What should we make next?

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think you guys should concentrate on decreasing your turnaround time on your existing products. Don't get me wrong, these sound like great ideas. But I'd be much more pleased if I could get a barrel from you in say.....half of the current wait. I think two months is a reasonable turnaround.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think you guys should concentrate on decreasing your turnaround time on your existing products. Don't get me wrong, these sound like great ideas. But I'd be much more pleased if I could get a barrel from you in say.....half of the current wait. I think two months is a reasonable turnaround.

+1

And the Savage drop-ins, I want my cake and eat it too

Not to pick on the savage guys but lots of barrel makers make dropins for them, and a lot
of people make after market barrels in many calibers for the AR 15 ,But no one like krieger
makes a good barrel for the M1A .

And there would be a huge market for the M1A barrels because there are none available
and there are a lot of M1As out there.

Sorry guys the devil made me do it .

J E CUSTOM

Savage drop-in gets my vote. I'm working on burning up a 270 WSM factory barrel and have started to look for the next one.
I can see that once I get the barrel swapping down that I will need a 6.5 WSM and a 300 WSM.

Savage prefits with match chambers (tight neck optional).
Id be happy to try your first one out in maybe 1-9 twist 284 with a .312 neck,throated for 175 SMKs with a 4 degree leade. (30" large shank,LRPV contour).:D:D

Last edited:
Unlike others I would wait as long as it took to get a M1A/M14 barrel from you guys.

Nothing fancy just a 260rem or a 7/08rem.

J E CUSTOM

"There is tolerance in the major and minor diameters of the thread. Those need to be acounted for when making a drop in barrel. You need to make a drop in barrel able to fit the tightest receiver thread allowed by the factory tolerance. This means it will fit 70% of the guns loosely"

Ok so drop in barrels would be popular but the above comment rules them out. So why not got to the next level and sell your barrels with pre fitted actions? Shooters could then select there own stock, mounts etc to their own requirements.

This way you could ensure quality control and precision fit of barrel to action. You could do a deal whth an existing action maker or go to the next step again and design your own action. I am sure you would get good support from the shooting public.

I would love to see a 243wssm barrel for an AR15, drop in replacement. I realize that the magazine lips would have to be changed for a single stack configuration and use the 300 bolt but I think it would be a great rifle in at least a 20" length. Maybe a 24". I have one of your barrels in .308 on a Mauser 98 action and just love it. Thanks

Savage actions have a way of overcoming slight looseness in tolerance by design. As it has been stated before, several companies have taken advantage of the "drop in market" providing excellent performance with minimal effort in the factory Savage action. I see no reason a Krieger drop in wouldn't do the same.

Hi all, As we are always looking for new products to come out with, it is sometimes hard to have the time to develop new products, test, evaluate, and release to the public in a timely manner. We would like to concentrate on one or two new things at a time so the R&D doesn't become overwhelming. Some of the barrels we are considering are...

.20 caliber AR-15 barrels. These would most likely be done in our "Varmatch" tm style barrel only, in .920" or .812" muzzle diameters, up to 26" length. We have not made production runs of these as of yet because of one reason. The gas port. A Krieger Barrels "Gas Gun" has always had the gas port in a groove, not to encroach on the edge of a land at all. The issue is, we make our .20 cal barrels with 6 grooves & lands making the groove width around .060"...the gas port is .093". You see the dilema. We have made a few of these for testing and had really good results with accuracy, but the gas port cuts a (and sometimes both) groove(s). Does this matter? It seems not to, but it's been the way we have always made them. We would only make these with the understanding that there is no way the port could be solely in a groove.

"Drop in" barrels for Savage rifles. This seems to be our current biggest request. We do not currently do this, again, because of our belief of the way a barrel should be fitted. We do not offer any pre-threaded barrels for bolt guns for the simple reason of tolerance stacking. Say a rifle is manufactured with a 1-1/16" x 18tpi thread, That is not the whole story on this thread. There is tolerance in the major and minor diameters of the thread. Those need to be acounted for when making a drop in barrel. You need to make a drop in barrel able to fit the tightest receiver thread allowed by the factory tolerance. This means it will fit 70% of the guns loosely. To us, that is not an acceptable fitting for a premium accurate rifle. We are certainly capable of making a drop in barrel for the Savage, but do we compromise our standards on the quality of fitting to make these available?

AR-15 Carbines with the short gas system and 16.5" finish length. We used to make these, but they were never big sellers for us as most of our clients are precision marsmen, competitive shooters, varmint hunters, etc. The carbines are more popular with 3-Gun competitors, but you generally do not need the accuracy (and related cost) of a Krieger Barrel for this. However, with the current political climate, we are seeing more requests for these barrels again.

Drop in 10-22 barrels. These we would most likely do in only a .920" diameter straight, 1-16 twist, chambered for .22LR, Stainless Steel, 18". The WMRF should have a bolt of a different weight and we would not move enough of those to make a production size run of the chambering. The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire also should use a different bore & groove dimension than the standard rimfire round, so this would be a completely different product.

Anytihing else you are looking for, please post up and let us know. We are always open to new ideas.

Thank you!

**I think without a second thought it should be a series of drop in Savage barrels. Start out with something like a National Match .308 and the samething in .223.

**In AR's, everybody sells tons of 22 centerfire barrels, but a few years back there was a couple that did 6x45 barrels. I bought one of them, and loved it

**Seems like everybody does 10-22 stuff, but I'd look elsewhere to open new markets. There are thousands of Remington 541's out there, and one of these with a 52D chamber would surely sell well. There are even more savage and Marlins out there (bolt action) that guys shoot all the time. Let all the others fight over the 10-22 stuff while you build a killer combo out of a 541 Remington that will simply shoot rings around the best 10-22 on the planet. To this day I cannot believe that Lilja has not jumped onto the 541's
gary

They asked that question 3 years ago. They must have made the right choice because they are 6 months behind on making barrels.