Hornady OAL Gauge is Driving me Crazy(er)!

I also find that the Horandy anvil is more of a hindrance than a tool to be used, hence mine is regulated to the digital dial calipers case exclusively.

I altered my Anvil with a piece of aluminum and crazy glue so it is a tighter fit on my caliper beam and aligns properly with the comparator.

1606839580135.png
1606839704472.png
1606839670563.png

I quit using mine years ago for the same reason I would take 10 measurements and come up with an average number and it would be close enough and work OK but I've since moved on and either use Alex wheelers stripped bolt method which two people can do and come up with the exact same number or seat a bullet long color it with a sharpie chamber it you'll see Marks from the rifling seat the bullet .001 of an inch deeper color the bullet again with a black sharpie and repeat this process until you have no marks from the rifling + .001 is your touch measurement and it is completely repeatable as well
This is what I have done for years and it worked out good. I bought a Hornady AOL gauge a couple years ago because I thought I needed a new tool. I do get consistent readings ( + or - .001").

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.