This Should Make Some Heads Spin

"The flattest cartridge ever"

Seems like clickbait to me.

We all know cartridges are round anyway,

I prefer curves myself.

I would rather read comments on this forum than waste my time watching some shill try to get 'views' with 'hype'.

Thats all I have to say... And I think @AZShooter said it better in post #12

What? Wait! No 25-06! Come on, man!
A 25-06 with 75 gr. bullet easily beats the 220 swift.
Spomer should have put this line in the mix:

Cartridge Bullet/BC MV Drop Yd 600
25-06 75-gr./.290 BC 3700 61"

Thanks, ButterBean. Gave me something to stew over with my morning coffee.
You know the only thing half as crazy as a Needmoor fav is a 25-06 fan. 🙃
It's what I do best Brother

I like em both. Both great cartridges, but I think it depends on its use. I don't believe one is better than the other in everything 270 mayne be better in some instances and not so much in others. Really gonna boil down to what your using it for
I hear what your saying and I know you probably haven't seen that I have made an offer several times here over the Needmoor mostly to come to my place they can pick the gun they want me too shoot and I'll let them set the gong wherever they want( Up to a mile), no rangefinder, no kestrel and no ballistic app's, and see who's first on target, Now my whole point of this is to show no matter how good the Needmoor is on paper it's only as good as good as the shooter, and before everyone goes crazy, yes I have and use a rangefinder, I'm dont use a Kestral and I do use ballistic apps, I really just put this up as I was really supprised as much money as Mr. Spomer has made promoting the Needmoor that he even put this on YouTube

I hear what your saying and I know you probably haven't seen that I have made an offer several times here over the Needmoor mostly to come to my place they can pick the gun they want me too shoot and I'll let them set the gong wherever they want( Up to a mile), no rangefinder, no kestrel and no ballistic app's, and see who's first on target, Now my whole point of this is to show no matter how good the Needmoor is on paper it's only as good as good as the shooter, and before everyone goes crazy, yes I have and use a rangefinder, I'm dont use a Kestral and I do use ballistic apps, I really just put this up as I was really supprised as much money as Mr. Spomer has made promoting the Needmoor that he even put this on YouTube

Oh For sure. The Creedmoor filled a spot. Basically a good replacement for the 308's the .mil Is and had been using. Didn't fill All the spots but it slide in that one pretty good.

When hunting, use what works for you...based on experience. If you don't have the experience, do a lot of reading and employ common sense. High BC is important to maintain velocity. Velocity squared times bullet weight gives you foot-pounds of energy. Speed and weight at the time of impact is what counts. But, of course, bullet construction is important too. If you shoot only one gun, and do it a lot you will "learn" your gun and caliber and have the potential to be a better game getter than the fellow who shoots many different guns at different ranges with different loads. On the other hand, he who shoots a lot may have more fun. Depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. Punching paper is a good exercise but so is hunting. Be realistic and define your mission and work to accomplish that.

When hunting, use what works for you...based on experience. If you don't have the experience, do a lot of reading and employ common sense. High BC is important to maintain velocity. Velocity squared times bullet weight gives you foot-pounds of energy. Speed and weight at the time of impact Shot placement and bullet performance is what counts. But, of course, bullet construction is important too. If you shoot only one gun, and do it a lot you will "learn" your gun and caliber and have the potential to be a better game getter than the fellow who shoots many different guns at different ranges with different loads. On the other hand, he who shoots a lot may have more fun. Depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. Punching paper is a good exercise but so is hunting. Be realistic and define your mission and work to accomplish that.
Fixed it for ya, 😉

A little different way to look at what Ron was trying to convey R=D/T (R is muzzle velocity) which yields drop at a given distance as it relates to G=9.8m/s^2
Personally I find the following to be a more germane snapshot comparison of hunting potential of a given load at a given distance.
EK= 1/2m*v^2
A change in velocity has a 2-1/2 times more contribution to Kinetic Energy than a change in mass. However, velocity decays at a predictable rate based off aerodynamic resistance (BC) of the given projectile. Greater mass CAN allow for forming of a more aerodynamic shape which loses velocity at a slower rate and therefor covers a larger distance for a given time than a projectile with a less aerodynamic shape, even if holds the same mass.

It's not the Gospel, I was just glad to see as big of a Needmoor supporter that he is that he actually shows the 270 being better, @HARPERC, I'm not a real big fan of his either but as I said it was PO Ackleys book that drove me to turn everything into a Swift with the Mule being the king of the hill right now ;)
Come on now...what about .223 WSSM! Faster yet!

It's not the Gospel, I was just glad to see as big of a Needmoor supporter that he is that he actually shows the 270 being better, @HARPERC, I'm not a real big fan of his either but as I said it was PO Ackleys book that drove me to turn everything into a Swift with the Mule being the king of the hill right now ;)
Well done Bean! But I like those 750 gr. ATIPs.....swift vs 50 (750gr)......kinda reminds me of the young bull and the old bull talking somehow!

Last edited: