neck turning and how its done

BearCat

can somebody write how to go about neck turning as well answer a few of my questions I have do I shave the brass to meet the S.A.A.M.I requirements example I shoot the 7mm rem mag and the neck requirement is .315 do I shave to the neck to that measurement. I have brass that measure under as well as over I have calipers from the sinclair NT-4000 Premium Neck Turning kit not too sure what is needed or how to go about shaving off .005 to meet the max requirement on the brass, as well should a guy purchase a neck micrometer or can a guy get away with a normal micrometer. last question is it too late to neck turn on fired brass. thanks

I'm not going to write an essay on turning but I can tell you it's not necessary to turn any factory case for a factory rifle. All cases are made well within the correct range for all dimensions. All turning can do is make an already sloppy fit worse.

The MAX loaded 7 mag neck diameter is .315". Subtract the bullet diameter of .284" = .031"/2 = .0155" SAAMI maximum neck thickness. Not likely you gonna find any cases any thicker than 13-14 thou. so there's nothing to turn so far as spec.s go.

Last edited:
1. Absolutely not necessary with factory chamber.

2. Just do a search "neck turning" and more info than you want!

3. IMO, if you have to ask the question on how to meet SAAMI specs, then you probably do not want to be doing it right now. Do a lot more reading before touching a turner.

4. You will need a neck micrometer. Flat blade mike does not cut it.

BH

Good info thanks guys good to know factory guns do not require neck turning, and Bountyhunter with the SAAMI spec I want to get it right the first time and until I fully understand I will not be doing any neck turning. I am new to reloading a few years under my belt got the just of it but neck turning was a stumbling block lol thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.