This Should Make Some Heads Spin

45623248-26E1-45E0-A1FF-CF7A931B75D2.gif

When hunting, use what works for you...based on experience. If you don't have the experience, do a lot of reading and employ common sense. High BC is important to maintain velocity. Velocity squared times bullet weight gives you foot-pounds of energy. Speed and weight at the time of impact is what counts. But, of course, bullet construction is important too. If you shoot only one gun, and do it a lot you will "learn" your gun and caliber and have the potential to be a better game getter than the fellow who shoots many different guns at different ranges with different loads. On the other hand, he who shoots a lot may have more fun. Depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. Punching paper is a good exercise but so is hunting. Be realistic and define your mission and work to accomplish that.
Yep! Here's a quick comparison, same velocity, and weight but different BCs.

.257 WBTY 117 AH vs Cayuga 1 of 2.JPG

.257 WBTY 117 AH vs Cayuga 2 of 2.JPG

(NOTE: Source of bullet used was from bullet manufacturer's website).

Just something to ponder ...

It's not the Gospel, I was just glad to see as big of a Needmoor supporter that he is that he actually shows the 270 being better, @HARPERC, I'm not a real big fan of his either but as I said it was PO Ackleys book that drove me to turn everything into a Swift with the Mule being the king of the hill right now ;)

I generally have a tough time with Spomer, this was one of his better efforts.

Define the distance. Too often we're allowing others to do this for us.

Culling feral horses, he could have led with that.

Bean what is it with you and black cars lately?
I didn't take it as Spomer being your source of Swift efficacy, I only meant it wouldn't surprise me to see his next video proclaiming the 6.5 Creedmoor as the bestest (used to make a point) ever made. Or was that the last one he made-the guys all over the map.

I read Ackley until my copies fell apart. Lost them in one move or the other.

Where Spomer was correct this time was define the distance. At a certain distance the semi-auto 10mm becomes a great choice, past that is a point of diminishing returns.

Improvement in bullet technology has brought me more to the side of hyper velocity.

Experiences at the time I read those Swift stories, had me in hip boots chasing elk in rainforest. .375's, and Whelen's made more sense.

Of course in the rain, and minimal light maybe the dark colored cars just look black.

I used to be all crazy about bullet drop. Once it sunk in that it's a repeatable and therefore predictable thing I just look for good B.C. and speed to beat the wind. I go for the heavier bullets in almost everything I shoot.