new idea is it crazy?

buckyne

It is the time of year where there is nothing to do outside. Have been spending some time organizing the reloading supplies in preparation of loading some ammo. I won't be testing it till it is warmer outside. Here is my Q. How do I simulate the temperature conditions of mid to late november when I am testing my loads in say June. I shot at at friends uncles place and we don't go out there till it is nice. So I can't shoot when it is cold outside.

Has anyone ever taken their reloads to the test in a lunch koozie or cooler with the reloads on ice? Just trying to see if this idea I had was crazy or not. I tried to search on the forum and did not find anything. Probably not using the search feature correctly? Or maybe my idea is just not a good one.

If anyone has done this can you give me any pointers.

Thanks
Chad

Nothing wrong with that. People do it all the time. It is a great way to see how stable your powder is and show how your load is going to behave in a range of temps.

For real world results you need to find someplace to shoot when its cold. Some things just can't be simulated, too many variables.

Get a cooler large enough for the rifle too

Now that's funny. Brings back memories. My younger brother used to test out new shotguns for his duck hunts by loading them up spritzing with water and then sticking them in our old chest freezer until it was good and frozen. Middle of the summer and you'd see him standing by the freezer with gloves on garage doors open with path clear to grab the shotgun out of the freezer and dash outside to see if it cycled when cold. :) I think he started this the summer after he thought trying to dunk a basketball on our outdoor court while covered in ice was a great idea. His head bounced every bit as good as the ball. Nothing like seeing the whole family laughing in the ER with him asking, "Did I make the dunk?".

Ok well, as one of the comments mentioned you aren't going to see everything that happens to your rifle when it is cold but you can test one variable which is better than nothing. Best case it won't hurt a thing and you might just learn a little something about your loads.

Why not find a shooting range or alternative site to shoot now?

Seems like the perfect time to see how your loads perform in the cold. Then come summer you can find out how the same loads work in warm weather.

air density will still be different even if you ice down the rounds and the rifle. so if your planning to try to sim longer ranges then your results will not match.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.