300 RUM Crazy Brass Issue!

durak

I've been shooting my 300 RUM with the 230 Hybrids for a good year or so - My last count was nearly 400 of them down range. The load has always consisted of Remmy brass, GM215 primers, 86.1 gr of H1000, COAL of 3.770 = 3060fps all day.

I just loaded a 100 more but used Nosler brass and I've lost nearly 150FPS! I averaged 2900fps across the same chrono. Have I lost my mind or is this normal between the two different brass?

If you measure the case capacity between the 2, I bet the Nosler brass will have more capacity than the Remington brass. This will cause your velocity difference.
BTW, don't try hot loads in yoyr Nosler brass, it won't last very long if you do.

Cheers.
gun)

If you measure the case capacity between the 2, I bet the Nosler brass will have more capacity than the Remington brass. This will cause your velocity difference.
BTW, don't try hot loads in yoyr Nosler brass, it won't last very long if you do.

Cheers.
gun)

Does that mean the Nosler brass could take more powder charge to make up for the capacity? This load with the Remmy brass was good for at least 6 reloads.

Should I up the charge to make up the velocity difference?

Yes brass matters, different capacities. My pet load has to be downloaded .5-.8gr (30-06) between two brass brands I run it in.

As always build back up when you switch components (or component lots).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.