Case neck length. . .can it be stretched?

STEEL SLINGER

I am looking to build a new 6.5 rifle and I am strongly looking at the 6.5-284. Barrel/throat life and other issues concerning the "HOT ROD" 6.5's is something I want to help slow down the process of and I have read that a case neck length of .330+/- is a good way to deal with such issues. So, my question is; Would it be possible to stretch the 6.5-284 neck from .295" to .325"/.330" length and how would a person do so?

I am looking to build a new 6.5 rifle and I am strongly looking at the 6.5-284. Barrel/throat life and other issues concerning the "HOT ROD" 6.5's is something I want to help slow down the process of and I have read that a case neck length of .330+/- is a good way to deal with such issues. So, my question is; Would it be possible to stretch the 6.5-284 neck from .295" to .325"/.330" length and how would a person do so?
Yes it is possible but it would be costly. You would need a new reamer to chamber with. You would need custom dies. You would have to form it out of a case that is longer. Now you would have to neck turn. You might even need form dies. I don't believe the round count on the barrel that you would gain would be worth the expense. The smaller the bores the more they erode. There is something I read about a 6.5 that gets 2 to 3 thousand rounds before the throat is shot. I can't remember what it was. A 6.5x47 lasts a little longer. Matt

Yes it is possible but it would be costly. You would need a new reamer to chamber with. You would need custom dies. You would have to form it out of a case that is longer. Now you would have to neck turn. You might even need form dies. I don't believe the round count on the barrel that you would gain would be worth the expense. The smaller the bores the more they erode. There is something I read about a 6.5 that gets 2 to 3 thousand rounds before the throat is shot. I can't remember what it was. A 6.5x47 lasts a little longer. Matt

+1

A lot of trouble for what will probably turn out to be little or no gain.
The neck is just a contributing factor, i dont think in and of itself it will make that much difference.
If barrel life is a concern you may be better suited to shoot a milder 260. Theres a bunch of good ones.

I don't believe you could form a longer neck 284, because I don't know of a longer 284Win diameter case to form it from. You could form a 284SHORT with a longer neck. That is, a 284 chamber left short(shorter body) which would provide for a longer neck.

I agree with others about gains in it(there are better choices).
And there is more to accurate barrel life than throat erosion anyway.

Thanks for the reply guys, but I currently shoot a 6.5x55 Swede and I am pushing it quicker than the 6.5x47 and the 260 Remmy, I even thought about making an IMP version. The Swede is a great cartridge! I have been keeping tabs on Rich's 6.5 Sherman Short Mag and am really liking the posted performance of it. . .I'm just not to sure about what all is involved in case work. . .is it very complicated or can the average reloader do it correctly?

It would be easy to make a .330" + neck length using one of the 06 size cases.

You should read up on The Sherman's. He wanted the longer neck and has done a lot of the homework.

His 6.5 Sherman seems as if it would fit your wants.

by using a 280 case he got the extra neck length if I recall.

So perhaps not an apples to apples correlation.

I have found the Sherman design very interesting, I have kept up on his short mag build since he posted it here on LRH. The original Sherman was on a 270Win case. . .I'm wanting something shorter than the `06 based cases. like the SSM, I'm just not sure on all the case work to get you there, YET ;-) ! ! ! I may just even blow out a 6.5 Swede to IMP and go that route since I already have a pile of Lapua brass. I'm just intrigued with the "lazer-like" trajectory of the 6.5 wildcats. . .and I'm wanting something different.

I would definitely consider 6.5x55 Ackley Improved. Surprising round. It's on my list of chamberings I would like to have at some point.

Many gunsmiths have and use a throating reamer that only reams the throat to extend throats.

You would have to check with the smith and see if he has one AND it is the correct diameter or you would have a throat of two diameters but both the same "caliber"

Buy a Defiance XM action and bottom metal. Then build a 6.5-7mm Mauser Improved. That will be shorter than an 06, have a long neck, and be different.

Edd, It is funny you mention this. . .I actually have a 6.5x57 mauser, but not IMP. I can't get the velocity out it like I can my Swede, and the mauser has 2 1/4" more barrel. It is shy by about 180fps. I know. . .180fps, what the hell does that matter! ! ! I may have to PM Elkoholic Rich and pick his brain a little. I'm hung up on a short fat case with a long neck spitt'n 140gr. A-Max's or VLD's at a muzzle velocity of 3000+/- fps from a 24"/26" tube.

:rolleyes: can't explain.

I'm hung up on a short fat case with a long neck spitt'n 140gr. A-Max's or VLD's at a muzzle velocity of 3000+/- fps from a 24"/26" tube.

:rolleyes: can't explain.

If you can do without the long neck, you should look at the GAP version of a 6.5 SAUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.