Powder scale crazy

wv270wsm

Anyone else notice if electronic powder scale is effected by cell phone? Earlier today was loading some 338 win mag ammo , wife called the cell phone I answered it. While I was talking to her noticed my Lyman powder dispenser/scale was going hay wire. Bouncing all over the place from 0 to 6.whatever hung up phone with her and the scale quit bouncing . So I called her back and the same thing no matter where in my reloading room if the phone is on the scale goes crazy.
I'm not saying to talk on the phone while throwing charges but definitely watch other electronics around all powder scales

Seems they are very sensitive, air currents, cell phones, fluorescent lights, and not giving them time to warm up before using to name a few. They still are great for loaded cartridge, bullet, and second opinion powder weight checking. I use both balance and electronic scales they compliment each other. Dave

Seems they are very sensitive, air currents, cell phones, fluorescent lights, and not giving them time to warm up before using to name a few. They still are great for loaded cartridge, bullet, and second opinion powder weight checking. I use both balance and electronic scales they compliment each other. Dave
ditto! Same process here Savage!

Anyone else notice if electronic powder scale is effected by cell phone? Earlier today was loading some 338 win mag ammo , wife called the cell phone I answered it. While I was talking to her noticed my Lyman powder dispenser/scale was going hay wire. Bouncing all over the place from 0 to 6.whatever hung up phone with her and the scale quit bouncing . So I called her back and the same thing no matter where in my reloading room if the phone is on the scale goes crazy.
I'm not saying to talk on the phone while throwing charges but definitely watch other electronics around all powder scales
Cell phone signals Bluetooth Wi-Fi and fluorescent lighting will all affect electronic scales

Yeah I gave up on trusting my Lyman electronic dispenser. I double check each charge on a beam scale and even with no electronics around it will get a wild hair every now and then and be off a couple tenths. Static also plays a big effect on it. Cleaning with windex after each powder change helped that part of it a bunch but I still don't trust it. That's the only electronic one I've been around so I don't know how the others are.

The Lyman scales have a lot off design problems that have been discussed on other forums - if you are going to get an electronic scale, get an RCBS.
Thanks, but I already went the full auto stupid route with a $600 unit... ( I have to be careful how I breathe to keep it from registering a 0.02 gr change...about 1 kernel of H4350...)

In MHO, the price of a scale is directly related to how much interference is caused by electronics/lighting.
Seems to be a fact...….I have two and they only agree with each other about 1/2 the time. The RCBS ohaus scale is still the most dependable load after load. Thought my plug in electronic would fix the problem with the battery one shutting down to save charge all the time, problem is I don't trust either. Anybody notice when you're going along weighing brass that they tend to weigh similiar weights for a while, then suddenly change to a new weight class for a while? I believe they are messing with me when they get the chance :( it defies the law of averages. Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts