIP inletting

Good Luck
J E CUSTOM

I've never shot a thumbhole stock so I'm only relating info I've heard from others;
Pro, the thumbhole stock alows your hand to take some of the recoil.
Con, a thumbhole makes it more difficult to operate the bolt quickly (if that's a concern).

I sure do like the feel of every one I have ever handled. They put my hand in a more comfortable position than a standard pistol grip stock. I fully plan on putting one on one of my guns in the future.

Lh Boyd's Stock

I bought a LH Boyd's stock for my Encore about a year ago. I found that the stock absorbed some of the recoil in my hand(taking some off my shoulder). The stock also increased my accuracy off the bench, and made me a better shooter off hand. I have since switched several other stocks over to thumbhole style. The stock's seem to be stronger than a regular stock. I also believe the stock has helped my hunting accuracy. One of my rifle's has a slightly less beefy grip, and it can be shot with your thumb in the hole-or not. It can also be shot off handed and it is not uncomfortable. Tom.

IMG_0316.jpg

Hanger

The barrel on that Encore is a 28 inch MGM 6.5X284 heavy barrel(necked at .292). I did not use a hanger bar. I filled in the entire barrel channel on the stock with barrel bedding. I then took a piece of copper pipe and sanded out the channel to float the stock. I then added thick rubber washer's and extended screws to keep the stock off the barrel.

The next one I do I am going to bed it solid and give that a try. Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.