Powder scale crazy

Are you using a plastic pan?
Brass. Never heard of the contraptions talked about in recent posts about cleaning up the electrical current but in a way that makes sense. Might give one a shot. It's my understanding though that the powder cycling through the plastic standpipe creates static from the friction and that's the main cause. Nowadays I've got a routine of setting my electronic .1 over what I want then do a tap tap trickle into the pan on my beam scale. It's not fast but I'm not a high volume shooter.

I've tried several of the electronic scales and keep coming back to my 30 plus year old RCBS(ohaus) beam scale. It's not fast but it's accurate. A magnetic force balance is the way to go in electronic but the cheapest one the fxi is about $600. That and the v3 auto trickler is the way to go. I'm just too tight lol.

I was just throwing the Prometheus out here
I have rcbs 10/10 and a charge master lite
It does what I need to do with any powders for a fraction of the cost of the Prometheus
Prometheus 5100$ and I think it's set up for maybe 3 powders at a time
But it is extremely accurate and static resistance
I was just throwing it out there because of the static issues
I didn't know rcbs had gotten into the extreme high end scales

I was just throwing the Prometheus out here
I have rcbs 10/10 and a charge master lite
It does what I need to do with any powders for a fraction of the cost of the Prometheus
Prometheus 5100$ and I think it's set up for maybe 3 powders at a time
But it is extremely accurate and static resistance
I was just throwing it out there because of the static issues
I didn't know rcbs had gotten into the extreme high end scales
Not sure about "high end",But RCBS's Matchmaster is list priced at $1125 at Midway. Just wondering if it's worth the price of admission. I currently use an older Pact and an RCBS 10-10.

Yes sir they are high
I had a pact
Right now I'm using charge master lite and checking with my 10/10 but not every load and I haven't had a problem if I was going up I'd buy the A and D with auto trickier but I hear they are sensitive to electronics

Last edited:
This along with the 737max are examples of overtly complicated designs, to the extent that they are affected in more ways than simpler designs. What I believe you are experiencing is the effect of the phones radiation on the sampling clock which times the scale's sample rate and/or the power supply noise. For those that gave up their cable bill and use an antenna, go next to you antenna and make a cell call... you'll see this effect. In any case, I don't think a power conditioner would improve the situation and proof would be if you still see this when battery powered, if possible. Great catch, though, to identify the source!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about "high end",But RCBS's Matchmaster is list priced at $1125 at Midway. Just wondering if it's worth the price of admission. I currently use an older Pact and an RCBS 10-10.
The charge master 1500 I have which I paid just over $300 for I have seen for as much as $500 which is ridiculous for what it is I don't see how this Matchmaster can be worth the price

All the fairly cheap digitals including the chargemaster etc are strain gauges. If you move up to the next level of technology which is magnetic force restoration you eliminate some of the issues with the cheaper scales but your talking 600-700 bucks. I have a hornady autocharge its terrible. I may try the chargemaster light.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.