The Perfert 338 Lapua Mag Build

Jill and I want to re-start a build that was in progress for a 338 LM right at the time of my neck spinal cord operations. We had to put that build on hold over four years ago. Now that am feeling a little better and we have all the equipment to make an ELR build Jill sas "Go For It". I have my ideas, but thtere are a lot more and better ideas out there.
For those of us that are interested ELR what would be your pertfict build if money wasn't involved. This is on a 338 Lapua Mag . What Action, Trigger, Barrel (material,lenght & twist) What chassis, What scope. Then what bullet weight/brand, case brand, and powder along with some custom loads to go with your configuration. You have 10 seconds-go now!. Naw maybe by the begining of next week. Jill and I are shooting for three days Friday/Sat/Sun and will stay off the computers to fucus and relax on shooting only.
Thanks
Len & Jill
The best build listed may be the one we build. and if it is built you will be invited to shoot ELR.

1619890668234.png

The military has thrown the .338 Lapua under the bus while accepting the .338 Norma Mag and .300 Norma Mag as better cartridges for ELR targets.

This rifle is a .338 Norma Mag. on a Badger Ordnance 2013 action with a Bartlein 28" SS fluted barrel. I used the BO FTE brake and Surgeon DBM bottom metal. The scope is an older USO 3.8 - 22 in OD. The stock is a Manners T4A.

There are 1/2 dozen excellent actions built specifically to handle the .590" rim diameter so opinions only count if you choose the same action. Do some searching to see what's available nowadays, you might be surprised. ;):)

Have fun deciding!

The 338 Norma definitely shines when loading from a detachable magazine like AICS. The Lapua thrives when properly throated to seat a 300 grain at 3.9"+ (which is one reason why I went with a single shot action).

I shoot both Lapua Improved and Norma Improved. The difference is ~8 grains difference in charge weight and 100-150 fps in favor of the Lapua with 300 grain bullets. The Norma might be a little less finicky to develop.

Lapua Improved on left, Norma Improved on right. The Lapua definitely has more headroom.

PXL_20210501_232123219.jpg

The military has thrown the .338 Lapua under the bus while accepting the .338 Norma Mag and .300 Norma Mag as better cartridges for ELR targets.

I disagree that the Norma magnums are objectively better for ELR when strictly considering ballistic performance, especially if you go with an improved chamber in both. The military has other criteria besides pure performance, such as the need to load reliably from a magazine. The 150 fps difference between the Norma AI and Lapua AI makes a big difference at ELR ranges - like 3 mils elevation at 2000 yards. For an ELR target shooter with a custom throat and Ackley chamber, the Lapua gives more performance. There is no replacement for displacement.

The Norma is still a beast though! I love them both.

Thats the thing my friends are doing 2000 yrd shoots,the extra capacity and 30'' type tubes help.Surgeon i love your build Friend has same barrel

ELR so go as heavy as you can - especially with spinal cord operation.
Copy ELR setups - you won't find many on a hunting site.

You want a 16# rifle you could hunt with or just 40# competition?

get comp stock

axle shaft barrel

huge action

I shoot an 11 lb Lapua that can shoot 6" groups at 1000 yd, 300 gr Bergers at 2900 fps. 30" Proof. Stiller action. Triggertech diamond, Manners EH1. Mark IV 7-35. FB Gen 3 brake. Excellent hunting setup.
But Not what you want for ELR target.

This is one of mine I hunt with 11-2oz as seen 338NM Proof 26" TacII spurh mark 5 5-25x56 What are you guys getting with your Norma improved? Ive shot the 300 otm for ten years but playing with the 240-50,bulldozers

Attachments

• 3E7BC13E-E8C1-4368-B767-7BD7CDB05A6F.jpeg
    3E7BC13E-E8C1-4368-B767-7BD7CDB05A6F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Just put this lapua ai together havent shot it yet but hoping to see 3150mv with 250 coppers has 30 inch proof kelbly action
Nice! What twist did you put in it and where are you getting brass from? We haven't decided on the Ai or just the 338 Laupa. Is there that much better preformance?
Thanks
Len & Jill