Powder scale crazy

I have a RCBS Chargemaster,have had it for years, never a problem until we moved. The scale would fluctuate, never consistent, I was ready to throw it away. Somewhere I read about an "electric conditioner" and that has made ALL the difference. Now the scale is spot on and of course I always check every 5th round with a beam scale. I now use my Chargemaster with fluorescent lights on, music playing and cell phone use, no problems.
I bought the "conditioner" on Amazon, referred to as PDU power strip, sells for $43.16. According to the description it: It is more than a surge protector, it conditions the electricity. Don't use just a surge protector!
ELIMINATES RFI AND EMI: The built in ac noise filters get rid of unwanted radio frequency (RFI) and electromagnetic interference (EMI) to improve the stability of the equipment and prolong the service life of your electronics at home or office

I had the same problem with my Frankford IntelliDropper until I moved my phone 10 feet away from the scale. Static is also an occasional problem. My remedy is to wipe down the scale with a dryer sheet like Bounce.

I added a line conditioner for my scale, and that seemed to help also... We get lots of power fluctuations where I live...
Something like this:
Tripp Lite 600W 120V Power Conditioner, Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), AC Surge Protection, 6 Outlets (LS606M)

But it was several years ago, and I forget a lot...

Anyone else notice if electronic powder scale is effected by cell phone? Earlier today was loading some 338 win mag ammo , wife called the cell phone I answered it. While I was talking to her noticed my Lyman powder dispenser/scale was going hay wire. Bouncing all over the place from 0 to 6.whatever hung up phone with her and the scale quit bouncing . So I called her back and the same thing no matter where in my reloading room if the phone is on the scale goes crazy.
I'm not saying to talk on the phone while throwing charges but definitely watch other electronics around all powder scales
I see the same thing. Now I'm keeping my phone well away from scale.

And it's funny I have the Lyman powder-scale / dispenser I generally throw a grain light then trickle into my final charge. Also on an electronic scale that is not affected by the same things. I rezero each scale every third charge . It's a touch time consuming but it seems to work well for me

Anybody notice when you're going along weighing brass that they tend to weigh similiar weights for a while, then suddenly change to a new weight class for a while? I believe they are messing with me when they get the chance :( it defies the law of averages. Dave
Dave,
I have a Range Master 750. I use a dirt cheap Hornady powder dispenser (it was given to me so I really don't know much about it. But when you get it adjusted it saves time).

I noticed just what you are talking about...all of a sudden my charges were less...I check the zero and it off. I was dumping powder directly into the pan, then onto the scale. Even noticed if I weighed a bullet, then walked out of the room for a minute and then came back the bullet would have gained a little weight while I was gone.....

So I learned to never leave anything (bullets, cases or a powder charge) on the scale other than the empty powder pan. Also I don't dump directly into the pan then place it on the scale. I have a second pan that I dump powder in from my dispenser and use it to pour into the pan on the scale.

Since I started this I have not had a single issue. I think the scale likes to be 0.0 and stable before the powder is poured into the pan. With the pan off, the scale reads -143.3 so I feel the "0.0" wonders if you place the pan on the scale with powder before settled on the true 0.0

I got so tired of having to go back checking charge weights, that I almost gave up on it and went back to a beam scale.

Now if I have to pull bullets, I alway check the powder charges and they are spot on!

So do you need to build a wire cage around them (faraday cage) to protect them then?
Corey
At what point would it just be easier to weigh on a balance scale and simply check it once and a while with the electric's? That's my technique at this point and the electronic's are regulated to weighing case's and bullet's a job they seem well suited for. Also to weigh loaded rounds to catch any that weren't properly loaded for any reason, sort of a final check. I won't wear a tinfoil hat :oops: it would only confirm my wife's suspicions. Dave

Last edited:
When I worked in a Pawn shop back in the 70's (it was also a gun shop) we had a diamond scale that was in a closed glass cabnet to prevent air currents effecting the weight of Daimonds. I built a 3 sided box out of plexiglass (with a top cover) I keep around my charge master just to prevent air currents from flowing down or around the scale. No doors but it prevents air from my forced hot air system from effecting the scale. I also use a smaller one for my balance beam scale.

Yeah I gave up on trusting my Lyman electronic dispenser. I double check each charge on a beam scale and even with no electronics around it will get a wild hair every now and then and be off a couple tenths. Static also plays a big effect on it. Cleaning with windex after each powder change helped that part of it a bunch but I still don't trust it. That's the only electronic one I've been around so I don't know how the others are.
Are you using a plastic pan?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.