Powder scale

I have the Lyman micro touch 1500 digital powder scale and for the past while I have been noticing some inconsistencies with it so I decided to run a small test. I calibrated it and zeroed it. I put 40.4 grains in the pan it and left it sit on the scale. It has an automatic shut off after 5 minutes. By the time it shut down it climbed from 40.4 to 41.2. Changed batteries and tried it again with the same results. This is the second scale (different brands) in 2 years that I have had these issues. Makes it real tough to do load development. What kind, brand, make, price range, do I have to get to have a powder scale that actually works. This thing cost me $100 at Cabelas.
I have been thinking of getting one of the automated measures but I would be out a lot more if it happens with it. I just want a scale that works.
I have the sartorius entris 323 and love it. Much easier to level and so far has been great. Got rid of my old gem pro 250's (2 of them) for inconsistency's

I have an RCBS Chargemaster as well and the thing is just awesome. Hits spot on all the time. I do calibrate every time I turn it on and check it every five loads with the provided weights. It has never let me down.

If it makes any difference to anyone, I use nothing but my 30 year old beam scale to reload for many different firearms.

One trick I use to make the process faster for myself is to use a set of Lee powder scoops. I find the proper size to end up just a little light on the scale after one full scoop and then I take a partial scoop and trickle up to weight. It's pretty easy and time saving when one has a families worth of rifles to feed each year.

Just an idea to try to save some money.

the real answer is what is your accuracy requirements ?
hunting only
short range ?
a beam will do as will a charge master lite
target work and long range means modern electronics
as has been said
a&d fx120i

. I just want a scale that works.

here's my favorite, sometimes you can find one on ebay. i also have an old ohaus 10-10 that's very good.

58378484680__249BAD16-0194-485A-B549-DD62ED6B9940.JPG

Attachments

• 58378482847__6850AEB3-86B7-479B-B707-3937086A84E1.JPG
    58378482847__6850AEB3-86B7-479B-B707-3937086A84E1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
I am leaning towards a rcbs chargemaster light but simply because of the time of year and a ski vacation coming up in January the $400+ is out of the question right now so I am looking at a cheaper but I'm a bit sceptical on a cheap digital one again.
Dog Rocket mentioned the Ohaus 505 as a good beam scale. The beam scales don't seem to be as user friendly but at least they don't seem to go out of calibration. It should work until I get a chargemaster. is this a decent one.

charge master lite @ $269. Always on sale Charge master 1500 @$400 Good review here
http://panhandleprecision.com/rcbs-chargemaster-lite-review/

I use a Lyman DPS II to measure out the powder, then check it against my RCBS 5-0-5. If they agree, then I know the digital is correct. I then recheck every 10 rounds to be sure nothing has changed. Works for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.