Turning 30 06 Brass In To 270 Win Can It Be Done?

there's no doubt you can form the basic .270 Winchester out of 30-06 brass. I don't think anybody's saying you can't. But you end up with a case neck that's about .040" short. That'll work just fine as the .270 neck is pretty long anyway. But here's my one worry. Ever seen a 22 rimfire barrel that's had a ton of 22 short shot thru it? The chamber is ruined from errossion. Now the .270 has a much hotter flame path and of course much higher chamber pressures. I see nothing but a short throat life, but on the otherhand the guy with the .270 isn't going to be shooting a lot of rounds anyway.

So I'll conceed the argument, and call it a day
gary

You are correct that the short brass could be a problem but I'd say the barrel will probably be hammered before it gets there. Most of us trim .010" to .020" under anyway and that doesn't seem to matter much to most chambers.

Anyway, have a good one....
lefty

You are correct that the short brass could be a problem but I'd say the barrel will probably be hammered before it gets there. Most of us trim .010" to .020" under anyway and that doesn't seem to matter much to most chambers.

Anyway, have a good one....
lefty

first of all it's a hunting rifle, and will probably not see 75 shots a year, but on the otherhand most factory chambers have the necks cut a little on the long side to start out with. I had one Remington chamber and a couple Rugers with the necks cut close to .070" too long! Now if you add .05" plus the .04" you may see a serious errosion problem. One of the first things I always do is to measure the actual neck length cut in the chamber, and much of the time trimming is not needed very often. Anyway starting out .04" short will mean a good while before even condsidering a trim of the brass. You could be shooting with over .100" free bore.
gary

i was just looking for some 270 win Lapua Brass, and found noting but they make 30 06 so could i just let it threw a 270 win Die set???
has any one done this, and has it worked..
thanks..

Back in the 70's I used 30-06 military match brass and just used my .270 Win. die set with no problems at all.

I am short on time and have not read every reply but I wanted to add my 2 cents for what it's worth. Without getting into .0001 measurements or hours of metallurgy I can tell you forming 270, 25-06, or 8-06 from 30-06 mil brass is where the original rounds came form. One time full length sizing is all it takes. (Knowledge based on info from the late 60s-early 70s and Outdoor life's Shooting editor Jack O'conor and forming all the rounds my self. My 1972 POST 64 Winchester Mod 70 chambered in 270 has never had a factory round in it. I am using the same 1944 mil brass that I formed with my old Herter's press in 1974. The original 100 rounds were never annealed and I have had a few cracked necks the last year or two (From 1974) They are on there 10-12th firing. I have just started preparing 200 rounds of new brass. The same 1944 06 brass that I watch come out of a Browning machine gun in 1968. For anyone that wants to go off on my stealing the brass, it use to be thrown in a dumpster and dumped. It was a pain to dispose of and if anyone wanted it they could haul it off. I have about 800 rounds left. My son and grand son have brass for life. The Herter's press and dies are still going fine as is the powder drop and scale. I'm getting a little worn out. 2 years ago I fractured my shooting arm clavicle and the only ammo left in the house for hunting season was some 1974 130 gr loads. My son tested a few on a windy day using crossed sticks shooting my right handed rifle left handed at 100 yards. He shot 3 rounds and form a small clover leaf less then 3/8". Just to make young men grown. I have adjusted my scope one time since 1976 in Denver where i adjusted it to be on at 1" hi @200 yds. I moved it down to get me on at a hundred in Virginia. It's a 3x9 Bushnell Banner I paid $49 for in 72 in Ha. This is not a pampered rifle. It has scares from many adventures in the Rocky's of Calif and Sierra's of CO, the flat lands in Co. and the woods of Pa. and Va.
I would suggest annealing your brass prior to forming. It may be a few thousands short but after firing it 2-3 times check the length . They will grow a little.
Good luck, I think you will enjoy your 270 for life.
Ray

thanks every one for the reply!
i took your advise and just did it, i got a 30 06 case and let it threw a 270 die
it came out pretty good but its short about .6 mm

so its..
(30 06 to 270 coms out 63.8mm long > .6mm to short
the brass i shoot is 64.4mm long > will this matter

thanks every one and i it even worth geting 30 06 LAPUA brass ??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.