Thumbhole stocks

Depending on the style, some don't lend themselves to being ambidextrous, if that matters to you. I'm left handed and my cousin has a rh boyds thumbhole, and while I can shoot it well, it's not comfortable at all.

Depending on your shooting style, they may force too much contact with the rifle. When I shoot prone, my hand is barely on the side of the grip. But, if you hunt timber or thicker cover where close/quick shots may happen, they are tops in my opinion for off hand work.

I'm not a fan. They aren't comfortable and I think they are ugly. Doesn't mean they can't or won't work. Just not my preference.

Whats the pros and cons to thumbhole stocks

I had one thumbhole stock - I didn't notice a difference in recoil, but I see how it could with a heavy hitting caliber like a 300 rum or something. I didn't like how it looked and my 12 year old shoots left handed, so I got rid of it. No regrets for me.

Not a fan. Several friends have them and really like them. Trigger acquisition is more difficult for some on the thumbhole. Most thumbhole stocks are laminate with few other choices.

I've shifted to a few manners eh5s and love them. Great looking and feel solid when holding them
365F96EA-434F-453E-A8C7-112786F41CE7.jpeg

Like others said, I think I have better control off hand shooting.....I'm a lefty, so they're not my favorite because no rightys can shoot em. I did put together this ampidextrious thumb hole on a youth stock for the following reasons. It seems to be easier for them to hold with weaker arm strength, they say it doesn't kick as bad, and it's easier for short fingers to securely hold the grip and still reach the trigger. With your wrist vertical, I think you can support more of the gun weight closer to your body, and use the other arm to "steer" the barrel rather than support. For prone shooting I prefer a palm swell. Also with a vertical grip which some thumb holes provide, may be easier to get a straight pull on the trigger. I guess to me it's just more about what feels good for your shooting style.

Attachments

• 20200106_171028.jpg
    20200106_171028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 546
Shoot one and see if you like them. My hunting partner is getting a custom built and wanted to try some of my rifles to see what he liked. Couple shots with the eh5 and he ordered one. Another buddy doesn't like palm swells and prefers very small skinny stocks.

I have a lefthanded Boyd's Featherweight Varmint Thumbhole for a Howa M1500 in .223Rem. I work the bolt with my right hand; my left hand never leaves the grip. It's a very comfortable stock for me to use. I don't think they're made anymore. I remember when I ordered it (Winter 2011) that the webpage indicated there was just this last one to purchase. It's too bad because they're really nice...

EDIT: Turns out Boyd's still makes the lefty thumbhole for Howa M1500 short action. Price is $147 from their website. I think I paid $137 for mine almost nine years ago. I'll hazard the guess if the M1500 stock is still made, pretty much every stock they made in 2011 is still made today.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Attachments

• LH Rem M700.JPG
    LH Rem M700.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 397
  • LH Howa SA M1500.JPG
    LH Howa SA M1500.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 360
  • Howa M1500 in TH stock left side.JPG
    Howa M1500 in TH stock left side.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Howa M1500 in TH stock right side.JPG
    Howa M1500 in TH stock right side.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.