This is CRAZY...

My local reloading supplier had CCI small rifle primers for $95/1000. I thought they were gouging. The owner said he buys from any wholesaler that has something and at much higher costs. Buying direct from the manufacturer is almost impossible for a small shop. I understand he can't sell components at last year's prices, he'd be out of business in a week.

my go to LGS is 9.50 for 100 of CCI 450. at this point i'm not even asking. now once they jump above that, well i guess i'm SOL.

though his powder prices have crept up a bit; still cheaper than what most places are selling online.

but i have no problem paying 10-15 more than what i can find online from say powder valley. saves me shipping and waiting.

but some of the not so popular powders, 1200r, RL10x he has. actually i'm on track to buy out his supply of 20# of 1200r cause no one else uses it lol.

I have been very fortunate in getting reloading supplies. My favorite gunshop (50 miles away from where I live) has powder (not as much as normal) and gets primers in on a semi regular basis. To make it fair for everyone, they limit primers to only 200 at a time and only 1 pound of powder. They are making sure to help everyone as much as possible and there prices on primers just went up due to supply to an outrageous 5.50! Can you believe the brazen audacity of charging such an amount? (Big smile on my face.) Powder is up to 29-32 dollars a pound. These guys are old time gun shop people and they always have folks in the shop. Treat people right and they will remember. Be well all!

I just bought a pound of CFE Black, and 2# of Titegroup on Saturday for $25/#, and 16# of RL-50 for $396 out the door at my local Sporting Clays Range. Last month a brick of Win 209 primers was $37. Back in November I bought 24# of powder from a guy in Oregon. THEN we both found out that it couldn't be shipped unless it went through a certified HazMat shipper.

I am set for the next few years with the exception of 17 HMR A17 ammo. I used to buy shot (shotgun) 2,000# at a time and would buy wads by the case. I've slowed down shotgun shooting but just because I moved and the places to shoot aren't here like they were there.

If people had firearms back in 2008, they should have seen the writing on the wall and slowly stocked up when supplies were available.

No way will I pay the outlandish prices. Realistically, having more than a couple hundred rounds on hand for any one firearm is a want and not a need, so if someone wants to pay the out of sight prices, then they "want to", not "need to".

Realistically, having more than a couple hundred rounds on hand for any one firearm is a want and not a need,
I pray you're correct.
The Scout motto... "be prepared"...and I'm not a prepper... has anyone seen 'things' in the USA quite like this? I'm not looking at just ammo.

I'm finding it hard to believe things will get back to ' normal'...I'm out of this thread, can't sleep as it is.

Last edited:
When I see 5.56x45 NATO, 9mm ammo, and 7.62x39 by the thousands available for $1.25- $.58 cents a round and in stock at Outdoor Limited I just have to laugh at giving a guy at a gun show, or on GB .18-.425 cents for a single primer!

I'll call it as I see it and anyone charging .18 cents-.425 cents on a .05 cent primer is price gouging in most people's book! I'll stick to fair trading for what I may need to help someone out. Drug dealers don't even make those kind of margins!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.