338 Lapua ???

Have you considered the 338 Edge.. the receiver isn't as bulky and a bit lighter. I'm getting 3010 FPS out of a standard edge, 28" bartline 1-10 twist using 300 grn otm's, 108 grn's of Rl 33 low es's & sd's. I'm guessing you could get even more speed with the improved.

Tom

Is it a single shot or does it mag feed with the 300gr?

Is it a single shot or does it mag feed with the 300gr?
I have a Stiller predator so it is a repeater however I only put one in at a time, I don't want the bullets moving deeper into the case every time I shoot The gun. The reason for using the 338 edge is to have a lot of whop at a long distance and accuracy is king. The chamber was cut with almost no throat, I seat the bullets deep, they are 2.970 to the ogive using the 300grn OMT. I believe seating the bullets this deep in the case may be part of the reason for my getting such a good speed out of the standard edge. I also use HBN coated bullets. I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the RL 33 was designed specifically for the 338 Lapua, The best I could get with 92grns of H1000 out of the same rifle was 2800+ or minus a few feet and had Real pressure sign. I love this RL 33!

Tom

I believe seating the bullets this deep in the case may be part of the reason for my getting such a good speed out of the standard edge.
Having a bullet seated really deep reduces useable case capacity, and generally lowers the maximum velocity capable at a given pressure. You generally will reach said pressure with less powder as well, beacause as stated, you are reducing useable case capacity. Your HBN coating may offset that difference some however.

These are just generalities for ballistics, you see the most efficient cartridges/loads usually have the bullet intruding minimally on case capacity. Obviously not hard set rules though. A couple of my rifles have exceptional performance without normal pressure signs, and the bullet is seated significantly into the powder column.

Have you considered the 338 Edge.. the receiver isn't as bulky and a bit lighter. I'm getting 3010 FPS out of a standard edge, 28" bartline 1-10 twist using 300 grn otm's, 108 grn's of Rl 33 low es's & sd's. I'm guessing you could get even more speed with the improved.

Tom
Id suggest trying a different chronagraph. Even without one, a good elevation chart will closely indicate what your velocity actually is.
It still all boils down to powder capacity.

Having a bullet seated really deep reduces useable case capacity, and generally lowers the maximum velocity capable at a given pressure.
The case would not accept any more powder, I'm crunching 108grns. Also it is my impression that seating the Bullet deeper creates more pressure in the case.

Tom

Id suggest trying a different chronagraph. Even without one, a good elevation chart will closely indicate what your velocity actually is.
It still all boils down to powder capacity.
You can't get any more powder into the case, I'm crunching it pretty good. Wether you think it's enough or not the gun is producing 3010 FPS! As for the chronograph-FPS I've done the testing, shooting at targets 100yrd 200.. etc out to 1300.

Tom

Last edited:
That speed from an Edge is definitely fast, not saying you are running it too hard but it may be the exceptional barrel. Im with Cody, stuffing a bullet into a case doesn't automatically make it have more pressure. Stuffing it deeper into a case may with a given powder charge however. Depends on the situation (particulars). I'm betting if you had that thing throated longer you would get even more speed, if you set the OAL longer to allow more powder in the case.

Tom
Wow!

108 grains is a bunch. Happy for you. I stopped at 103.

That speed from an Edge is definitely fast, not saying you are running it too hard but it may be the exceptional barrel. Im with Cody, stuffing a bullet into a case doesn't automatically make it have more pressure. Stuffing it deeper into a case may with a given powder charge however. Depends on the situation (particulars). I'm betting if you had that thing throated longer you would get even more speed, if you set the OAL longer to allow more powder in the case.
Sincerely, 108 is the max for this particular case using Remington brass, I've put 109 and saw no difference in FPS, also noticed that it was moving the bullet forward, would not seat as well.

Tom

You can't get any more powder into the case, I'm crunching it pretty good. Wether you think it's enough or not the gun is producing 3010 FPS! As for the chronograph-FPS I've done the testing, shooting at targets 100yrd 200.. etc out to 1300.

Tom
Put it this way, thats about as much velocity as we can get in PA with a 338x378 or a 416 case using a 300 gr.
Could be the elevation is helping, but for sure thats fast for the size case your using.

Put it this way, thats about as much velocity as we can get in PA with a 338x378 or a 416 case using a 300 gr.
Could be the elevation is helping, but for sure thats fast for the size case your using.
I do understand that this is fast for the standard edge! I Live in Alaska and I shoot paper at around 500 feet and when I hunt I usually go up around 3000 to 4000 feet.

Tom

Well i dont suppose elevation matters anyway at the muzzel or 10' away.
But i can tell you we cant quite reach 3000 fps with a 338x378 case using numerous different powders with a 300 gr bullet from a 30" barrel.
3050 with the standard 416 case from a 36" barrel, registered on an Ohler 35.
Yet shooting at distance both guns shoot flatter than a standard Lapua or an Edge.
Most guys i know have switched to lighter bullets in the 338x378 and smaller cases in order to gain velocity,
and out to at least 1500 have found better performance.
Even the larger cases like the Big Baer, 3250 from a 34" barrel using 137 gr of powder with a 300 gr.
Yet sit that side by side with any of the others and it's no contest.