Wildcat idea.. 308-416 can it be done?

blomqvistjs

Was looking for 300 blackout. But in Finland i have only found One modell ThAt is ruger American 700€

Another path is to have a shop do some work on a 222rem
The work will be around 500euro and a rifle 300€

Not ThAt many who use 222 here anymore alot have been
Converted to 6.5x55 the Most used caliber is 308
And brass is cheap and found in 4 digital numbers
For Free.

started thinking cut the neck of 308win then you have a Case wo neck 39mm and maby fit a 416 rigby bullet lapua Case inside is 10.5-10.55mm rigby bullet 10.6
This would make å Nice suppressed round i think
But why have it not been done if its possible?

Hmm am i dreaming about 416whisper cant find anything about it but from my understanding its based on 7br ThAt is in its turn based on 308 so ??? Where can i get some info about ThAt round

The main problem with this wildcat is that after the chamber was reamed it would only leave .019" of shoulder. Maybe this would not be a problem, and if not, then the only holdup would be the expense of the custom chamber reamer and custom made to order reloading dies, but that has been done by wildcatters since almost the advent of the metallic cartridge.

After reading and using Google 416whisper isnt what om looking for. I really want to use 308.
Cost of making the chamber would not be a problem or chamber. the q is if its possible in teory a 308 fullsizer die could form it and leave enough tension or abit to much to hold the bullet in Place

No a 308Wiin die would not work for a 416/308 wildcat. You would have to have custom dies made for that wildcat cartridge. I have priced custom dies made to order and if I remember correctly they were $200-$300, but that has been quite a while and I may not remember right. If you are headset on using a 308Win case, why not open the neck to .375", as there is a lot more shoulder area left for headspacing and you could shoot lighter weight bullets which would give better velocity from the limited 308 case.

I'm not so sure it won't work.

I can cut the case and check it out. The key is case wall thickness. It has to be .0175

Another idea would be to neck out the Case without cutting it down but i think ThAt would give Me to Big Case capacity.
375 Can be a idea im looking for a subsonic only is there a subsonic round ThAt can do 2000jouls at 100m do you think the heavy 416 bullet will get Me to those energy numbers if shot subsonic from a 308case

This would make å Nice suppressed round i think
But why have it not been done if its possible?

Anything is possible, and probably has been done, maybe not publicly documented.

Personally, if I could , I would. I'm a fan of the .416 caliber.

Here we need to have individual licenses issued by the police for every hair on our *rses, the sheer amount of paperwork , many months of time and procedure involved makes it an unattractive exercise to have such a conversion done.

It would be a lot of fun to do it though.

Another idea would be to neck out the Case without cutting it down but i think ThAt would give Me to Big Case capacity.
375 Can be a idea im looking for a subsonic only is there a subsonic round ThAt can do 2000jouls at 100m do you think the heavy 416 bullet will get Me to those energy numbers if shot subsonic from a 308case

No 375 or 416 will give you that energy at 100m

Why is that an important number?

Herr its not ThAt impossible. Licenser parts are Bolt, reciver and barrel. And offc all ammo is registret and you can only store 2kg of powder at home. If you loud your own you need Gun licens to buy powder amd primer. Basicli i can search for a. New Gun licens and have my 308rig rebuilt or do it at home. For own use you can build your Gun from scratch and get å permmit for it. The joul numbers is the lowest numbers to hunt elk.a heavy bullet in 416 would probably give some high energy but how high

To understand if it's possible, look at what is being done with the 44 magnum .

Stout 44 Magnum hunting loads are 300 grains at 1200 fps from a revolver, more or less. A rifle in 44 mag can go higher, of course.

It is possible to hunt with a 44 magnum revolver to 100 yards.

So by extension, a 400 grain 416 caliber bullet at 1100 fps should do what a 300 grain .44 bullet can do at 1200 fps.

At altitude the speed of sound decreases, so at 5100 feet, it's just over 1000 fps.

If you can hunt elk with a 300 grain 44 magnum bullet, you can also hunt it with a subsonic 416 of 400 grains.

If I did the calculation correctly, subsonic bullet drop at 200 yards when zeroed at 100 yards if three feet, or one meter.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.